• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where is this text located.

Ken_Shea

Is there any significant difference? as is the site is running smoothly, fast, not perfect in every way but doubtful CE is either, wondering if further expense to upgrade is worth it or needed at this point.

Heather, I understand it's my call, and I'm not apposed to upgrading but, I was looking for advice, being told I should upgrade is not helpful. I also understand it's not your job to educate me :)  so I'm good with the CE recommendation.

BS Edge was never officially updated either according to every check from withing OSC admin so who knows on CE. Only reason moving to BS Edge was mobile support. That was a good move.

11 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

being told I should upgrade is not helpful.

Sorry if you do not find that helpful, take it or leave it - I was glad to receive the same advice a while back.

13 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

so who knows on CE

There have been over 30 updates since launch in 2019 - enhancements are ongoing.

@Ken_Shea Apart from having a new code base (ish) which is secure and up to date, Phoenix is also really easy to upgrade as long as no core files have been touched and messed with. Everything is modular. Adding some addons is as simple as upload the files to the correct places, go to admin and install and configure. Along with the fact that Phoenix is suitable for smaller devices as its bootstrap based it will keep the great gods at google, and other search engines happy as its mobile friendly and will show the site in mobile searches. Many of my customers use a smaller device and say the site is good, and that's without upgrading to Phoenix.

I fully understand about the expense of upgrading from a rather long in the tooth system, I am on an edge version with was bootstrap 3 compatible, which you have probably spent lots of time and money on making all those little changes to make the site suitable for your use. Your biggest problem will be when most hosts turn off PHP versions under 7 (many have stopped supporting these early versions already) as the site will take lots of updating then, and of course things like javascript is constantly being updated.

Suppport on these forums is getting less and less for the older versions. Developers just are not wasting time on early versions, and who can blame them, so getting any help may be harder in the future.

Your website is the gateway to your business and if you decide to invest in that gateway its entirely up to you. If you are happy with what you have then leave it as is. I also hate it when the fraternity say that you must upgrade, or you should upgrade. Its up to you as only you know your business and customers.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

6 minutes ago, Heatherbell said:

Sorry if you do not find that helpful, take it or leave it - I was glad to receive the same advice a while back.

There have been over 30 updates since launch in 2019 - enhancements are ongoing. 

I appreciated your input Heather, I am sorry if it came across as if I didn't, I'm kinda a literal black and white sort of person and it get me into trouble at times.

I think you may be as well :)

Were those automatically updated or manually applied to various sections as needed.

16 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

Were those automatically updated or manually applied to various sections as needed.

All cool - easy to misunderstand posts.
Updates are still manually done - usually just a matter of uploading new files to overwrite the old.
Having woken up one day to a broken store, upgrading to Phoenix for us was a matter of trying to future proof our business upon which we and our employees are dependent!

I'm looking into upgrading now from a programmer, a well known person here on OSC that has done a lot of work for me on my existing version, I'd mention his name if I could but recall reading we are not supposed to mention names of those we have hired.

Am hoping it doesn't require modification to a lot of work he's already done.

4 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

OH, meant to ask, does CE use existing data base ?

Sounds like you're in good hands and they should be fully conversant with Phoenix.
Database is slightly different but no so much as to cause problems - we managed ourselves and we are not professionals.

Archived