• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

error 500 Admin HTTP Authentication

undersiege

Hello,

So i've started a new site with the Phoenix CE v1.0.5.0, and my PHP is 7.3.

But after confire and remove the whole thing and re-configure 3 times, i always have an error 500 while editing the Administrator username/password.

I always use a new username/password and tick the Protect box. And when i click save i have a error 500.

image.thumb.png.c50c46cc47a0da74a90ff1a67bcbf33a.png

I put this 2 files on writable (777), i still have the same issue after multiples try. But i just do the password folder security on my host serveur panel. Is it ok like that ?

Also i have a problem with the configure.php security :

image.png.01d8d699382142d6ebf602a1fdcba5f7.png

> i've puted the file on 644 but the message remain. Maybe another thing that i missunderstood.. needs help for this tto please ;)

Thanks !

2 hours ago, undersiege said:

But i just do the password folder security on my host serveur panel. Is it ok like that ?

Yes.  It's safer for the files not to be writable.  But then you have to manually keep them in synch. 

2 hours ago, undersiege said:

i've puted the file on 644 but the message remain. Maybe another thing that i missunderstood.. needs help for this tto please

Try 444. 

Always back up before making changes.

29 minutes ago, undersiege said:

- i think i don't understand what exactly i have to keep synch with what

You want the username/password that you set in your host server panel to be the same as the username/password set in the store admin.  Because when you authenticate through the host method, it will try to apply the same username/password to the store admin.  If they are set the same in both places, it will log you in.  If not, you have to log in twice.  Once with each credentials. 

32 minutes ago, undersiege said:

- it doens't stay on 444, i changed it and look after it comes back to 644

Then you are on the second part of the advice:  "contact your host to do it for you" since they won't let you do it yourself. 

Always back up before making changes.

• 8 months later...

The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code that means something has gone wrong on the website's server. 

Cause of HTTP 500 Errors
Like we mentioned above, Internal Server Error messages indicate that something, in general, is wrong. Most of the time, "wrong" means an issue with the page or site's programming, but there's certainly a chance that the problem is on your end

Fix the 500 Internal Server Error

Reload the web page. You can do that by selecting the refresh/reload button, pressing F5 or Ctrl+R, or trying the URL again from the address bar.

Even if the 500 Internal Server Error is a problem on the web server, the issue might just be temporary. Trying the page again will often be successful.

Clear your browser's cache. If there's a problem with the cached version of the page you're viewing, it could be causing HTTP 500 issues.

Delete your browser's cookies. Some 500 Internal Server Error issues can be corrected by deleting the cookies associated with the site you're getting the error on.

After removing the cookie(s), restart the browser and try again.

Troubleshoot as a 504 Gateway Timeout error instead. It's not very common, but some servers produce a 500 Internal Server Error when in reality 504 Gateway Timeout is a more appropriate message based on the cause of the problem.

I hope this information will be useful in resolving the 500 server error.

Tim Paine

Archived