mariolensa

Lost styling in Catalog

I have lost all the styling in our shop. I presume it must be something to do with permissions but I'm not aware that I have changed anything. Any advice appreciated.

@mariolensa

Which version of osC? Which version of PHP?

I assume (?) that your shop *used* to work, and that something changed, resulting in your loss of styling?

M

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

osCommerce v2.3.4   PHP 5.3.29   

Yes, it 'used' to work, and I suspect that it is something that I have done. It could be a permissions issue.   We were having an issue with PayPal IPN notifications, so I added HTTPS to the site. I'm fairly confident I did this successfully, BUT the styling issue happened before I did that, and is still the same after doing it. 

We are a small arts organisation more than a business - and although I'm not an expert - I have managed to install and manage the system for many years. It's only a problem when there is a problem!!  The shop is at www.folkmusic.net/catalog   (Our magazine site is www.livingtradition.co.uk)

Looking in your HTML, one problem is

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.5.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

The // should have an https: in front. 

There's also something wrong with how your Javascript is loading.  Did you perhaps delete or otherwise modify permissions of the ext directory?  It either needs to be readable or you need to move the Javascript out of it. 

Always back up before making changes.

Thanks, I'll go and try this.  All this is a strange language to me, but I usually get there in the end. Once you find the solution, it is easy - its just the hours of head scratching in between!  I probably did change the permissions on the ext directory. I think something in the admin section suggested I should.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.5.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

Excuse my ignorance. But which file will I find this in?

51 minutes ago, ecartz said:

Looking in your HTML, one problem is

The // should have an https: in front. 

There's also something wrong with how your Javascript is loading.  Did you perhaps delete or otherwise modify permissions of the ext directory?  It either needs to be readable or you need to move the Javascript out of it. 

Excuse my ignorance - but which file is this text in?

I found it in /includes/template_top.php   I made the change but still no styling. The files in the ext directory are all readable.

<?php
  define('HTTP_SERVER', 'https://www.folkmusic.net');
  define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://www.folkmusic.net');
  define('ENABLE_SSL', true);
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/catalog/');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');
  define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');
  define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');
  define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');
  define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');
  define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');
  define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/folkmusi/public_html/catalog/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost');
  define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'XXXXXXXXXX');
  define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'XXXXXXXXXX');
  define('DB_DATABASE', 'XXXXXXXXXXXXX');
  define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');
  define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');
  define('CFG_TIME_ZONE', 'Europe/London');
?>

The directories are 755.  I had also set the files in these to 755 to try to make sure that they had the necessary permissions - but I don't want to create any security issues long term.

Could it be anything to do with .htaccess files?

6 hours ago, ecartz said:

Maybe.  But are the directories?  Try this link:  https://www.folkmusic.net/catalog/ext/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.min.css

When I click on this link it comes up with  - forbidden. Yet the permissionsame grant read access as far as I know. This suggests to me that this might be the root of the problem. Could any other setting be preventing access. A .htaccess file perhaps.  I'll go and look.

Thanks everyone. Problem solved. It was the htaccess file   I'm not sure who put it there - but all the evidence points to me! In my defence, I rarely have to sort anything, but when I do its a bit like getting lost in a car and recognising a route - only to discover that it the way you got lost before. I suppose a smart person would get a map!

The bonus though - big thanks to Burt - is that I now know what Groundhog Day is.

What is the best way to thank people for their help?  Should I make a donation to the community or is it the done thing to donate to individuals?