• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

shop stopped sending email notifications

weser

dear all

i just realised that my oscommerce shop v2.3.3.4 stopped sending me email notifications informing me of new orders. has anyone ever had this problem? obviously i checked my email server, spam box etc, but it seems that the shop just stopped sending the emails. any help much appreciated!

daniel

A previously working email system that stops working is usually the result of a change at the hosting level.  I.e. ask your host what changed since (last time you received an email).  One common problem is using a sending email address with a different domain than your store.  Many hosts restrict that. 

Before doing that, you may want to find out if it is sending emails to customers or through Contact Us. 

And you might try Harald's test script: 

Always back up before making changes.

when browsing the other thread and seeing screenshots posted by other oscommerce users i noted that in the "E-mail Options" in my shop the option "Send HTML or Text Invoices to Customers" is not there at all. any idea why that is? was it never there? did it disappear all of a sudden?

i was using the shop like it is for almost 8 years and until last tuesday everything was working just fine, then it just stopped sending out order notifications & confirmation emails.

6 minutes ago, weser said:

when browsing the other thread and seeing screenshots posted by other oscommerce users i noted that in the "E-mail Options" in my shop the option "Send HTML or Text Invoices to Customers" is not there at all. any idea why that is? was it never there? did it disappear all of a sudden?

It looks like an App, so probably never there.  There are only five configuration entries in the current base version, and that looks familiar to me.  I.e. I think it has been that way for a while.  Eight years seems quite possible. 

Always back up before making changes.

thanks for the clarifications.

unfortunately, so far i had no luck fixing the notifivation/confirmation problem. i am quite sure everything is in order on my part and my server/provider hasn't made any relevant changes either.

@weser

1) Use the script that @ecartz posted in his first reply. This will determine if your (host's) server (and/or your shop's configuration) is configured correctly to send emails, and in what form.

2) Hosts have often made changes to their servers, but won't admit that they made any changes. Stuff happens.

3) Email security and 'best practices' have changed in the last 8 years. So, even if you and your host has not made any changes, changes anywhere along the path where an email travels could result in the inability to have your emails received.

but, let's start with first things first. Run the script mentioned above ...

Malcolm

@ArtcoInc

thanks for the reply and patience.

i ran the script now and received this error in my browser:-

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '?' in /homepages/39/d26756199/htdocs/catalog/email_test.php on line 2"

but unfortunately i received no emails. in my shop configs both the "email from" and "send extra order email" have the same domain as the shop.

so i guess i will give my host a call tomorrow and see if they have something to say.

cheers!

@weser

What version of PHP is your shop running?

The script in the link above was 'updated' for PHP v7.x , and it may fail under an older version of PHP.

Check out this thread. There are scripts in there that should work with older versions of PHP

Malcolm

@ArtcoInc

thank you! it seems the other script worked.

i got the following message in my browser: 

Mail function succeeded
Mail function succeeded with -f parameter

and i received 2 emails.

so does this mean the problem is with oscommerce as the other thread suggests?

cheers!

• 1 month later...

hello again

it seems the trouble i have with the notification emails has indeed something to do with my server / provider. 

now my oscommerce shopped stopped working altogether sending me a "1142 insert ..." warning. i can neither login into my backend, nor does the frontend / shop appear anymore. just talked to my provider and the problem is that my database has exceeded it's limit of 1gb.

so i was looking through the database and noticed a folder named "sessions" which has 1.1gb alone. it is filled with around 1.7 million  files named like this:

sesskey: 013cd4dfbde0cf3f3fa8e76adf4ba439 / expiry: 1555101834 / value: sessiontoken|s:32:"a214357d9eebd7a36954f08e9f3f478...

does anybody know what those files are? can (some of) those be deleted?

at first i wanted to delete product pictures, but realised the entire folder of my shop is just 150 mb in size, so i have to make room somewhere else in the database.

any hints would be much appreciated!

daniel

29 minutes ago, burt said:

Just truncate (EMPTY) the sessions table.  Do not delete (DROP) the table.

great, thanks! so, just to make sure - i can delete all the 1.7 million files in "sessions" and just leave the folder empty, yes? i'm quite anxious ;-)

do i have to just do this from time to time? will those files keep piling up again?

merci!

Archived