• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SMTP with authentication on Phoenix 1.0.5.0

bodhizatfa

Am 26.4.2020 um 19:00 schrieb bodhizatfa:

Hi Gustavo,

Thanks for responding. Yes I've looked through the topic, and read through pretty much every other post to see if I could find the answers. I still haven't found the answer. My amateur understanding of Phoenix is that the core will remain intact and there will be modules developed to expand Phoenix's functionality, kind of like WordPress.  Wordpress had the same issues and someone developed a  plugin to address SMTP functions. I'm exploring Phoenix 1.0.5.0 right now.  Even as an amateur, if I look at the updates leading up to 1.0.6.0, all of the previous SMTP patches simply won't work because the file structures have changed significantly.  The team is focusing on streamlining the core from what I can see. SMTP functionality and authentication are both realities that everyone lives with.   I am sure someone will develop an add-on solution.  I would develop one, but I am not even close to being a coder. 

You can of course use the appropriate module, but it won't work without a small change in the core class. I don't understand what the difference should be, to change the class directly or to have it changed with a plugin. For security reasons, SMTP authentication will be the new standard for sending emails

On 8/18/2020 at 5:49 AM, YePix said:

You can of course use the appropriate module, but it won't work without a small change in the core class. I don't understand what the difference should be, to change the class directly or to have it changed with a plugin. For security reasons, SMTP authentication will be the new standard for sending emails

It does require a change in the core to get it working as it stands right now.  

3 hours ago, bodhizatfa said:

It does require a change in the core to get it working as it stands right now. 

just override the email class in email.php

place the file in includes\system\override

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

1 hour ago, Mikepo said:

just override the email class in email.php

place the file in includes\system\override

Mike what version are you running?

I'm now on 1.0.7.5. been a while since I started this thread.

11 hours ago, bodhizatfa said:

what version are you running? 

I still developing my phoenix shop, running the latest version 1.0.7.7

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, bodhizatfa said:

The file absolutely works!  Thanks so much. You were right Matt that I will need to do some configuring to get Phoenix to switch to the override/email.php file.  I am here to learn so I will give it a try.  Also for anyone else wanting to do this, in the My Store configuration you need to change the "email from" setting  "your name" <info@ yourstore> to info@yourstore.  The reply-to's have to match.

Hello Stewart. 
I have exactly the same needs as yours that basically depend on this isssue here:

On 4/27/2020 at 7:40 PM, PiLLaO said:

I found your post because I was having trouble with hotmail, They mark as spam my emails, and from my hosting tell to me that I should use SMTP.

After this, I checked on Phoenix v1.0.5.8 with sendmail and hotmail don't have marked as SPAM my emails, so... it's funny x'D

Could you point me out on how you solved the problem?

Thank you in advance.

I have come to the final stage of checking everything on my Phoenix 1.0.7.7 store before opening it to the public and a 500 error is displayed immediately after clicking on the "finalize and pay for my order" button at check-out confirmation.

I have updated from a 1.0.7.6 version where orders could be confirmed correctly.

I even tried a second upload of all the 1.0.7.7 files, however, the 500 error on check-out is still there. 

Any idea on where the culprit may be?

57 minutes ago, ecartz said:

A 500 error is simply telling you that there was an error on the server.  Check the error logs for a more precise error. 

Matt, thanks a lot. 

After following your advice, I checked the error logs on the server and realized I had left the following file behind:

Save this email.php file in a directory named includes/system/override (which you will probably have to create) and see if it starts working. 

in the attempt to deal with the following issue (which still remains unsolved):

On 4/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, bodhizatfa said:

The file absolutely works!  Thanks so much. You were right Matt that I will need to do some configuring to get Phoenix to switch to the override/email.php file.  I am here to learn so I will give it a try.  Also for anyone else wanting to do this, in the My Store configuration you need to change the "email from" setting  "your name" <info@ yourstore> to info@yourstore.  The reply-to's have to match.

Hello Stewart. 
I have exactly the same needs as yours that basically depend on this isssue here:

On 4/27/2020 at 7:40 PM, PiLLaO said:

I found your post because I was having trouble with hotmail, They mark as spam my emails, and from my hosting tell to me that I should use SMTP.

After this, I checked on Phoenix v1.0.5.8 with sendmail and hotmail don't have marked as SPAM my emails, so... it's funny x'D

Could you point me out on how you solved the problem?

Thank you in advance.

How can any customer registering on the shop with a hotmail or gmail address get an email confirmation for their order if non-SMTP authenticated emails get blocked before being delivered to hotmail/gmail addresses?

4 hours ago, mendoh said:

Save this email.php file in a directory named includes/system/override (which you will probably have to create) and see if it starts working.

OK.  But what actual error was that file causing?  It's possible that someone might be able to help you with that. 

Note that while Stewart has not gotten it working by following those instructions, he has gotten it working by jamming the contents of the file in a different location.  It does still require installing PHPMailer and configuring it.  I know nothing about configuring PHPMailer, so I can't give you any guidance with that.  But still, someone else might be able to do so.  For example, Stewart did apparently get that part of it working. 

4 hours ago, mendoh said:

How can any customer registering on the shop with a hotmail or gmail address get an email confirmation for their order if non-SMTP authenticated emails get blocked before being delivered to hotmail/gmail addresses?

This seems more like a hosting problem.  I have certainly sent emails to my gmail address through a sendmail executable.  If your host doesn't support that, I would recommend switching hosts to one that does.  Note that talking about non-SMTP emails is simply nonsense.  All emails are SMTP.  The difference is the three kinds of access to SMTP.  The sendmail kind is a local executable on the PHP server.  The "SMTP" kind is a local SMTP server on the PHP server (primarily for Windows).  The authenticated kind is a remote SMTP server.  So what your host is saying is that rather than handling the authentication for you, they want you to authenticate manually.  Because that's less work for them.  I'd suggest saving them even more work and switching to a different host.  Note that two of the certified developers are associated with hosting services. 

Eventually, I'm sure that someone is going to have to spend resources to get authenticated SMTP working.  There seems to be a hope that "someone" will be either me or Burt.  But even if it was, then I can tell you, that it would be released as a supporters' code rather than in core.  So it might be better to approach one of the certified developers about it.  As they are more likely to simply update the existing authenticated SMTP App with PHPMailer to work with Phoenix.  It shouldn't even be that difficult, as I already rewrote and posted the code to do it.  So what's left is essentially writing the instructions for installing and configuring PHPMailer and bundling the files properly. 

Rainer supports a large number of legacy Apps that are no longer supported by their writers.  John has experience with custom email configuration.  Preston likes to write Javascript package installers.  It's possible that any or all of them might be interested in that kind of project. 

Another alternative would be filing a feature request with PHP.  There is of course no reason why they couldn't implement authenticated SMTP in PHP itself.  Then you would just have to configure it properly and you'd be able to use the mail function normally with a remote SMTP server.  That would fix not just this software but PHP software in general. 

Always back up before making changes.

9 hours ago, ecartz said:

OK.  But what actual error was that file causing?  It's possible that someone might be able to help you with that. 

Note that while Stewart has not gotten it working by following those instructions, he has gotten it working by jamming the contents of the file in a different location.  It does still require installing PHPMailer and configuring it.  I know nothing about configuring PHPMailer, so I can't give you any guidance with that.  But still, someone else might be able to do so.  For example, Stewart did apparently get that part of it working. 

Matt's absolutely right.

Matt's email.php is 100%.

I installed PHPMailer in /includes/apps/  

Matt's also right that I temporarily patched my store so I could start selling stuff, while I figure out how to override email.php while maintaining PHPMailer functions.  I'm not a coder, just a store owner. 

PHPmailer is the extra plot twist :)

15 hours ago, mendoh said:

Also for anyone else wanting to do this, in the My Store configuration you need to change the "email from" setting  "your name" <info@ yourstore> to info@yourstore.  The reply-to's have to match.

I am very comfortable with databases.  I modified it there.

9 hours ago, ecartz said:

So it might be better to approach one of the certified developers about it.  As they are more likely to simply update the existing authenticated SMTP App with PHPMailer to work with Phoenix.  It shouldn't even be that difficult, as I already rewrote and posted the code to do it.  So what's left is essentially writing the instructions for installing and configuring PHPMailer and bundling the files properly. 

Once again Matt is right.  He provided a working code for email.php and I greatly appreciate it.

I too believe that the Phoenix core needs to remain free of patches.  I am trying to with my limited skills in my free time, to come up with an acceptable solution for SMTP with PHPmailer that will first need to be approved by Burt and Matt.  This may take me a while because I am still learning about Phoenix's functionality.

If you need to get it done correctly and rapidly, I would follow Matts suggestion and hire one of the Phoenix certified developers to get it done for you. 

10 hours ago, ecartz said:

Another alternative would be filing a feature request with PHP.  There is of course no reason why they couldn't implement authenticated SMTP in PHP itself.  Then you would just have to configure it properly and you'd be able to use the mail function normally with a remote SMTP server.  That would fix not just this software but PHP software in general. 

I agree 100% with this as well.  It would make life so much easier. :)

Archived