Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Mary Calaveris

CE-Phoenix 1.0.5.5 changes to "! Please select an item in the list" javascript warning.

Running CE-Phoenix 1.0.5.5 changes to "! Please select an item in the list" javascript warning. 

I am hoping to have it read in English:

"! Please kindly select an item in this list"

I am hoping to have it read in French:

"! Veuillez sélectionner un article dans cette liste"

Does anyone know a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

!Please select an item in the list Java.png

Apparently you have to set an onInvalid event handler in Javascript:  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25015912/how-to-change-required-msg-for-dropdown-list

Note that that question was closed as a duplicate.  So you may want to click through to the other question to see more discussion. 

If it's not clear, that message is set by the browser.  So you would be overloading the browser behavior with the Javascript. 

Always back up before making changes.

This message is browser based. 

If you are using a browser with system preferences (ie local language in the browser) set to EN (english), the message displays in English. 
If you are using a browser with system settings FR, it will display in French.  Or at least, it should.

Note that "browser language" is not the same as selecting a language in your website via the language dropdown.

Here is a good read:

https://pageclip.co/blog/2018-02-20-you-should-use-html5-form-validation.html

Help shape the future of Phoenix; join the Phoenix Club

Thank you, Mr. Gary Burt, for your input, and you are totally correct as the default errors are translated into the user's local language. e.g. If a user is reading my site in French, the default error messages will be in French.

For your helpful information, I shall have no choice but to plant a kiss on both sides of your cheeks as such is customary in France 💋:sleep:💋