Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sorry for the vague title but I wan't sure how else to label this.

I am looking for an attribute addon that works with Phoenix that will allow me to have an option hierarchy. I believe QTPro will do this but I couldn't get it to work once installed (I probably missed something so will try again), however I'd prefer something that didn't have so many core code changes.

Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To give a little more detail and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a product 'Cyber Punk Display Stand'

It will have the following attributes -

Quote
Stand Size? Cutout? Bases? Base Size?
Regular Yes Yes 25mm
Large No No 32mm
      40mm
      60mm

However only certain options are available depending on the previous.

For example - 

Base Size will only show if Cutout = Yes and Bases =Yes

Bases Sizes 32mm, 40mm & 60mm will only show if the above is true and Stand Size = Large

If Stand Size = Regular, Cutout =Yes and Bases = Yes the only Base Size shown should be 25mm

If Stand Size = Large and Cutout = No both Bases and Base Size should be hidden

Does anything like this exist? Has anyone had it custom coded? Does anyone plan to have it coded? Does anyone else need it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a computer creator addon that has not been updated for many years. I used it on a custom computer store that I used to run. It did exactly what you are looking for, and it would only allow options if the products were already in stock. At the time all those years ago people used it for many other things, including a custom shed website. Probably need too much work now to get it working on Phoenix.

Its here https://apps.oscommerce.com/5NEUS&custom-computer-creator

or there was another one that I never really got to work https://apps.oscommerce.com/FwS4E&pc-pro-creator


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

There used to be a computer creator addon that has not been updated for many years. I used it on a custom computer store that I used to run. It did exactly what you are looking for, and it would only allow options if the products were already in stock. At the time all those years ago people used it for many other things, including a custom shed website. Probably need too much work now to get it working on Phoenix.

Its here https://apps.oscommerce.com/5NEUS&custom-computer-creator

or there was another one that I never really got to work https://apps.oscommerce.com/FwS4E&pc-pro-creator

I've used it previously and it may work but I have multiple styles of stand and as you've said it would probably be a lot of work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried installing osC 3 to see if the variations system supported what you need? 

I ask because porting the variations system to Phoenix seems like something that is both feasible and generally desirable.  Not trivial, but possible. 


Always back up before making changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LeeFoster said:

I am looking for an attribute addon that works with Phoenix that will allow me to have an option hierarchy. I believe QTPro will do this but I couldn't get it to work once installed (I probably missed something so will try again), however I'd prefer something that didn't have so many core code changes.

This is supported by QtPro. Just leave the not availabe combinations in zero stock or do not define stock for them at all and they will not show. There is a secuential drop down menu available which would fit for your needs.

2 hours ago, LeeFoster said:

 I believe QTPro will do this but I couldn't get it to work once installed (I probably missed something so will try again), however I'd prefer something that didn't have so many core code changes.

There are modified core files supplied in the package. So you should be able to do a test installation on an unmodified Phoenix 1.0.5.0 or lower test store in less than 10 min.

Doing this with less core changes, at least for Phoenix 1.0.5.0 and lower versions, wouldn't be possible.

There will be less core changes for the next Phoenix versions, please be patient.

Edited by raiwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ecartz said:

Have you tried installing osC 3 to see if the variations system supported what you need? 

I ask because porting the variations system to Phoenix seems like something that is both feasible and generally desirable.  Not trivial, but possible. 

Never seen this but will look into it further. 

 

16 minutes ago, raiwa said:

There are modified core files supplied in the package. So you should be able to do a test installation on an unmodified Phoenix 1.0.5.0 or lower test store in less than 10 min.

I'll run a fresh test store and see if it does what I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ecartz said:

Have you tried installing osC 3 to see if the variations system supported what you need? 

I ask because porting the variations system to Phoenix seems like something that is both feasible and generally desirable.  Not trivial, but possible. 

Got it installed but no front end shop and can't login to admin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hungryfrank said:

Burt used to have Ann add-on that created sku for product and I think it was based on attributes. that surely must have what u are looking for.

@burt do/did you have an addon that does this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such an addition will be very useful for my store.


Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Fredi said:

Such an addition will be very useful for my store.

Well get it coded then. Then you could release it back to the community for others to use.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Steve!
If I were a coder, then I would have done it without your conversion.
I am not a coder. You know it. And every time you offer me to code. You're doing fine! But about coding, better give your advice to coders.

Or please you encode.  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Edited by Fredi

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fredi said:

Hi Steve!
If I were a coder, then I would have done it without your conversion.
I am not a coder. You know it. And every time you offer me to code. You're doing fine! But about coding, better give your advice to coders.

Or please you encode.  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well pay a coder to do it then the same as we all have to instead of waiting for someone else to do it. Its easy for you and others to sit there and make these sort of comments that something would be good for your site, but there are only a few of us actually investing in the code and supporting the forward movement of oscommerce as you are fully aware.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raiwa said:

I do not understand all this discussion. As posted above, QTPro does it.

I couldn't get it to work but will try again tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

Well pay a coder to do it then the same as we all have to instead of waiting for someone else to do it. Its easy for you and others to sit there and make these sort of comments that something would be good for your site, but there are only a few of us actually investing in the code and supporting the forward movement of oscommerce as you are fully aware.

I'll tell you the secret information.
I support the OsCommerce since 2002. Is free.
I gave money to support the Phoenix, but they were returned to me. They did not accept my support.
So everything is OK!  :tongue:

---------

Thank You @raiwa I will try your module again. Probably easier with the Attribute Manager, but the CCC module is really more suitable for me. Nobody deals with this module, so I will look for other options.


Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fredi said:

Nobody deals with this module, so I will look for other options.

Again moving on and hoping someone else has done something rather than you doing it.

I give up some people just are not prepared to improve things and want it doing for them.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fredi said:

Nobody deals with this module, so I will look for other options.

Fredi,

One of the reasons these old add-on's have not been updated could be that very few people use them? I stopped using even simple attributes many years ago. We insted opted to simply have each veriant as a true product. This has the advantage of giving your site more content which google will like. Yes it takes a bit more time but not much and it's best to make an effort to make the content individual rather than just cut and paste.

I know this is not an option for everyone... on the plus side saw a big drop in wrong orders! one of the issues we always had with attributes is people either used the default or did not even look at the option and assumed what they needed was not available. The number of times we had a email or call "but I need a 1.6m version?" yes just use the drop down to see all the options! 😊... 

 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, my products are very strongly associated with attributes. For example: Sprinkler. One sprinkler model has the following parameters: water consumption of 20, 35, 50, 70, 90, 110 liters per hour. This is easily solved using attributes.

I wanted to apply this module - CCC for the greenhouse. This is not even a finished product, but a kind of pre-order. A greenhouse requires a large list of different equipment. The customer could tell me what configuration of the greenhouse he wants to build for himself. This is very similar to how the customer independently builds a computer - an addon - CCC.
No problems. We simply won’t apply it on our site.

Gentlemen, everything is OK. This mudul is uncritical for me. We can easily do without it.


Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

We insted opted to simply have each veriant as a true product. This has the advantage of giving your site more content which google will like. Yes it takes a bit more time but not much and it's best to make an effort to make the content individual rather than just cut and paste.

If we want Phoenix to compete with the big boys then we need to make it work better than them and cutting corners like this is not going to work. No big company running a webshop is going to manage products this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My impression is that Phoenix does not solve any new problems. There is no new functionality. All work on the Phoenix consists in digging in fine details and rewriting the code so that it differs from the OsCommerce code.
Phoenix coders write and they see it as it is convenient for them. The opinion of real and potential users is not interesting.
It's good. This is the choice of encoders. But the software for the store will be chosen by the owner of the online store.

The law of the market - the buyer is always right. A product can be successful if the customer likes it. There are hundreds of offers, both commercial and free, in the online trading software market today. The buyer has a large selection. Almost only those people who need to update the OsCommerce are interested in the Phoenix.
Ignore my stupid words please. There are coders that write code for the kernel and Phoenix add-ons. They make decisions. They know the potential of the market. They spend their time for this work. In the decisions they make, the future of the Phoenix is encoded.

I wish everyone great success!


Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeeFoster said:

cutting corners like this is not going to work. No big company running a webshop is going to manage products this way.

Has nothing to do with cutting corners it was a commercial desision based on user experiance and feed back. Result was simpler for us to handle products and much simpler for customers to find and order what they were looking for.

If complex attributes is what you need then that's fine everyone has own needs and ways to achive these.

Edited by JcMagpie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All is correct. A standard online shop for selling apples, tomatoes and lemons is easy. This is standard. But modern online trading is difficult. Both simple goods and complex goods and services are sold through the Internet.

If Phoenix wants to be competitive among other offers, it must very flexibly adapt to the needs of potential customers, software buyers.


Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fredi said:

All is correct. A standard online shop for selling apples, tomatoes and lemons is easy. This is standard. But modern online trading is difficult. Both simple goods and complex goods and services are sold through the Internet.

If Phoenix wants to be competitive among other offers, it must very flexibly adapt to the needs of potential customers, software buyers.

Those things will come as more people support and move Phoenix forward. The addon's that don't exist or do but need updating need someone to help push that forward. @burt was looking for someone to rebuild attributes/options in full but a lack of funds and issues with the developer put a stop to that. If you can find a coder to work with the core team and some funds to pay them to do it I'm sure @burt will be happy to have them on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×