• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Emails not sending

zefeena

My emails do not go out to customers.  None! they do not get confirmation, reset password, nothing it seems.

I presume this is my settings.  But I have tried different configurations randomly and still no joy.  I have emails: orders@domain and info@domain. both have forwarders set up to go to my aol email.  I get nothing!  I just tried to send an email from my aol account to orders@domain and info@domain and both went through and were forwarded to my aol account, so I presume I still have something wrong somewhere on my website and that its not a host problem.  Can someone, tell me how I determine what settings I need to match my host, and where to change them, and what to?  I've tolerated this issue for about 2 years and I get endless emails (to my aol address), from customers, asking for the password reset, order update etc, which is all wasted energy I can manage without if my emails work as they should.  Thank you 

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Can you log on to your domain webmail?

When logged into your webmail can you send an email to your aol account?

Which version of osC are you using?

Are you using sendmail or smtp?

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

I can't see where I log onto my email to be honest.  and apparently using V2.3.4 bootstrap.  I was using smtp, but currently its set to sendmail, though it made no difference.

868580593_Screenshot2020-02-22at16_36_35.png.0670c509852fb5c91ed99826c0f1e424.png

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 16.37.15.png

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

basic setup

image.png.e8c198a018f738e698ae3ce062e8517e.png

for loging in to your email that's down to what your using as each cPanel will diferent depending on version and what email software is available squirel, hord, roundcube??

talk to your host or just click email accounts and see what is available.

Also check you have the corect email address setup in my store

I have managed to check the email.  I can send one from 'orders@domain'.  I think the problem may be in the my store.

So do I need orders@ domain email for  first and second email, and can the Send extra order emails be my aol email?  thanks

995848127_Screenshot2020-02-22at16_53_29.png.97c672d4dbfd72dc065e1e0fb1c5c8cf.png

mine is a little different:

1490823254_Screenshot2020-02-22at16_56_23.png.7811f979919108c042f13ac47ef62f15.png

12 minutes ago, zefeena said:

mine is a little different:

Sorry unable to help as that looks like a custom setup not stock. In stock my setting should work out of the box. All you need to do is make sure the emai you set in my store is active  in your server email system. You can forward as many as you like it's just a case of setting up in your mail.

@zefeena

Several things ...

1) You didn't say if: a) your shop used to send out emails, but now it's stopped, or b) it never has been able to send out emails.

2) Read this thread ...

This explains how to create a file that tests your server to see if IT is properly set up properly to send out emails. You create and edit one file, upload it to your server, and access the file through your browser. It tries to send out two emails. If you receive them (one or both), then it's not a problem with the server. If you DON'T receive them, than the problem IS with the server.

3) People have reported that their hosts won't send emails if the From or Reply To email addresses are not from the domain the shop is in. IE, if your shop is My_Domain.com, but your email addresses say you are mailing from AOL.com, Yahoo.com, GMail.com, etc.. Apparently there are ways around this, but the best fix is to use your own domain as the sending email address.

HTH

Malcolm

Newer version of Harald's test script, updated for PHP 7: 

<?php
  if ('send' === ($_POST['action'] ?? null)) {
    define('SEND_EMAILS', 'true');
  }

require 'includes/application_top.php';

mail($_POST['to_address'], '[PHP] ' . $_POST['subject'], 'This email has been sent from the native php mail() function.' . "\n\n" . $_POST['body']);

tep_mail($_POST['to'], $_POST['to_address'], '[osCommerce] ' . $_POST['subject'], 'This email has been sent from the email class osCommerce uses.' . "\n\n" . $_POST['body'], $_POST['from'], $_POST['from_address']);

echo 'E-Mails Sent!<br /><br />';
  }
?>
<html>
  <body>
<form name="emailtest" action="email_test.php" method="post">
E-Mail From: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('from'); ?><br />
E-Mail From Address: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('from_address'); ?><br /><br />
E-Mail To: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('to'); ?><br />
E-Mail To Address: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('to_address'); ?><br /><br />
Subject: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('subject'); ?><br /><br />
Body:<br />
<?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('body', 'virtual', 50, 7); ?>
<br /><br />
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="send"><input type="submit"><br /><br /><input type="reset">
</form>
  </body>
</html>

Always back up before making changes.

21 hours ago, ArtcoInc said:

@zefeena

Several things ...

1) You didn't say if: a) your shop used to send out emails, but now it's stopped, or b) it never has been able to send out emails.

2) Read this thread ...

This explains how to create a file that tests your server to see if IT is properly set up properly to send out emails. You create and edit one file, upload it to your server, and access the file through your browser. It tries to send out two emails. If you receive them (one or both), then it's not a problem with the server. If you DON'T receive them, than the problem IS with the server.

3) People have reported that their hosts won't send emails if the From or Reply To email addresses are not from the domain the shop is in. IE, if your shop is My_Domain.com, but your email addresses say you are mailing from AOL.com, Yahoo.com, GMail.com, etc.. Apparently there are ways around this, but the best fix is to use your own domain as the sending email address.

HTH

Malcolm

I honestly don't think its ever worked since I changed hosts.  They were restricting my emails, but I told them I need at least 100 per hour (or I'm going!), and they assured me they had updated it, but I have placed a couple of orders to myself and not had any emails.

20 hours ago, ecartz said:

Newer version of Harald's test script, updated for PHP 7: 

<?php
    define('SEND_EMAILS', 'true');
  }

require 'includes/application_top.php';

mail($_POST['to_address'], '[PHP] ' . $_POST['subject'], 'This email has been sent from the native php mail() function.' . "\n\n" . $_POST['body']);

tep_mail($_POST['to'], $_POST['to_address'], '[osCommerce] ' . $_POST['subject'], 'This email has been sent from the email class osCommerce uses.' . "\n\n" . $_POST['body'], $_POST['from'], $_POST['from_address']);

echo 'E-Mails Sent!<br /><br />';
  }
?>
<html>
  <body>
<form name="emailtest" action="email_test.php" method="post">
E-Mail From: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('from'); ?><br />
E-Mail From Address: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('from_address'); ?><br /><br />
E-Mail To: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('to'); ?><br />
E-Mail To Address: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('to_address'); ?><br /><br />
Subject: <?php echo tep_draw_input_field('subject'); ?><br /><br />
Body:<br />
<?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('body', 'virtual', 50, 7); ?>
<br /><br />
<input type="hidden" name="action" value="send"><input type="submit"><br /><br /><input type="reset">
</form>
  </body>
</html>

Where do I put this script?  is it a file I create, in which case, what do I call it and where do I put it?  thank you

2 minutes ago, zefeena said:

Where do I put this script?  is it a file I create, in which case, what do I call it and where do I put it?  thank you

Call it email_test.php and put it in either the root of your store (where files like create_account.php or product_info.php and directories like includes/ and ext/ are) or in your admin directory.  If you put it in the root of your store, delete it after using.  Because it allows sending emails to arbitrary addresses. 

Always back up before making changes.

The to address or the from address must be your domain name on a number of hosts, else they silently put emails into /dev/null

In english:

If your domain name is (say) mygreatshop.com but you use hotmail for your osc admin area (eg) [email protected]

1. email from [email protected] TO [email protected] SHOULD work
    one end of the email chain is your domain name
  2. email from [email protected] TO [email protected] WILL NOT WORK
    neither end of the email chain is your domain name

To combat this, ensure to use your actual domain name in your emails.

You might consider using a transactional email service. Hosts are becoming much more restrictive by filtering/blocking emails to protect shared server reputation.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

I tried making the email_test file, but it threw up errors, so I presume I didn't edit it correctly.  I didn't really understand, what I was supposed to do with the file! 

Never mind, I think I'll give it up for the moment.  thanks everyone for trying.

1 hour ago, zefeena said:

I tried making the email_test file, but it threw up errors, so I presume I didn't edit it correctly.  I didn't really understand, what I was supposed to do with the file! 

Never mind, I think I'll give it up for the moment.  thanks everyone for trying.

I have turned it into a file for you.  emailtest.php

1. Upload this file to your store's root.
  2. In your browser enter www.yoursite.com/emailtest.php.
  3. Check your emails to see how many you receive. None is bad, 2 is good, 1 could do better.
  4. Delete emailtest.php from your server immediately you have finished testing as it is a security risk, you can always upload it again later for a second try.

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

5 hours ago, zefeena said:

The problem is not osC it's your email setup on your server. Posiable problem

1) Your host has simply blocked your email! why no idea ask them.

2) Your email is broken deleat it and make a new one

3) You do not have a info@ on your mail server! do you remember making it?

image.png.0465bef5c10f3d322558618cf9a12261.png

Archived