• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal Standard Payments Failing

cdetdi

I have been using Paypal both Payments Standard and Express checkout for years.  As of Sunday at midnight, all my orders using Payments Standard get stuck in the initial order status.  No payment information is posted to the order nor is the order moved to the status I have configured to move it once the IPN has been received.

In the log all the PS logs show a red icon rather than green.  They do not show "VALIDATED" on the bottom.  The "_notify-synch" log is also different - only 5 lines rather than the customary information with more verbose order information.

Went through files and nothing on my end changed.  I also did not find in Paypal's docs any information about a change to the API as of Sunday night.  

ANY Help would be appreciated, as it is causing a headache for order processing.  

* UPDATE * I've avoided the order processing headache by disabling Payments Standard and moving all customers to Express Checkout.

Edited by cdetdi

Two forks diverged in a git, and I— I took the fork traveled by burt, And that has made all the difference.

Does the balance display in admin work ok?

Do the logs of the IPN requests show the full request details? if so, what is the recorded response?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Balance works fine.  

The notify-validate logs show all the normal information, except that the response area is blank.  Notify sync is much less data than normal, and again no response shown.

Two forks diverged in a git, and I— I took the fork traveled by burt, And that has made all the difference.

You won't be able to do this on one that is still sitting at preparing, but on one from before that worked, try going to the edit order page and hit the Details button on the paypal tab. Does it record another order history record and get a successful log, or does it fail too?

Edited by BrockleyJohn

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

1 hour ago, cdetdi said:

Balance works fine.  

The notify-validate logs show all the normal information, except that the response area is blank.  Notify sync is much less data than normal, and again no response shown.

This is the very same as mine  no responses either

Gut feel is this is going to be something to do with security protocols. There are still some insecure cyphers on TLS1.2 and it might be that Paypal are now blocking them and some sites may need to make sure they have the secure ones available.

This is a topic at the moment as chrome is going to start penalising the insecure cyphers being supported on inbound connections. I haven't seen any PP announcements to this effect but it's going to have less impact than the TLS1.2 change

Same experiences as others. I've been looking at TLS1.2 as a potential issue also but https://www.ssllabs.com and https://gf.dev come back fine for TLS1.2. 

But I get an error with Test Connection (PayPal > Configure > Details General > SSL Version > Test Connection)

"Default Setting: Failed
TLS v1.2: Failed"

I can receive status from previous orders within admin (Orders > PayPal > Details)

Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Payer Status: unverified
Address Status: Confirmed
Payment Status: Pending
Payment Type: instant
Pending Reason: authorization 

6 minutes ago, Cary said:

Same experiences as others. I've been looking at TLS1.2 as a potential issue also but https://www.ssllabs.com and https://gf.dev come back fine for TLS1.2. 

But I get an error with Test Connection (PayPal > Configure > Details General > SSL Version > Test Connection)

"Default Setting: Failed
TLS v1.2: Failed"

I can receive status from previous orders within admin (Orders > PayPal > Details)

Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Payer Status: unverified
Address Status: Confirmed
Payment Status: Pending
Payment Type: instant
Pending Reason: authorization 

You get that failure because paypal's ssltest subdomain no longer exists - everyone gets it whether their integration works or not.

It could however be related to cypher suites.

The getting details on an order that worked before - that will help narrow down the issue. I reckon a failure there is strongly indicative of a communication problem, so perhaps it's something else

Edited by BrockleyJohn
sent before ready!

Here is how you can submit the the support request 

Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. My name is Gareth and I am happy to assist you.

If you require further assistance in relation to your IPN issue, please follow the steps below.

1. Go to www.paypal-support.com

2. Click 'Contact Us' button

3. Log in to your account using button at the top of the page.

4. Submit all information (please be as detailed as possible)

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

Yours sincerely,
Gareth
PayPal

From Earlier:

Your case was created. We do strive to provide a response as soon as possible and remember you can also always log back into the this same portal and view/update your ticket. If you do not hear anything from us, chances are your spam settings or ISP may potentially be blocking our email. We suggest you check your spam settings.

Our response will come from the email address [email protected]

Our email address can be added to list of approved contacts to reduce it from being blocked

https://www.paypal-support.com

I've been doing some polling and have found a UK customer with a failure like this yesterday and a US customer with a successful one yesterday. Paypal seem to have gone to bed.

@mhsuffolk please post your paypal certificate ext/modules/payment/paypal/paypal.com.crt

The UK site I found is getting the error:

SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate

Thanks Martin, that fixed it for my customer's site.

@saxcbr @Cary @cdetdi @Mac Fly please try copying the above file into your shops.

You can then try resending an IPN from your Paypal account (finding it is tortuous):

scroll down to website payments on left menu

choose Update next to Instant Payment Notifications

in the middle of the first line of text, hit the link IPN History page

This shows you a list of IPNs, defaulting to the last 24 hours - change the period if necessary and select one to resend

[fingers crossed]