• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

attribute prices

philpla

I have a general Question:
Lets say we have 2 attributes (A1 & A2) with 3 different values (AxO1 ... AxO3) for each attribute(Ax) for one product. In this case the product will have 6 different prices (A1O1_A2O1 ... A1O3_A2O3).
Shouldn't it be 9 different prices(not 2*3 but 3**2)?

Maybe a practical example: Lets say we sell screws in different size(M4 to M10) and material (steel and aluminum). Now the pricedifference between M4 and M6 is not equal for the 2 different materials.

I hope that I could express my problem clearly.

Is there any addon which implements such a price/attribut/model?

I would like to code this, but dont like to reinvent the wheel ;)

You would probably be better off having three different products instead of one of the attributes.  In your specific example, sell steel and aluminum screws as separate products.  And frankly, you're probably better off selling the different sizes separately. 

Attributes are useful for things like gift wrap, where it is something added to the product.  They don't work well when they change the product fundamentally.  As a quick rule of thumb, if you would keep separate stock, you shouldn't use the current attributes system. 

You might consider looking at the osC 3 variations system.  It might be easier to get what you want by porting that to Phoenix than to start fresh. 

Always back up before making changes.

29 minutes ago, ecartz said:

You might consider looking at the osC 3 variations system.  It might be easier to get what you want by porting that to Phoenix than to start fresh. 

This is something that is still on the to-do list.  It was arranged with a developer for this backport (along with modern updates) to be done and put into Phoenix Core but "things didn't work out" so although it was at an advanced stage, it had to be put on the backburner.  I'm still hopeful we can somehow revive [Henry was going to do it and not sure if he is still available/interested] it but it's a long way off I think due, as always, to budget.

You can solve the problem with cross sell. rewrite the module a little and assign appropriate attributes to the respective product. you will then have two products, but the customer can simply switch between them.

A priori, there is no difficulty in defining a different final price in the 6 cases...

Material :
- steel
- aluminium (+3.00)
Size :
- M04
- M06 (0.15)
- M08 (0.30)

At the end, you get the price you want for each combination (10 + 3 + 0.3 = 13.30).

NB: If there is a very big problem with price escalation, it is better to create 2 separate product sheets.

osc_attributes_standard.jpg

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

first thanks for all the awnsers.

different products would be a work around ofcourse, but not a solution. this wont work for me.

Am 31.1.2020 um 13:26 schrieb burt:

This is something that is still on the to-do list.  It was arranged with a developer for this backport (along with modern updates) to be done and put into Phoenix Core but "things didn't work out" so although it was at an advanced stage, it had to be put on the backburner.  I'm still hopeful we can somehow revive [Henry was going to do it and not sure if he is still available/interested] it but it's a long way off I think due, as always, to budget.

at which stage is it right now?

@milerwan i am sorry but you are not right. their are 9 different combinations. but only 6 different prices are possible right now. In the example the price difference for a change of steel to aluminum between M4 and M6 is the same as M6 to M8.

Right now i am thinking of a change of the existing modules (qt and attribut manager). These addons allready handle the stock quantity on the correct possible combinations.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:27 AM, philpla said:

Maybe a practical example: Lets say we sell screws in different size(M4 to M10) and material (steel and aluminum). Now the pricedifference between M4 and M6 is not equal for the 2 different materials.

The simplest solution is to not make your products so complicated to begin with....

M4 Screws Phillips Countersunk 10mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 965H

Would prevent all problems no? Complicated attributes do not help the customer or sales......

39 minutes ago, philpla said:

first thanks for all the awnsers.

different products would be a work around ofcourse, but not a solution. this wont work for me.

at which stage is it right now?

@milerwan i am sorry but you are not right. their are 9 different combinations. but only 6 different prices are possible right now. In the example the price difference for a change of steel to aluminum between M4 and M6 is the same as M6 to M8.

Right now i am thinking of a change of the existing modules (qt and attribut manager). These addons allready handle the stock quantity on the correct possible combinations.

Try The QTpro Phoenix and AJAX Attribute Manager Phoenix

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Omar_one:

Try The QTpro Phoenix and AJAX Attribute Manager Phoenix 

this is also my idea at the moment, but qt is not hooked, so this will endup in a major code change

that's why i asked here - maybe some has an easier idea

vor 10 Minuten schrieb JcMagpie:

The simplest solution is to not make your products so complicated to begin with....

M4 Screws Phillips Countersunk 10mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 965H

Would prevent all problems no? Complicated attributes do not help the customer or sales......

@JcMagpieagain: different products would be a work around ofcourse, but not a solution. this wont work for me.

vor 57 Minuten schrieb burt:

On a backburner. 

I see :(

Do you think a port of the qt+attribut addons to a fully hooked new addon (including the necessary changes for the "new" price model) is the most effectiv way. Or would you propose another one?

Can you give a rough estimation how much hours of coding would be needed?

5 hours ago, philpla said:

this is also my idea at the moment, but qt is not hooked, so this will endup in a major code change

QtPro is 100% modularized/hooked on the public store side. Admin side has 3 modified core files:

- admin/categories.php will be hooked in the next update, probably together with the mods in core functions (functions/general.php)
- in products_attributes.php it is impossible to avoid core changes until the announced/planned overhoal of the attributes system.

@philpla, if you go to include the attributes price support into qtpro, I'll be pleased to add it to the QtPro package. As there are already attributes stock combinations controlled, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Archived