SCM Minis

Another NOOB Q: Editing front page?

in my old install I editeed admin/includes/laguages/english/index to change my front page message.

In the Phoenix install there is no "text main" to edit. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Perhaps we should go at this from the other end.  What does the text that you want to change say now? 

Always back up before making changes.

If you look at scalecreep.com/index.php

Between the app top "Welcome" and the New Products. There is no text at all. In my old shop I could edit the index file and have text there?

In admin > Modules > Content > Index, click Install and look for the Main Text module.  If you install that, does that make the file that I posted previously do what you want?  When I add text to it, it displays below the customer greeting and above the New Products box. 

What confuses me is that on my test site, it's already installed, but I don't remember installing it.  Which suggests to me that it is installed by default.  But perhaps I just don't remember installing it. 

The place to put text to display is in

const MODULE_CONTENT_TEXT_MAIN_TEXT        = 'Place text here.';

I added "Place text here." to the empty string. 

Always back up before making changes.

Looking in modules there is one called Main Text and it is installed. If I click the Edit button that just edits the install - gives me a warning about column width etc.

That being the case I expected I could edit the main text from the admin panel instead of having to go in to the actual server files? Like there would be a link under Configuration with a choice for Edit Main Text or the like? Same applies to all the other content modules. They are installed but "Edit" just gives me the same warning about columns and rows, but no place to actually add text like "Check out our clearance" or "Closed for the holidays"

5 minutes ago, SCM Minis said:

Looking in modules there is one called Main Text and it is installed. If I click the Edit button that just edits the install - gives me a warning about column width etc.

That being the case I expected I could edit the main text from the admin panel instead of having to go in to the actual server files? Like there would be a link under Configuration with a choice for Edit Main Text or the like? Same applies to all the other content modules. They are installed but "Edit" just gives me the same warning about columns and rows, but no place to actually add text like "Check out our clearance" or "Closed for the holidays"

How are you editing your files?

I also took another look at the file you linked first. On my install it does not have the line you listed "const MODULE_CONTENT_TEXT_MAIN_TEXT"  in it. 

I'll take a look around and see if I see that in another file.

LeeFoster: I log in to my server, find the file I need to edit, and just use the online edit option. I have always done it this way. I know I can have a local copy, edit and upload, but this has always worked for me.

Plus, after installing all I ever edited was that one main text message on the front page, and the catalog, using Easy Populate.

Just now, SCM Minis said:

LeeFoster: I log in to my server, find the file I need to edit, and just use the online edit option. I have always done it this way. I know I can have a local copy, edit and upload, but this has always worked for me.

Plus, after installing all I ever edited was that one main text message on the front page, and the catalog, using Easy Populate.

You need to navigate to the languages folder then, so from the root directory - includes - languages - english - modules - content - index - .cm_i_text_main.php