• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can someone explain the various editions?

SCM Minis

I have a 10+ year old shop that has crashed and appears beyond repair. I've decided it is best to re-install from scratch and get to the latest version of osCommerce. But now I see many "editions" and am confused by what they all are. Frozen. Edge, Phoenix, Bootstrap etc. etc. I've looked for a summary page that explains the various versions. The 2.3.4.1 from the osCommerce front page looks like what I am familiar with.

My site is basic, beyond an Easy Populate add on the base package does what I need. Can anyone suggest which version I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

38 minutes ago, SCM Minis said:

The 2.3.4.1 from the osCommerce front page looks like what I am familiar with.

But it is not compatible with PHP 7 and in general hasn't been updated for several years.  Gold, Frozen, and Edge are just older versions of what is now called Phoenix (or Community Edition on the Downloads page).  But most of them are still newer than 2.3.4.1

So if your goal is to install the latest release, either 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.4.2 of the Community Edition would be the simplest. The latest release of Community Edition will always be at https://github.com/gburton/CE-Phoenix/archive/master.zip (currently 1.0.4.2 but will keep changing with new releases). 

Always back up before making changes.

You should be able to just upload the files to the web root and go to your domain in the browser.  It should then forward you to the install pages, which will ask questions.  The questions should be intuitive enough to just answer.  But of course if you have specific questions, someone will try to help you. 

Always back up before making changes.

Well, I did something wrong. The back end is there (looks lovely by the way), but the front ends (a) redirects to my old address and (b) then goes 404. And if I go to scalecreep.com/index.php it takes me to the install screen?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Archived