• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Joe...the goal going forward is to remove things from the core that are unnecessary or not used by the majority of users, so the core becomes a lean, mean flying machine, that is manageable enough to be maintained and further developed by the limited resources that are available.  For example I don't use either of the add-ons you described and don't need or want them to be added to the core and using up resources that could otherwise be working or directed to more important issues.  There are other add-ons that I do use and you wouldn't, so you might feel the same way about those being added to the core.

That doesn't mean that the add-ons shouldn't be offered, they should and are.  We want them made available for you and for everyone who needs them.  They just need to be developed in such a way so they can simply be uploaded, installed and configured by all who want them.  There is a lot of work going on by both the coders who are updating their add-ons and by the core team who are making changes to the core so it is easier to add those modules.   That is the general direction and one that will benefit everyone as we get further along in the development of this.

Dan

43 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

remove things from the core that are unnecessary or used by the majority of users

I would have thought that things used by "the majority of users" would be seen as core! if not what else is core? What does core even mean?

As Phoinex is not capable of being auto updated the use of the term core is meaningless to most users.

1 minute ago, JcMagpie said:

if not what else is core?

Probably means different things to different people....I see it simple as, what you absolutely need to sell something....ie needed by everyone but again everyone probably has different take on that.   My point was to just give Joe an overview of the general direction.  What is included, as core, will of course be decided by the core team.

Dan

You have to see the Phoenix core code as a skeleton that you dress with the muscles (add-ons) you need.
If you are a footballer, you will add leg muscles.
If you are a table tennis player, you will add the arm muscles.
If you are a basketball player, you will add both.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

@joe122joe what version are you currently on?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

@joe122joe  If everyone want to have the add-ons what they fit they shop to core it will be mess ... they called add-on they additions code to fit your need and those add-ons what you use maybe they don't fit someone else...
try to install Phoenix as test and play with it.. I am sure you will love it  

and ofcourse you can the add-on support topic.  or Commercial Support Inquiries    .

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

Thank you all

I was asked about this addons ,, because, on my opinion they are basic addon that should be on the core.

2 hours ago, bonbec said:

You have to see the Phoenix core code as a skeleton that you dress with the muscles (add-ons) you need.
If you are a footballer, you will add leg muscles.
If you are a table tennis player, you will add the arm muscles.
If you are a basketball player, you will add both.

that's right 

1 hour ago, BrockleyJohn said:

@joe122joe what version are you currently on?

something between FROZEN and Phoenix  (FROZEN  with hooks)

20 minutes ago, Omar_one said:

I think there is many oscommerce shop they are small business, that they can't pay the prices what it asked there… 

2 hours ago, bonbec said:

If only this was true!

Unfortunatly the world of e commerce has moved on and most popular software offer the user a feture rich user experiance out of the box and not after hunting high and low for add-ons.

Most new users will install and be very disappointed with what they see. They get no list of available add-on and will have to go looking for them and may or may not find them. I think most users will not even bother to look and just move onto another e cart that offers more out of the box.

Have said this many times, keeping the core lean has nothing to do with removing fetures or not offering them at all. An add-on is of no use if no one knows it exists.

A few users may go looking and find a few muscles be they legs or arms 😊 but many will just see a poorly dressed bag of bones and just look elsewhere.

I could be wrong ( I hope I am) but only time will tell who is right.

5 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

An add-on is of no use if no one knows it exists.

Good point and it would be helpful to have a good list of add-ons that you can easily drop in, install and configure.  

Anyone up to that task?

Dan 

23 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

Good point and it would be helpful to have a good list of add-ons that you can easily drop in, install and configure. 

Dan 

https://apps.oscommerce.com/Profile&220375-brockleyjohn

😉

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

2 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

helpful to have a good list of add-ons that you can easily drop in, install and configure.  

Hello dan,

That is a very good idea. We could implement it as follows:

Create a compatible addon topic for Frozen and another for Phoenix.
Each user who downloads a free addon from the market can post something like this:

I Download the "Extra Infobox reloaded for Phoenix CE" addon
URL: https://apps.oscommerce.com/wd4AW&extra-infobox-reloaded-for-phoenix-ce
I tested it with: Phoenix 1.0.4.0

In this post you can only publish addons that were tested and that worked.
You can not make other questionsor publications in that post (each addon has its own support post).
We get an updated and confirmed list of addons that work.
You cannot publish addon paid as that is against the forum rules.

That topic will be fixed first in the Add-Ons section of the forum.

What do the community think about this proposal  ?

Best Regards.

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

4 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Have said this many times, keeping the core lean has nothing to do with removing features or not offering them at all. An add-on is of no use if no one knows it exists.

I'm with you and add not remove/cutting without alternatives or consensus neither looking back so you difficult upgrade.

We love oscommerce because have all for do your ideal shop from open source,
I believe that many of us will be proletarian people to pay as many support addons.
You see stores that have them adapted and are not in the marketplace so it seems that a part of the community does not contribute

4 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Anyone up to that task?

For one only is crazy, I try 3/4 time and never win, maybe between several and access to data from admin area and files and not only from front at least we could sort the mix creating more stable structure information, but without a minimum improvement it is not worth it since we would soon be returning to the mixing.
Requirements need define and set for all once it is structured and sort.

1 hour ago, valquiria23 said:

Create a compatible addon topic for Frozen and another for Phoenix.
Each user who downloads a free addon from the market can post something like this:

valquiria, it seems that communities fix the world by writing in forums, but is an option use un template and paste text,
another is marketplace with new features, how uservoice for new ideas, tags, labels, certify apps, packs, relations, certifications, punctuation, voting, reviews, test and test, metris,  relation services offer (install,mod,adapt,update...), advanced search, more field, characteristic and requirements, specific/general demo, try to install, screenshot requirement,more specific categories, statics page, requests, rules, faq...¿basket? ¿credits for download? more licences? donate button to developer, different class of user, verify users, achievements, ranking users... and much more for dynamize it and elevate to next level.
Need be very dynamic for feedback.

Is much for only contributions? Ok select half or quarter you consider more important, the rest put at uservoice for the future.
Today is possible that it is not worth something similar it had to be done in the past,

5 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Anyone up to that task?

That's already in core and preinstalled on the dashboard. 

Always back up before making changes.

16 minutes ago, ecartz said:

That's already in core and preinstalled on the dashboard. 

I don't think that was what was contemplated here but I'll have closer look.  

Dan 

Matt...I had a quick peek.  It looks like that dashboard was added in 1.0.4.0 but unfortunately I'm not that up-to-date yet.   As I recall, I think we both saw a preview of it and, unless it changed substantially I don't think it would capture what was being suggested here.   I think the suggestion was to pull together a list of add-ons, not only certified ones, but also ones from shop owners and other contributors, including add-ons that have been around for years and been updated to work with Phoenix.   Things like the Order Editor that is invaluable to many, has been around for years and most recently updated by BrockleyJohn or perhaps the Multi-Zone-Multi-Table add- on I was messing around with the other day or the bunch of add-ons that Jack has been updating recently.   Having a list of those that work and are generally very useful would, I think, be a big help to newer users of Phoenix that just aren't familiar with what is available or even how to find them if they did.  As I'm sure you're aware, the add-ons area is a mess in it's current form. 

Dan 

1 hour ago, Dan Cole said:

not only certified ones

9 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

add-ons that you can easily drop in, install and configure.

What is a certified add-on or App but one that is know to be a drop-in, configurable install?  I mean that's what certification is, a process by which it is established that a particular App/add-on/contribution/whatever we're calling them this week meets the criteria. 

There are four ways to accomplish this:

1.  Add a certification process to the Apps marketplace.  That would require Harald. 

2.  Create a website that lists all the certified Apps.  That would require someone to buy the domain name, pay for hosting, and maintain it.  And then you'd need permission from Harald to post the link to it here.  As technically it's not a permissible link. 

3.  Post a forum thread where all the certified Apps are listed.  Which would require someone to maintain it.  But pinning it would require Harald. 

4.  Just go through Gary's certification process and add the App to his list. 

Three of those things require help from Harald.  One does not but requires help from Gary.  I know which I find more feasible. 

The most feasible aside from Gary's solution is posting a forum thread.  But it will constantly fall off the front page after a few months...unless Harald fixes it.  And of course after a few months it will fall out of date as well.  Does the App that worked with 1.0.4.0 still work with 1.0.8.0?  Who knows?  And who will want to go through every post figuring out which Apps work and which don't.  I mean after all, every App presumably worked at the time it was uploaded.  But now no one can figure out whether each currently works.  How long until the forum thread reaches the same state?  A few months?  A year?  Maybe two? 

The main site claims that osCommerce has thousands of Apps.  I think that this is actually App versions.  But even so, there are still hundreds of Apps if not more than a thousand.  How long until a forum thread has too many Apps to find the one that you actually want? 

For that matter, how long until it's impossible to find which version of the App you want.  It's not that long since I had to download all but one version of an App (something like nine of ten) to find one that included the whole App. 

The real problem is that the Apps Marketplace is fundamentally broken.  And it will continue to be until Harald fixes it.  Or people can switch to Gary's certification model.  It has its own challenges, but at least someone is actively maintaining it. 

4 minutes ago, ecartz said:

There are four ways to accomplish this:

1.  Add a certification process to the Apps marketplace.  That would require Harald. 

2.  Create a website that lists all the certified Apps.  That would require someone to buy the domain name, pay for hosting, and maintain it.  And then you'd need permission from Harald to post the link to it here.  As technically it's not a permissible link. 

3.  Post a forum thread where all the certified Apps are listed.  Which would require someone to maintain it.  But pinning it would require Harald. 

4.  Just go through Gary's certification process and add the App to his list. 

Three of those things require help from Harald.  One does not but requires help from Gary.  I know which I find more feasible.

I haven't seen any information on what is involved in the certification process but was under the impression that it was per developer.  I'm not sure how feasible or practical that would be, for the masses though.  I guess if we had a few certified developers, willing to adopt many of these add-ons it could work otherwise I think number 3 is probably closer to what was being suggested and would maybe serve as a stop gap measure and perhaps a task list.  Unless I'm mistaken (and it is entirely possible) I think Gary has the ability to pin posts.  Whether he'll want to or not I don't know.  

Dan

We cannot count on only with certified addons (certified by whom? ISO 1040 ???).
Having only 2 or 3 people making paid addons will not allow the community to grow. Moreover, that was never the aspiritu of oscommerce. Each person can make their addons, upload them to the market and share them with the community. That is the charm of oscommerce.

What I proposed above was already done previously. There is only a will to implement it again. 

Personally, this post helped me a lot when I was a new user. This post gave me an initial guide to what things could be done with the addons of osc. Surely something like that is going to make life easier for many new users.

I hope these posts do not disappear by magic :) 

have a nice day 

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

55 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

Unless I'm mistaken (and it is entirely possible) I think Gary has the ability to pin posts.

If Gary had the ability to pin posts outside the Phoenix Club, I think that he would pin the Phoenix release post

I'm not against someone posting a Phoenix drop-in Apps thread.  I'm just saying that I think it will be most effective when first posted and progressively less useful as time passes.  At worst it is a waste of your time.  At best it helps someone.  Your time is of course yours to spend as you wish. 

8 hours ago, ecartz said:

If Gary had the ability to pin posts outside the Phoenix Club, I think that he would pin the Phoenix release post

You're right...for some reason, over night, I recalled trying to get a "How to get help" post pinned and we weren't able to do that either so it would need to be a pinless thread.  Not ideal but not a show stopper either.

Dan

9 hours ago, valquiria23 said:

What I proposed above was already done previously. There is only a will to implement it again.  

That's a good example....now lets see if there is any interest.

Dan

Haaraald!! 😅 release the reins

22 hours ago, ecartz said:

And then you'd need permission from Harald to post the link to it here.  As technically it's not a permissible link. 

So it is not possible to create an new alternative market

21 hours ago, valquiria23 said:

We cannot count on only with certified addons (certified by whom? ISO 1040 ???).

Correctly, we talk for all addons not only for certificates.
The idea is that the use regulates the flow and grow,
and yet it requires the support of many that who are not now.

If Phoenix develops enough, the marketplace will not serve as it is now and that is not useful and advanced, instead of contributing is a brake.

Even when? Will Harald come back? And if it does, will something change?

Archived