Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Do you think this is a good plan?

Obviously I shall back up everything before I start.

I have a live Frozen and a Local test Phoenix 1.0.4.1 which is on XAMPP PHP 7.3. My host will change me up to 7.3 when I hit the button.

The Phoenix has all the add ons I need and is fully configured.

As I installed each addon in Phoenix I made any database changes to my live Frozen as well, that is adding tables, columns etc even though they may not be being used by the Frozen.

So, with the exception of the Frozen Configuration Group and Configuration Tables, all the Frozen tables are ready for Phoenix.

The Frozen is not in it's own folder so I have to replace all the files and folders en-mass.

For the database I plan to leave the Frozen DB in place and replace just the Configuration Group and Configuration Tables from my test Phoenix and adjust the two configure.php files accordingly.

Have I missed anything?

Martin

 


Live Phoenix 1.0.5.0 on PHP 7.3

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC community version (CE Phoenix 1.0.7.1) here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin that is pretty much what I am doing or did.  The only other thing you might want to consider is testing your build in a live environment before going live.  I don't develop using a WAMP or XAMPP but have seen instances where people have developed their sites off line in that way, only to experience problems after deploying it to their live environment.   I try to develop in a sub directory on the server where my site is going to resided. 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

I try to develop in a sub directory on the server where my site is going to resided.

Thanks for the advice. Do you make a copy of your live database and test with that?


Live Phoenix 1.0.5.0 on PHP 7.3

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC community version (CE Phoenix 1.0.7.1) here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mhsuffolk said:

Thanks for the advice. Do you make a copy of your live database and test with that? 

Yes I do and usually end up updating the test database a few times, as I make changes to my working database, just to make sure I don't introduce new problems along the way.

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, Dan Cole said:

The only other thing you might want to consider is testing your build in a live environment before going live

Wise advice Dan. I had dismissed that idea until I realised I had enough disc space on the server to accomodate it.

Did so and found a few issues, easily resolved.

All went smoothly until I used my hosts cpanel to up the anti by going to PHP 7.3

For others doing this, I had to enable nd_mysqli  and nd_pdo_mysql which my host has off by default. Lucky for me their cpanel allows me to enable them myself.

It all worked and I now have a live Phoenix 1.0.4.1 site.


Live Phoenix 1.0.5.0 on PHP 7.3

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC community version (CE Phoenix 1.0.7.1) here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently have my frozen site live and running and was wondering which version of phoenix I should be upgrading to? I can see the development is moving along quite quickly and I figure that it would take me a month or so to do the upgrade. If I jump to the latest version 1.0.5.5 would that be sensible or go for a lower version ie: 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.5.0 etc?

 

Any suggestions would be great!

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nedragdnuos said:

I currently have my frozen site live and running and was wondering which version of phoenix I should be upgrading to? I can see the development is moving along quite quickly and I figure that it would take me a month or so to do the upgrade. If I jump to the latest version 1.0.5.5 would that be sensible or go for a lower version ie: 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.5.0 etc?

 

Any suggestions would be great!

 

Cheers!

I decided to use 1.0.5.0 as thats just before loads of major changes took place. You are right though, development is moving fast and I could not keep up with it so just decided to get on and use the version where I was. I will update again in something like 12 months time and keep doing that now, rather than add every incremental update.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nedragdnuos said:

If I jump to the latest version 1.0.5.5 would that be sensible or go for a lower version ie: 1.0.4.0 or 1.0.5.0 etc?

Phoenix updates are designed to be small and easy to apply.  So it is reasonable to start with 1.0.5.5 and plan on updating as you go.  One of the goals of Phoenix is for people to stop halting at specific versions and instead add the security, bugfix, and feature updates as they release. 

I see no benefit to 1.0.4.5 or lower or 1.0.5.1 through 1.0.5.4.  The argument in favor of 1.0.5.0 would be that it has better App support.  But if you aren't expecting to go live until after 1.0.6.0 releases anyway, then there's little reason to stick with the older release. 

If you want to customize the fields in customer registration, then you should install 1.0.5.5.  If you want to override the template display, you should plan on updating to 1.0.6.1 when it releases. 


Always back up before making changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I echo that.

Many addons have not caught up to beyond 1.0.5.0 which is where my live shop is at. They will of course. I plan to wait for 1.0.6.0 and when most addons that I use are compatible before moving on.


Live Phoenix 1.0.5.0 on PHP 7.3

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC community version (CE Phoenix 1.0.7.1) here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mhsuffolk said:

Yes I echo that.

Many addons have not caught up to beyond 1.0.5.0 which is where my live shop is at. They will of course. I plan to wait for 1.0.6.0 and when most addons that I use are compatible before moving on.

I plan on doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeeFoster said:

I plan on doing the same.

Another one here with the same strategy - went live with 1.0.5.0, but will wait for 1.0.6.0 before attempting another upgrade.

Kind've getting antsy about it now, though. 

Edited by TomB01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the strategy is sound of stopping at a certain release. At some point us store owners have to get on and do other things like run the business even though times are getting a bit tough at the minute. Its easy for developers to keep changing things, but it takes time and money to get things changed and converted and not all of us have bottomless pits to pay for code work as addon developers are not keeping up as they have businesses to run to.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm constantly surprised and sometimes astonished at the words that come out of shopowners...

What you guys are implying is that it is too much work to apply a 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minute upgrade to your shop, because you have used addons that change core code or may break.  Would that be a fair assessment?

Edited by burt

Help shape the future of Phoenix; join the Phoenix Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, burt said:

I'm constantly surprised and sometimes astonished at the words that come out of shopowners...

What you guys are implying is that it is too much work to apply a 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minute upgrade to your shop, because you have used addons that change core code or may break.  Would that be a fair assessment?

From my point of view, 'No'. I just can't keep putting it off so waiting for 1.0.6.0 and then going live with it and continuing updating my test shop is the way I'm going to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, burt said:

What you guys are implying is that it is too much work to apply a 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minute upgrade to your shop, because you have used addons that change core code or may break.  Would that be a fair assessment?

For me that is both fair and realistic.  I have add-ons I can't live without and until they are updated the choice is update or keep those functions.   My current plan is to get a live site up and running 1.0.5.0 (I'm close) and then keep a development branch going that I can add updates to, both core and add-ons. Taking that to say 1.0.6.0 and when it's ready to release, I'll rinse and repeat.  Until the add-ons get to a point where they are not impacted by changes to the core I don't think it can be managed in any other way.  If there is, I'd certainly be interested in knowing. 

Dan

 

Edited by Dan Cole
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nedragdnuos said:

Any suggestions would be great!

If your current site is working and your happy with it, what's the rush to update?

Ask your self what key functionnality am I missing in Frozen that is available in Phoenix and is the time and risk in upgrading worth the benifit of that functionality.

If it is then :thumbsup: go for it.

If your unable to point to any then just get on with running your buissness and let things settle down. Jumping into using software that is changing so fequently allways comes with risks. Cosidering all the other challange most buissnes face at the moment do you realy need to add to that list.

Who knows in a few months you may have more options to pick from that just Phoenix.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LeeFoster said:

From my point of view, 'No'. I just can't keep putting it off so waiting for 1.0.6.0 and then going live with it and continuing updating my test shop is the way I'm going to go.

 

1 hour ago, Dan Cole said:

For me that is both fair and realistic.  I have add-ons I can't live without and until they are updated the choice is update or lose those functions.   My current plan is to get a live site up and running 1.0.5.0 (I'm close) and then keep a development branch going that I can add updates to, both core and add-ons. Taking that to say 1.0.6.0 and when it's ready to release, I'll rinse and repeat.  Until the add-ons get to a point where they are not impacted by changes to the core I don't think it can be managed in any other way.  If there is, I'd certainly be interested in knowing. 

Dan

 

 

2 hours ago, burt said:

I'm constantly surprised and sometimes astonished at the words that come out of shopowners...

What you guys are implying is that it is too much work to apply a 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minute upgrade to your shop, because you have used addons that change core code or may break.  Would that be a fair assessment?

Same with me as with both Dan and Lee. I so far have not changed any core code, but I am going to have to just to get what I consider to be basic functionality that is required to run my store, which is not currently available or possible with the current core code (not bashing the core code though), its more the fault of the availability of addons. Some apparent addons for Phoenix still require core code changes either because the developer has no idea what they are doing, or there is no way around it. I cant afford to keep putting off an update, and I cannot keep paying developers to carry out addon updates, when many are not that interested in doing it (the original addon creators I mean).

As with others I will update the live store with the version that I am currently working on, and when time permits, carry on updating in a test site until I feel that its right to upload and update the site again, and then start the test site all over again when new updates become available.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nedragdnuos said:

I currently have my frozen site live and running and was wondering which version of phoenix I should be upgrading to?

I would, at least start working on updating. Frozen is getting a little long on the tooth and is sun-setted.   If you're relying on any add-ons using 1.0.5.0 might be your best bet. I would land there and once you get that as you like....launch it and then begin updating beyond that.

Dan  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's precisely the point of the versioning - make a decision to use a software/version and then use it until one wants (or needs) to upgrade/change.

As for being held back by addons - the whole point of ALL that Matt and I do is to make things easier for addon makers and by extension that makes life easier for shopowners.  Admittedly we have some addon makers who don't subscribe to the ethos of recoding things in a way that does not require core code change.

As I say, I find it astonishing that anyone would be upset about forward movement.


Help shape the future of Phoenix; join the Phoenix Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, burt said:

As I say, I find it astonishing that anyone would be upset about forward movement.

No one should be upset by that. It is a good thing.  Shop owners and developers just need pick the version they want to use or support and go from there.  You don't need to follow every update as some seem to be doing and then complain to developers that add-ons are broken.    

Dan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

You don't need to follow every update as some seem to be doing and then complain to developers that add-ons are broken

I install every update but that's so I can help with error reports. But you are right forward movement is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, burt said:

As I say, I find it astonishing that anyone would be upset about forward movement.

Excellent! A new, powerful engine and a sturdy frame with wheels appeared, but at the moment it is impossible to drive such a machine. There are no comfortable seats, no rear-view mirrors, no power windows, and the roof is also canvas. You cannot install this motor in an old car, because the fasteners do not fit, but on the new there is nothing of this. Yes, the new engine is better, but this is not enough for a normal trip.
Reading the forum, I see that every first one is interested in the same thing: How to create an online new client, How to make a price  list, how to manage boxes, etc. All this by default should already be included, but this is not. Now they object to me that this was not the case in the old CMS, but the task of humanity is to evolve, and not to remain in the same place. Of course, you can wait a few years until new plugins appear that can solve these problems, just ask yourself the question: how many people want to work on such a CMS? Perhaps elementary tools for store management should be included in the set by default?

Edited by Yurius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, burt said:

I'm constantly surprised and sometimes astonished at the words that come out of shopowners...

What you guys are implying is that it is too much work to apply a 1 or 2 or 5 or 10 minute upgrade to your shop, because you have used addons that change core code or may break.  Would that be a fair assessment?

I don't think we are trying to be discouraging; just realistic.  It's not actually a fair assessment.  I can only speak for myself, but I have at least 3 add-ons whose original developers are either long gone, or refuse to support the newer changes required.  If I lose one particular add-on (USPS shipping), I'm out of business. So, if I applied the 5-10 minute upgrade, it could result in days or longer before getting help with an error.  Meanwhile ... if I beg for help, I get responses suggesting that I pay for an outside developer to fix things.  If I could pay for an outside developer, I'd never have gone with OsCommerce in the first place.  (I've actually paid for something in the past, but never got anything for it.)

Yeah, if we back things up we can put it back in short order, but that's still scary as hell with a live store.  Sometimes, even after checking as extensively as you can, things break a week or two later on something you never predicted.  Meanwhile, you've had some new orders and new customers added to the database.  How do you go back to the backup then?  Perform an incremental database update/conversion again?  Your store is broken and it might even be in the database.  Heck, I'm taking a chance just going with Phoenix as it is.  What do I do when USPS changes something again?

Please understand.  I didn't set out to complain.  Phoenix is a wonderful project and I'm 100% behind it and you.  But you seem to be asking where these views come from. 😉

 

EDIT: Just to be clear, all those Russian fake user accounts with 2.3.4 was driving me crazy.  Phoenix and the Supporters Code stopped that completely (well, I've had one in about a month - used to get 6-12 per day).  So, taking the chance with Phoenix has been very, very, well worth it.  There's just some nagging worries that continue ...

Edited by TomB01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why I am still in EDGE and I am updating to Frozen. Frozen has all the addons you need. It is safe and was tested by several users. The only disadvantage is that it does not support higher versions of PHP than 7.1, but it does not matter!  because most of the hosting give you the possibility to use PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.1 ...
My hosting assure me that they have no intention of discontinuing PHP 5.6, therefore in 1 year or 2 I will see what options are on the market and I will make a decision.

For now I'm going to cook something ... in my country we are all waxed at home by the corona virus . I hope you are all very well. 

Take care everyone and wait, in a while I am sure we will have new wonderful options and news.

Best regards.

Valqui


:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×