Reminder that "Frozen" goes EOL on 17 May 2020 [extended by request]. 

Now is the time to consider transferring to Phoenix, as you have 6 months before life support for Frozen is turned off.

Help shape the future of Phoenix; join the Phoenix Club

Thanks @burtfor creating Frozen and for extending his life.
I am creating a new Frozen site but I don't think I'm going to finish it briefly. What will happen when the EOL arrives? You will not answer more Frozen questions in the forum? which implies the EOL exactly? I appreciate the relevant clarifications.

BR

Valqui

Please do not falsify my words. Are you interested in knowing who does it? Send me a PM.

The Phoenix Club won't allow me to join - why not?

Setting up a new Frozen site with so many nice addons available on the market. 

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart:

1 hour ago, valquiria23 said:

am creating a new Frozen site but I don't think I'm going

I am not sure if this is a wise decision (understatement).

1 hour ago, valquiria23 said:

Thanks @burtfor creating Frozen and for extending his life.
I am creating a new Frozen site but I don't think I'm going to finish it briefly. What will happen when the EOL arrives? You will not answer more Frozen questions in the forum? which implies the EOL exactly? I appreciate the relevant clarifications.

BR

Valqui

Make the move to Phoenix instead. Will be a lot easier to update and keep up to date with.

😂 PHP 7.4 is now live! so does this mean you have all been wasting your time updating your sites to 7.3!!

NO of course not....

EOF is of no intrest to most people they will build a site using a version of software configure it and customise it as they like. They then use it. To update or not is to decide if the update offers any aditional benfits that they need. If the answer is yes then good update. If the answer is no then just get on with running your buisness.

There is no single answer for all each has to decide waht is right for them.

Edited by JcMagpie

41 minutes ago, LeeFoster said:

Make the move to Phoenix instead. Will be a lot easier to update and keep up to date with.

Thanks Lee for your advice.
If I was starting a new site from scratch I would surely study other options.
I have been working on the Frozen site for a long time and I really don't want to throw all that work in the trash. Frozen is already tested and all the addons I need are in the market.

Phoenix is constantly updating and the truth is that I do not have the time and strength to be updating the site in addition to setting it up from scratch.

Are the Frozen forums going to be deleted from this site? what impact will EOL have on practice, since software is not the same as an electrodetic or a car that no longer has spare parts after EOL.

Cheers

Valqui

Please do not falsify my words. Are you interested in knowing who does it? Send me a PM.

8 hours ago, valquiria23 said:

What will happen when the EOL arrives? You will not answer more Frozen questions in the forum? which implies the EOL exactly?

With software, it means that it won't get security updates. 

Always back up before making changes.

7 hours ago, valquiria23 said:

what impact will EOL have on practice, since software is not the same as an electrodetic or a car that no longer has spare parts after EOL.

As mentioned by others, it won't make much difference as far as the core code is concerned. But one related problem it creates is that new addons probably won't work in Frozen and existing ones may not be updated. But if your Frozen shop is working fine, it will continue to do so. Though it may not work above a certain php version so, eventually, It will need to be replaced. With that said, I have clients still using RC2 shops, which reached EOL 10 years. or so, ago.

Thank you very much @Jack_mcs and @ecartzfor your clarifications. Simple and clear answers!

So can I use the phoenix version with the old version "osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4" database. I migrated the database with version 2.3.4 but now I am getting redirect problem on admin login page.

Thanks

18 hours ago, jawadakr said:

So can I use the phoenix version with the old version "osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4" database. I migrated the database with version 2.3.4 but now I am getting redirect problem on admin login page.

Some changes are needed but I can't think of any that would cause a redirect, assuming you are installing it to the same location.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:54 PM, Jack_mcs said:

Some changes are needed but I can't think of any that would cause a redirect, assuming you are installing it to the same location.

I did the whole thing from scratch. somehow that seems to fix the problem but I am still using the os commerce default version and planning to move to a responsive version instead of working on it anymore.

some updates regarding the migration from old oscommerce non responsive version ( upto latest 2.3.4 version) to responsive phoenix version.

1) Their are couple of data type changes in the database for the new version along with additional fields in some tables.

2) Some of the fields input length is change or increase. In one case the value was short so I just change it to text. hopefully that won't messed up big time for me.

Bug

1) Their seems to be possible bug with the address book area. The table has a separate column for saving the state but someone it seems to be empty or going empty. We just added 2 new addresses for testing purpose for PO box checking and they were not working for us. Adding state name ( complete name not Initials ) seems to fix the problem for us.

Regards

Jawad