• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Windows .sql editor

SCH_001

Hi all, in OSC I have been backing up my database but it's now too large to restore via OSC
And I don't need to restore the whole database.

Is there a Windows editor that I can open the .sql file with and remove the tables that I don't need to restore?

2 hours ago, SCH_001 said:

Is there a Windows editor that I can open the .sql file with and remove the tables that I don't need to restore?

You can edit the .sql file in any text editor, even Notepad or Wordpad.  You'll lose syntax highlighting and parse warnings, but if you're just deleting tables, that shouldn't be a big deal. 

Stack Overflow has a list of files capable of handling exceptionally large files.  Note that Notepad is on that list. 

I would expect code editors like eclipse or Notepad++ to be able to handle a 90MB file.  It's when you get into GBs that they give up. 

Always back up before making changes.

5 hours ago, SCH_001 said:

The simple answer is yes!  https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

Liberoffice Base , It's open source and you can play with you db as much as you like on your PC.

However as @Jack_mcs has already said you should learn to use the db tools in you cPanel as they can do everything you need and are very simple to use

phpmyadmin is all you need for 99% of things required in osC.

Oh and as allways make a db backup before you make any changes.

9 hours ago, SCH_001 said:

I have the .sql file on my PC it's 90meg upload limit is 50meg yes I can zip it up but still do not know how to work with it.

In order to use phpmyadmin, you have to have the database setup and populated so that phpmyadmin can see it.  If you can create a database to work with, then you can use the BigDump program to populate it. But that is a lot of work if you are just making this one change. Editing the file directly as mentioned by @ecartzis probably the better option in that case.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived