• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Some Admin menu items missing - maybe disabled by the hosting company?

OSCNewbie2

Hi folks, OSCNewbie here, trying to help a friend with her OSCommerce site which she took over from a friend of hers here in Florida USA.

The store is "controlled" by an offshore web hosting company, and communications with them are not easy to do (time difference, language issues). 

I've logged into the store and made some basic changes for her, but we can't make all the changes we wish to, maybe because some of the Admin Menu items (like 'Store' under the Configuration section) are missing and may have been disabled by the hosting company and are not visible (?).

Also, we want to change the phone number which is appearing at the bottom of every page, maybe it's in the footer.php file (I'm not 100% sure on that), but the footer.php file does not appear in the list of files under the Tools->File manager, and I don't have FTP access to the site, I only have access via the Admin login screen.

Please see screenshot images attached which show you what I mean.

Also, when I go to Tools->Database Backup, I get a screen with “Error: Backup directory is not writeable.” in pink at the top left, and no options of backing up anything.  Maybe that function has also been disabled? 

Any help on how to fix these issues would be very much appreciated, thanks!

store_screenshot_2.jpg

store_screenshot_1.jpg

store_screenshot_4.jpg

My Store: third item under Configuration. 😂

Phone depends, this is a customization. May be under Configuration : My Store: Phone number

or in the footer hardcoded (includes/footer.php) or in the main language file (includes/languages/english.php

Post your footer file if you don't find it.

If you have no ftp, you can edit the files in your CPanel : File Manager.

But you should try to get ftp access.

28 minutes ago, OSCNewbie2 said:

Any help on how to fix these issues would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Use your browser inspection tool to help find the correct place to look. Just highligh the number in question and you see the code driving it is shown. The class used is a good clue as to where to stat looking. As you can see it's using the footer class and as it's on  the bottom of the site it's a good likely hood that it's in a footer file either hard coded or in a language file.

image.thumb.png.7e67ba6e7accd291d6cba356946c398a.png

As to backups if you have cpanel access then check the file setting for the backup folder and make sure it can be written to.

As to the store...........it happens to us all at some point, I spent over 20min looking for my glasses only to find they next to my chair where I had left them the whole time!!!

Thanks for the prompt replies, much appreciated!

To answer them -

- "My Store", what can I say, 😝 duh!
But please see attached screenshot of that screen, the only phone number option is "Store Address and Phone" which I've changed but that made no difference to the bottom right.

- The other weird thing is, if I go to Tools->File Manager, and click on any of the folders on that list (such as 'Includes' or any other folder listed there), I don't see the contents of that folder, it just defaults back to the main top level list of files that it displays before I click on any folder.
It's as if access to all those folders has been blocked. Is that possible?
So consequently I can't see the footer.php file or any others at the lower folder levels.

- I have no access to CPanel or FTP on this website, so cannot take up any of the suggestions that require that, sorry. Will ask the host provider if we can get it but they will prob think we're going to break something if we go in there lol

Thanks!.

store_screenshot_5.jpg

store_screenshot_6.jpg

Admin file manager is considered a security risk and has been removed therefore in newer osc versions. It seems file editing is disabled in this store,

You need ftp or cpanel access if you wish to do somethng in the store.

The store phone has been separated in newer osc versions from the store address. So you have an old 2.2 store.

I can see index.php in your file list and others like download.php ad create_account_success.php which are in the root directory. The footer.php file is inside the includes/ directory.

However I see also the header.php in your list which should be in the includes/directory. Something is not standard in your store.

OK many thanks for those insights, we will contact the hosting company and see what they are prepared to do for us.

Would you say that OSCommerce is still a viable option for an online store of this kind? -
https://www.tymbercreekfabrics.com/

Or should she move it to Magento or something else? It seems that OSC is a dying project from what I see on builtwith.com

The new owner is not tech savvy and needs something as simple as possible. Ideally I'd like to get this site fixed for her to the point where she can start taking orders again, and then maybe in a few months she can consider moving to another platform if she feels like it.
But there are quite a list of things that need to be corrected in this store related to ordering, payments, shipping, stock control, etc.

I think I could help her with a lot of it if I could get proper access to the store, but an OSC Pro like yourself would prob be what she really needs if she could afford it. Am sure you could fix what's required in 1/10th of the time it would take me to figure it all out.
The store was inherited to her by her close friend who passed away, and she (new owner) has a very limited budget to work with, I just trade her dog-sitting time for working on her store. 
Will see what I can do.

9 hours ago, OSCNewbie2 said:

It seems that OSC is a dying project from what I see on builtwith.com

😂 not fair! yuor using the forum and people are responding you can hardly call that dying..... I'm sure it still has a mild pulse......

9 hours ago, OSCNewbie2 said:

The new owner is not tech savvy and needs something as simple as possible.

That's a hard question to answer as osC has never been turn key ever.. If she has no wish to get involved in setting up or code then she is probably best of using a fully supported/hosted service.... These days you have many to select from. They typicaly supply you with a ready to use web shop and the good ones have a very easy to use back end that anyone can use with no need to worry about code or configuration. They typicaly just ask for the old database if your moving an existing site, and imort it into the new shop.

Many offer a basic webshop free as part of the hosting package and if you need more fetures you can simply pay for what you need and it's turned on. Try talking to some of the osC partners and see if they can offer such a simple service. 

The main advantage of this tpye of pakage is you spend your time running your buissnes not managing the shop code!

Archived