• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PHP and the newest cPanel

ArtcoInc

I have two live shops. One is running the Community Edition osC v2.3.3.4 (yes, it's that old). The other is running the pre-gold Community Edition osC v2.3.4. I am working on a new site using Phoenix, but that's still in development.

I had configured my host to use PHP v5.6 on my shops, and everything was running fine.

My host recently did an unannounced upgrade to the cPanel tool set which, unfortunately, upgraded all of my shops to PHP v7.3. Needless to say, there were problems.

The first issue I noticed was that I could no longer run the Security Check module in Admin for either shop. I verified that the code against a backup to make sure that it hadn't been hacked. It wasn't until I ran the Server Info module in Admin did I notice that the version of PHP had been changed to v7.3.

I logged into my host's cPanel, and discovered that the oldest version of PHP available was v7.0. I rolled back to v7.0, but that did not fix the issues I was having. I contacted tech support through their chat function <grumble, grumble>. I explained the problem, and asked if my sites could be rolled back to PHP v5.6. Yes, but not through cPanel. The new version of cPanel only supports PHP versions 7.0 and up. The tech support person was able to roll back my sited to PHP v5.6 by editing the .htaccess file(s) for all of the sites. They are back up and running now. Server Info shows I'm running PHP v5.6, even though cPanel says I'm running PHP v7.0.

I hope this info may assist someone who may run into a similar issue.

Malcolm

It's time to make a big update of your solution.
7.1 is soon out of the road, no update will be pushed. Most of the hoster has started to work with 7.3, 7.4 end of this month.
You are lucky that php 5.6 is again available. Your hoster is cool on that.

But your description can help some people with a similar problem. It's nice to explain what's happening.
But do not forget it's temporary.

The hoster can not let inside their server a php version with some security problem.
It can be a problem for their infrastructure.

Lesson: save a little bit each me to migrate your application

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

I can see my hosts doing something like this soon. Siteground have been saying that they are updated all existing users cpanel account to their own system so something like this may happen to me soon. More reason to get on an upgrade I suppose.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

This is the same nonsense my old host told me about 18 months ago! I simlply moved to a new host that knows what they are doing. You don't say what version cPanel you have been moved to? I'm running on what is curently the latest version and have no issues geting php5.6 in cpanel. Works fine and told will be avaialable as long as I need it.

If required I could go as far back as PHP4.4.... Maybe you ned to look for a new host?

image.png.0a75b3dd70aff081bcf090acba6cce18.png

image.png.5548d69dcc11cc0c41a8527c7829cd1d.png

Archived