• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Product Attributes on Synology NAS

SteveD-uk

Hi All,

I've just installed oscommerce on a Synology Disk Station NAS.

Looking to review if this will allow me to have a shop to sell Photo/Video/Artwork etc

I have created a Product Attribute and given it a number of values - how do I add that to the Product? When I select 'add a product' there seems to be a standard form with no option to add the new attributes.

From reading the documentation people mention additional modules etc, do these work on Synology devices? I would be interested in anyone's feedback on using this system as I'm concerned this version may be less functional than a version installed on a server, for instance when selecting UK as the location, the Time Zone drop down contains no entries to select.

The version is the current one for that system and the tag line shows Online Merchant with no version number

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the multiple questions!

Regards

Steve

33 minutes ago, SteveD-uk said:

I've just installed oscommerce

You do not say which version you are using but the latest Phoenix 1.0.3.0 is advised (download link in my signature).

35 minutes ago, SteveD-uk said:

created a Product Attribute and given it a number of values - how do I add that to the Product

In the same section as you created Option Names and then assign Option Values to those names - bottom of section - Products Attributes assigns these to products - these will then show on shop side product pages.

38 minutes ago, SteveD-uk said:

selecting UK as the location, the Time Zone drop down contains no entries to select.

There is the option to choose Time Zone in the installation procedure.

41 minutes ago, SteveD-uk said:

Synology Disk Station NAS.

No idea!

1 hour ago, SteveD-uk said:

I've just installed oscommerce on a Synology Disk Station NAS

Installing on NAS is only relavent if it's connected to a webserve! A network storage  device in itself is not a webserver.

24 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

Installing on NAS is only relavent if it's connected to a webserve! A network storage  device in itself is not a webserver.

The Synology Disk Station NAS is a Linux box.  It's quite capable of running a web server.  That said:

This would also require dynamic DNS if the internet uses a DHCP IP address (most residential connections do, e.g. a cable modem or FIOS). 

Emails tend not to work well from residential IPs.  It's easy for the IP to get blacklisted and hard for it to get off the blacklist (since you don't own the IP and can't set up things like a PTR).  You'd probably need to set up something like SMTP authentication, which is not stock in osCommerce. 

Running a web server on a residential internet account may break the terms of service. 

The firewall on the modem (cable, FIOS, whatever) may prevent outsiders from reaching ports 80 (http), 443 (https), and 25 (SMTP/email) on the Disk Station. 

I would not want to publish my home IP as associated with a public web server.  There are a set of exploits that will work on a NAS or a PC that won't work on a web server.  But if they know that the IP covers all those services, they can choose any one of those areas for entry and then compromise the others from that.  Because it's easier to compromise when inside the firewall. 

This would be much more practical to use as a test server with a production server managed on regular shared hosting.  It's going to be finicky and give a set of problems that the host would handle if you paid.  But if it's your own server, you have to manage all that and fix it when it breaks.  It's not a simple solution.  It's not an impossible one, but I would not recommend it for anyone but an expert system administrator. 

Always back up before making changes.

Thanks to you all for your comments and helpful insights

I have a number of systems using the NAS from external locations with emails in/out, but I do understand your comments. I hadn't known about Phoenix (until Mikepo enlightened me), I'd just used to app that comes with the Synology system.

I was looking to use this to see if there was interest in the photo's, videos and hand drawn artwork before launching at a full server and all that entails. I will consider all options.

Good to see such an active community

Regards

Steve

Archived