• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Terms of Use.

JcMagpie

12 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

You can talk about the merits of osC without violating the terms of use.

Which are as below, we have discused other carts many times on this forum never known it to be an issue before. I belive item 5 is broken on a  regular bases.

Links to personal test site have been posted many times and have been discussed and agreen with HPDL as fine as long as the name in not shown in the link.

Forums
  1. Respect must be shown towards other members. The forum is not a venue for disputes between members.
  2. Topics discussed in the forum must relate to a product or service we provide.
  3. Advertising a commercial product or service is not allowed, except for our Partners who have their own dedicated area in the forum to publish in.
  4. Spamming, unsolicited communication, and repeat posting, either publicly or privately, are not allowed.
  5. All extensions, add-ons, or Apps discussed in the forum must be available for download at our Apps Marketplace.

I split this topic out from another thread.  I think it deserves it's own thread.  I'll comment further when I wake up.  Coffee is in hand.

Dan

Unfortunately, this forum becomes to close or restrict. It's good to have some examples come from other e-commerce solutions that can improve the discussion and orientation for this osC solution.
To have this attitude is just for me about the community message : osC is out of the road compared to other solutions. It's true on the code, it's not true on the basics functionalities.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

@Gyakutsuki,

Your message has a very special connotation given the censorship on the forum of your fork of OsCommerce indicating that one of my messages posted here has been copied without quoting the author ...
The sprinkler watered?

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

1 hour ago, Gyakutsuki said:

It's good to have some examples come from other e-commerce solutions that can improve the discussion and orientation for this osC solution.

I  agree ... Ignoring other carts possibilities/solutions/features/ etc would be a mistake .. I am Totally aware of the fact most of them are kind of forks of oSC in different ways... But still - some of them show nice features which IMHO can easily be adopted into Phoenix as "Certified Addons". ... But it might be good to discuss

@Bonbec : Like here, there is moderator, and take decisions. That's all.  You make a fuss for not much. 2 links.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

@Gyakutsuki,

The art of minimizing things ... Lack of openness that you blame here but you apply. In France, we have a saying that says "Do what I say, not what I do". This is my last message on the subject, I said what I had to say.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

Okay I'm now probably about as awake as I'll get today.  

4 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

we have discused other carts many times on this forum never known it to be an issue before

I'm sure we do and I kind of liken it to our local by-laws. Generally our by-law officers expect that folks will respect and comply with the laws (rules) as enacted. That works in most cases but when those rules are violated they are enforced on a complaint type basis. The community doesn't have the resources to do otherwise so if you violate the by-laws and someone complains, they are enforced. On the other hand, if they go unnoticed or you are liked by your neighbors you're not reported and end up getting a pass. Those who are not liked are usually reported and end up receiving warnings or tickets on a regular basis.  The rules on this forum tend to work this way too -- if a post is reported it is usually dealt with, generally with a warning and a reminder of what the rules are.  That is how I deal with it and how I've seen this process work over the years.  IMHO that is probably how it should be.

I belive item 5 is broken on a  regular bases.

I've seen this several times too and I've also seen Garys @burt response that I think referred to a subsequent post from HPDL indicating this was okay in certain circumstances. I'm not sure I've seen the post itself but it might be helpful if we reviewed that.  It would be good to have some clarification on it.

And lastly...

5 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Links to personal test site have been posted many times and have been discussed and agreen with HPDL as fine as long as the name in not shown in the link.

As long at these are to osC test sites I don't see that being an issue.  Linking to competitors software or test site running competitors software is, I think, another story.  If you're saying that has been okayed by HPDL too please post it here so we can ignore those posts in the future.   

Okay gone to get more coffee.

Dan    

2 hours ago, azpro said:

I  agree ... Ignoring other carts possibilities/solutions/features/ etc would be a mistake .. I am Totally aware of the fact most of them are kind of forks of oSC in different ways... But still - some of them show nice features which IMHO can easily be adopted into Phoenix as "Certified Addons". ... But it might be good to discuss

I agree and there is no reason you can't.  You just need to word it appropriately and not directly link to the external site.  Talking about new features and developments is one of the main reason the forum exists.

Dan

16 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

Linking to competitors software or test site running competitors software is, I think, another stor

I have been told by HPDL personaly ( he actualy typed out how it should be done) That linking to my personal TEST sites is not an issue as long as the sites name is not part of the link. As for other software you should be aware that many users use more than one cart and many live sites in the live site section are NOT osC sites.

But what's the point, I'm wasting my time as it's clear one hand has no idea what the other is doing. So yes keep deleting posts and moving posts if it make you happy.

😂 I see we are now splitting hairs, no problem the op can visit my Phoenix site and we can discuss any issues about the other cart which is a simple install in Pm's I'm sure that will keep everyone happy.

You can see my test site here in my Phoinex test site

Just ave a play with the links. It will also show what you can do with Phoinex with a few add-ons all available for free from the app's store. Some are work in progress but all will be free in the app's store

6 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

I have been told by HPDL personaly ( he actualy typed out how it should be done) That linking to my personal TEST sites is not an issue as long as the sites name is not part of the link.

I don't think he meant to include personal TEST sites that have nothing to do with osC or are not running on osC software but I believe he has been asked for clarification.  Hopefully we'll have a definitive answer in the near future and can proceed accordingly.

Dan

8 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

I don't think he meant to include personal TEST sites that have nothing to do with osC or are not running on osC software but I believe he has been asked for clarification.  Hopefully we'll have a definitive answer in the near future and can proceed accordingly.

Dan

I'd suggest this bit:

You are more than welcome to showcase customizations made to any of your osCommerce test installations

covers that.  

18 hours ago, azpro said:

There is absolutely no problem with discussions about other carts, so long as the discussion is in the context of us here at osCommerce. 
For example, there would be absolutely no problem in someone asking;

• At the moment I am using "whatever-cart", I'm thinking about changing to osc...does osc have XYZ feature?

And no problem in someone replying;

• It doesn't have XYZ, but if you install osc and then download this addon...you will then have something very like XYZ

There is a problem in that person given advice such as;

• Keep using "whatever-cart"

It's a matter of common sense.  Does the reply that is being made "help the situation" with regards to osC gaining positivity.  If yes:  post it.  If no:  dont post it.

As has been done a number of times before a commet is moved out of a thread without the OP's request and a new thread made in the OP's name! Taken totaly out of context to confuse and manipulate...

In every original post the person asking the question was told to download Phoinex and try it for himself every time.

If you think the coverstion is worth haveing then please make your own thread and don't use my name to your own end's.

Here's a great example, and you can find many more across the forum.  There has never been a problem with talking about other carts, so long as the discussion includes osCommerce;  

In that thread, there are just two hidden replies (only admins and moderators can see these) - both of these replies had external links.  It's always been that way.  External links (which are usually just spam) get nuked.  One of those hidden replies is from dear old John (Joli), who we all remember as being one of the most active osc supporters there ever was.

Archived