• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Does osCommerce work "out of the box"?

waynec444

9 minutes ago, waynec444 said:

I need a shopping cart that provides basic functions when installed properly. OpenCart does not and it seems as if it cannot be fixed to work at all. Some functions work but things like checkout do not.

You may need to install some addons to get everything you want but for the most part yes. Just make sure you go for Phoenix as it is the latest version and is going to be the best one.

16 minutes ago, waynec444 said:

I need a shopping cart that provides basic functions when installed properly.

Yes, the latest Phoenix 1.0.3.0 is ideal - modular too so you can addon as you go but just as you say - it is ready to go 'out of the box'.
Download link (also in my signature) https://github.com/gburton/CE-Phoenix/archive/master.zip

@waynec444

osCommerce (do use the Phoenix version, as the last 'official' version is very much out of date) will work out-of-the-box, but it will require you to configure it properly. Obviously, you will need to configure all of the shop information (shop name, address, email addresses, phone numbers, etc), and enter all of your inventory (descriptions, weights, prices, photos, etc). You will need to set up shipping zones and tax zones.

You will also need to set up your shipping method(s). A couple of methods are included with the software, but you may need to download and install modules if your shipper is not included.

You will also need to set up your payment method(s). Again, a couple of methods are included, but you may need to download and install additional module(s).

Lastly, if you want to to add any additional functionality, additional modules (add-ons) are available. You will need to download and install these too.

HTH

Malcolm

As others have said, yes it will work out of the box. Will it give you all the functionality you want out of the box.? No. You will need to put in a bit of work to find the features that you want and install them. With the latest Phoenix version that is not as hard as it sounds as most modules are one click installs. Give it a try, you may be surprised.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

This is what the eagle would refer to as No.1 BS.

The cart the OP is takling about offers virtually everything a real ecommerse site needs to run a real buissness out of the box. I know as I use the current version I've not had to find, beg, borrow or buy a single add-on to get the functionality required.

lean and simple core does not have to mean it's stripped of functionality, this is simply made available as ready installed add-on which you just turn on as require. The main difference is with the OP's cart  they come with the install. Example the cart comes with 2 CAPTCHA for the user to install out of the box that cover every form in the install.

Marketing tools come with the cart! the list is very long......

But as I said in my first post give Phoenix a try as it's the best way to learn if it's any good for what you need.

6 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

may as well delete the OP also if it's not allowed to talk about Opencart ...

You can talk about the merits of osC without violating the terms of use.  The OP wasn't asking about a competing product he was asking about osC.

Dan

6 minutes ago, bonbec said:

Zahid, Your last message has nothing to do with the initial message of waynec444 😕

Moved the post that was referenced to a separate thread for further discussion. 

Dan

Utter nonsense!

My comments were directly relavent to OP's comments as he was asking if osC was better out of the box that Opencart. As I use both I was able to advise and recomend he try osC to see for him self.

• burt changed the title to Does osCommerce work "out of the box"?

It's gone a bit sideways, so let's try to get back on track...

@waynec444 the best plan would be a quick installation of Phoenix which will give a general idea if it may be suitable for your needs.  Once you have tried it, and you (will) see missing functionality that you need...post back and you will, no doubt, get some advice on what addon(s) to add.  If you keep in mind that the general ethos of osCommerce (and especially Phoenix) is a lean core, allowing shopowner to do many things without having to go deep into changing core codes.  Bear in mind that there are a *lot* of addons, so opinions on the "best"/"easiest" will vary.

28 minutes ago, burt said:

It's gone a bit sideways, so let's try to get back on track...

@waynec444 the best plan would be a quick installation of Phoenix which will give a general idea if it may be suitable for your needs.  Once you have tried it, and you (will) see missing functionality that you need...post back and you will, no doubt, get some advice on what addon(s) to add.  If you keep in mind that the general ethos of osCommerce (and especially Phoenix) is a lean core, allowing shopowner to do many things without having to go deep into changing core codes.  Bear in mind that there are a *lot* of addons, so opinions on the "best"/"easiest" will vary.

I just want a basic program that will allow me to list products within categories, then allow the user to buy them (checkout). I don't need or want anything fancy. Just the basics.

To see what I am wanting to do, please visit thedirectoryofkaraokesongs.com/index.php. You will see that it is very simple and basic. IF this is doable, I am about ready to ditch OC. Will give them a LITTLE more time but I doubt very much they will be able to fix their issues. Thanks for being patient and kind, something sometimes lacking you know where.

I did go through the demo as suggested.

That can all be done in Phoenix.

You can see my test site here in my Phoinex test site

Just ave a play with the links. It will also show what you can do with Phoinex with a few add-ons all available for free from the app's store. Some are work in progress but all will be free in the app's store

24 minutes ago, waynec444 said:

To see what I am wanting to do, please visit thedirectoryofkaraokesongs.com/index.php. You will see that it is very simple and basic. IF this is doable, I am about ready to ditch OC. Will give them a LITTLE more time but I doubt very much they will be able to fix their issues. Thanks for being patient and kind, something sometimes lacking you know where.

I did go through the demo as suggested.

I don't know Opencart in-depth, though I do know Dan (owner of opencart), we had some conversations in the past. 

I can tell you that it has differences opencart isn't phoenix and phoenix isn't opencart, so both of them will have things you don't want and both of them will have things missing that you do want.  Phoenix only takes a minute to download and install, so best is to do that and try it.    If there is then something you do want, but is missing...then ask for more advice on the best solution and I am certain that Phoenix users will give you their view.

I think you already tried a test order on the demo install - how did you like it ?  

9 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

very selective in your deleting, no links images that would mean nothing to any one but the op but still you need to do your thing.

Yup...just doing my job and responding to the complaints.

Dan

1 minute ago, JcMagpie said:

It's ok my mistake.

No problem...if there is something that is not clear regarding rule #2 lets talk about it in that other thread.

Dan

Archived