• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Bot reports and User Friendliness

Garret Krampe

Google Bots reports :

Top Issues

The following issues were found on your site:

We recommend that you fix these issues when possible to enable the best experience and coverage in Google Search.

I know that the package I have was installed from CPANEL and then modified so now I have to stay here on 2.3.4 Version

But surely there is a way to have the oscommerce work out of the box without hacking and smacking it around forever and ever.

So many issues now present them selves with SEO and mobile .

I have heard that "BOOT STRAP" is the one I SHOULD have installed and modified.

This thing has no backed and reporting .. really a base for code hacking.

Does anyone have something that is mostly complete and usable that is:

Mobile friendly

5 decimal point weights with g/kg/lb/oz Units of measure

Multi Currency and language

BOM or Bundles

Attributes that are easy and work every time

resize images for thumbs and large 

Australia post shipping .. lol yeah probably not

SEO friendly

Html Editor for descriptions etc

Supplier Supplier price supplier SKU and details for supplier

Reorder report by supplier

Stock entry by SKU (model) / Supplier etc

Moving average cost price / history FIFO/LIFO etc

A simple product listing with prices and BOM (bundle info and pictures) sort -u on models as some are duplicated to different categories.

Options with weight and price and qty to include model added as build a sub kit on the fly AND (*/-+) in decimal.

DECIMAL STOCK 5 places.

Units of Measure of stock and conversions ie 50g of salt = 2 cm^3 ie Density and so on like 2m = 100g and stiff = 2000x10x10 size or rolled 100x100x50

VOLUME of product and MAX dimentions for shipping ie boundry box is 100x200x300mm and units

Boundry box calulations for shipping volume and size (minimised of course)

CUSTOMER DISCOUNTS  and Per product and Per category and per Qty.

Customers that are on commission and sales areas etc. by post code by state by country by list of customers.

Trade pricing for validated trade customers.

Shipping module : print the picking slip and take a picture of the product packed. before sending, add tracking to orders

You know ..something like a usable package without the 6 months of private hacking up code and side benching your system from main stream developments.

Garret

5 hours ago, Garret Krampe said:

Google Bots reports :

As for the main comment, this is quite normal as google is constantly updating it's rules. All three are ease fixes.

1) make all fonts minimun 16px

2) add view port setting to template_top

3) edit style sheet to add padding/margin around buttons and links.

or simply make site responsive. Can be done on official with a little time see https://jcmagpie.co.uk/

or swith to CE version.

As to the wish list 😊 I'm not aware of any cart paid or free that provides all of this out of the box. A number of paid carts come close but you still have to add aditional add-on's and configure them.

You should find that 90% of what you list is already coverd for the official code by add-on's in the app's market. Yes I know finding them is not easy on the apps store, just use google.

The other option is to pay a developer to mod the code for you as many have done. Talk to one of the partners as I'm sure they will have a solution for most of your needs.

@Garret Krampe
Sorry to hear you got off to a bad start with installing the old 2.3.4 cpanel version - it is way out of date.
As mentioned above - your first port of call should be the Phoenix Club.
You're right - you should start again with Phoenix 1.0.2.5. - perfect for mobile use - see the link below - look at the bottom of the page for 1.0.2.5
Much on your list is already in Phoenix but otherwise available as modules - just upload - no code hacking.
Some of your requirements are particular to your business model but you'll get help here to do them.

@Garret Krampe

And be sure to read your ISP the riot act for allowing you to install a badly outdated version of osC and wasting your time.

Dan

52 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

And be sure to read your ISP the riot act for allowing you to install a badly outdated version of osC and wasting your time.

Nothing to do with the ISP as 2.3.4.1 is still the offical download, as you will see if you go to the osC home page.

I don't know of any ISP that allows download of a community edition from the control panel do you? 

You would need to get people like softaculous to accept it onto the platform for it to be available for download from ISP's.

1 minute ago, JcMagpie said:

You would need to get people like softaculous to accept it onto the platform for it to be available for download from ISP's.

Exactly!

I think he said he installed 2.3.4 but it's a moot point.  Both are out of date and if end users don't push back and alert their ISP's nothing is likely to change.

Dan

1 hour ago, Dan Cole said:

Both are out of date

😊 Simply not true and you should know this. For it to be out of date would require a more upto date official version to be available! none is, 2.3.4.1 is still the official and latest version of the software and is the version available to down load from the official osC page. I would imagine that when HPDL releases V3.0 that will become the next official version available from ISP's.

Any change of what is offerd by ISP's will need to be driven by HDLP not we poor users. Try asking your host and see how far you get 😂 would love to know what they say.

Both are dated and don't work with the latest versions of php etc.  IMO we should not be encouraging others to use those dated versions when there are more up-to-date and even better versions available.  I grant you they aren't official but that's not at good reason to encourage folks to use older versions that only serve to tarnish osC's standing further.  I think it is time we put a period after the official versions and move along.    If and when we see a V3 we can then get behind it.

Dan

@Demitry has an interesting link at his signature https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

I understand there is always a "check version" on the admin dashboard. I am sure people use that multiple times and everytime they are probably disappointed seeing the slow pace of development or the difficulty of changing what is existing. They will either stop there and stay put with what they already have or they switch to another e-commerce software. Once switched, they are likely gone for a long long time. ☹️

😂 That trend link has been around for some time and if you search the forum you will find a nice responce from HPLD.

Just because you can now get the CE version is not a good reason to start trash talking the official version. Remember without the Official vesrsion you would have no CE version.

This is the Official forum for osC and all it's versions. A car maker may produce a new model this year but that will not make them trash talk last year model! you will find them selling and supporting all the past models.

The vast majority of the 20k (or so ) osC live sites are still based on an official version ( unless you know better ). As most people down load from the host this is a problem outside our control. As the official download page still shows the official version as the main one to download this again is out side our control.

As for recomendations I personaly avoide making them as in most cases I know very little about the buissnes the OP is trying to get of the ground. I find it better to give the OP all the relavent information and let them decide what is best for them.

I personaly run an number of versions of osC and find all have pro's and con's! In the end we need to remember that for some users a CE version is never going to be an acceptable option. Oh and I have oficial up and running on the latest PHP with no issues. You will also find the CE is not supporting the latest PHP either.

I think most people are competent enough to decide for themselves which version they will use.

I am MIFFED .. spent $350 AUD with the Author of the package to get some things fixed .. Nothing Happned .. 

Went to air tasker .. too many experts .. with no clue lost money there also.

The "OFFICIAL"  package is rubbish .. 

2009 verssion of what it could have been ..

So someone please point me to a DECENT eddition that is worth my time editing. PLEASE.

The SEO stuff available is 2014 .. rubbish 

it;s just a nightmare .

I have 2 weeks to re-invent my site .. as I am travelling .. 

HELP I need sales not dramas.

19 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Exactly!

I think he said he installed 2.3.4 but it's a moot point.  Both are out of date and if end users don't push back and alert their ISP's nothing is likely to change.

Dan

Yeah officially it is 2.3.5 now .. and not much in the way of being friendly at all .

This is a good LAMP system .. but .. DAMN it is Pre-School so far.

20 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Nothing to do with the ISP as 2.3.4.1 is still the offical download, as you will see if you go to the osC home page.

I don't know of any ISP that allows download of a community edition from the control panel do you? 

My ISP is a FILO Dream .. what ever with a co-lo in Western Australia. TRUELY BRAIN DEAD. no technicians. Just "oh you have a support question ? Yep well we will replay with "Glad we could fix your issies ticket closed " No matter what .. Crazy domains it is called.

3 minutes ago, Garret Krampe said:

My ISP is a FILO Dream

With the long list of requirments you have the best advice is talk to one of the partners or an experianced developer as you will definetly need help to get all the same functionality as your current system no matter what option you decide to go with.

Just now, JcMagpie said:

With the long list of requirments you have the best advice is talk to one of the partners or an experianced developer as you will definetly need help to get all the same functionality as your current system no matter what option you decide to go with.

OMG this has been indevelopment for 10 years or more .. and it's TOYS are broken .. Nothing serious about this app .. So damn dissapointing .. I am a perl programmer not a PHP programmer .. and the time frame I had was 2 months .. to get this thing up to spec .. FAILED .. totally FAILED .. no matter who I paid to help .. they had no clue .

On 10/21/2019 at 5:58 PM, LeeFoster said:

All of this should or will be available in the near future for Phoenix, the latest version of oscommerce. There is a club for it so that should be your starting point.

Sounds cool  BUT WHY is the old cray by the french guy being proposed as the "LATEST".

I am a coder .. and that stuff has no documentation and not comments .. it is utter garbage programming by a person that thinks it will never be changed.

SO disapointed  in the code .

@Garret Krampe let's stop with the drama.  I think we all understand that you made a series of sub-optimal choices, now you have to take a 30 minute step back and try to rescue the situation;

• how long is the timeline until you need a working site
  • of that list you posted which are "super important must haves" and which are "want it, but not immediately"

Once you have those in place, then decide which piece of software comes closest to your needs in the short term.  That may or may not be a version of osCommerce.

As an Aussie, I am certain you will get this as humorous;  Man Up Princess

20 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Exactly!

Dan

Yeah officially it is 2.3.5 now .. and not much in the way of being friendly at all .

Just now, Garret Krampe said:

Yeah look .. I got a 2009 system .. for Windows 98

When mobile phones were text only.

SOMEONE .. needs to kick this source into shape .

Hell I do not mind paying for what I get .. but  Harald Ponce de Leon was a pair of tits on a bull.

I had hoped that the "origionator"  might be cluded up .. but clearly out of touch with the now.

And happy to accept payments and do nothing .

All in All I am in business .. sure I can code .. but I do not want the write from scratch every thing .

At the end of the day .. IT has to be fuctional and work and make me money , not casue me heart attacks .

Adn pretty much every aspect of this package 2.3.4 has casued issues .. just to get it running

not talking about modifying it .. to give me what I need.

Archived