• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Responsive-osCommerce-Admin and Phoenix?

@theozsnowman

Welcome to the forum!

The responsive admin release worked perfectly for me when I tested it recently with Phoenix.

You can actually install it into a different admin folder, change includes / configure.php (within that admin folder) to point to the different admin directory, and have 2 admins, one bootstrapped, and one that standard, to compare the two.

The limitation is that modules you add are not themselves bootstrapped, so you would need to modify them when you add them to your admin.

Personally, I tested it out of curiosity, then went back to the standard one, as I found it original admin displays much better on a computer and I do not use my mobile routinely for admin duties.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Happy to help!

and if you have not yet installed Phoenix, or upgraded to it from an earlier version of osCommerce, I strongly recommend it.

Note the latest public release is 1.02.5.

The current release (early access available to Phoenix Supporters only) is 1.02.7 (1.02.8 being worked on currently).

The latest versions introduce significant refinements of the checkout pages.

Here is the announcements page: 

Also, make sure to consider joining the Phoenix Club.  

In there you will find details on how to become a Phoenix Supporter, which for a very reasonable donation (to advance the code) gives you early access to new releases and exclusive access to professionally modules, which will enhance your store at a fraction of the cost of what you would pay someone to code them for you.

All the best and good luck with your project!

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

5 hours ago, peterpil19 said:

Note the latest public release is 1.02.5.

The current release (early access available to Phoenix Supporters only) is 1.02.7 (1.02.8 being worked on currently). 

Hello, Peter:

I realize that a website is always a work in progress, Lord know I'm always tinkering with my own and changing things, trying new things.

But, it's rather off-putting to me to install something that really just sounds...not ready yet. 

I'm thinking of Microsoft Windows.  A new version released every 3 or 4 years.

Or maybe even Apple's iPhone - new ones every year or so.

But, not every week or two, like Phoenix.  The sheer number of releases implies that it's not stable or ready yet.

When is that going to settle down?  I'm curious, I'm interested, but...I don't want to install anything that needs to be upgraded every five minutes.

- Andrea

@puggybelle

Hi Andrea,

Phoenix is a fully-functional product based on a code base that has evolved over many many years. I am using it (as others are) for my live shop.

Point releases are optional and you can wait for more significant releases instead (i.e. 1.3.0)  but I would always recommend keeping your shop software up to date. It us up to you when you update.

I reckon I am forced to install updates to Windows / MacOS /iOS and other software on my mac, work pc and iphone almost every week. If you sometimes hit the equivalent of the ‘Snooze’ button you can install later but at your own risk of missing out on improved features and addressing security risks.

Properly maintained software gets maintained, and we are fortunate to count on @burt to not just do that, whilst improving the code base.

The number of point releases should be seen as being directly proportionate to the level of support Phoenix is getting (at no charge to shopowners). This should give your greater comfort,  not cause for concern. I wouldn’t want to invest in a shop whose software gets touched only once a year or less frequently

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

While Microsoft Windows only releases a new name once every couple years (rarely as much as four), it releases service packs (now called builds) more often (I counted twenty-four releases since 1995, ignoring NT, 2000, and XP Professional x64).  Plus it releases bugfixes every month and occasionally between. 

In the last six years, @burt has released two named versions:  Frozen and Phoenix (Windows had 8.1 and 10 in the same period).  Four service pack level versions (Frozen, Phoenix 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2).  Less than twenty point versions (compare to seventy or so from Microsoft Windows).  I suppose the next level would be to count commits as the equivalent of the individual packages that get installed in the monthly rollup for Microsoft Windows.  I don't know the magnitude of that. 

Apple iOS has eight named releases in the last six years.  And twenty-five minor releases.  I don't know how many point releases, but it's had more minor releases than Phoenix has had point releases.  It's had four point releases in the last month. 

If fewest version updates is your criterion for evaluating stability, community edition (Frozen/Phoenix) is more stable than Windows or iOS.  Of course, one of the problems is that with Windows/iOS, most updates happen in the background whereas Phoenix is still updated manually.  So with Phoenix one is more aware of the updates than with the operating systems. 

Always back up before making changes.

@ecartz

While what you have said is mostly true (you forgot the Gold release), there is a difference between an operating system and an e-commerce app.

*IF* a shop owner makes NO alterations to their shop, other than the addition of (properly coded) add-ons, renaming and editing modules, and/or changes to user.css, one could upgrade a shop by copying a newer version of the code to their server. Otherwise, every single code upgrade must be examined on a file by file, line by line basis.

As it is now, I've started building a shop with Phoenix. Yes, I've made some core edits. So, to keep current, I can't just download the latest version, and overwrite what I've been working on. I have to download, examine, and apply each release individually, one by one. This can seriously slow down the development of a new site!

Eventually, as the core code becomes even more modular, and hooks are better used, an in-place upgrade may be possible, Until then, unless we want all of our shops to look and operate the same, it's still a dream.

M

2 hours ago, ArtcoInc said:

So, to keep current, I can't just download the latest version, and overwrite what I've been working on.

Same here, and I think that was the point I was driving at. 

Windows updates my operating system as I sleep and I wake to a log on screen, complete with a pop up balloon to notify me that updates were made.

osCommerce is a different animal and updates have to be done manually...and very carefully!...by the shopowner, if they've installed any add-ons or made edits to core code.  I expect most of us do that.

I can appreciate releasing an update for a bug-fix or something on occasion, but a new install of Phoenix released every other weekend? 

That's ridiculous!

It's screams...do nothing and just sit and wait until they're finished.  Even in your own post, @peterpil19, you alluded to ANOTHER new version that is currently available to the 'club' and another one after THAT is in progress!  At this rate, I'll never end up trying it out.  Be done with it already!

- Andrea

@puggybelle

I do not follow your logic at all.

@burt has made point releases available in between major releases. Point releases are minor releases. His making them publicly available in between more major releases is a benefit, not a detriment to shop owners. You can choose to ignore these point releases and wait for more major releases instead i.e. 1.03.0, when that arrives some time in the future.  Whether you choose to keep your store updated for each point release or not is completely up to you. I'm not sure what you are asking here - for burt to stop making point releases available and instead only the major releases? Why, when you get both! The power is in your hands to choose whether you update your store as updates are available, or wait until a bigger release.

@kgtee 

That is not exactly accurate, but I ought to have explained it better.  Supporters get early access to new point releases for e.g testing purposes. Again, up to shop owners if they wish to become supporters and get early access. It is optional, not mandatory.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Most users I think do not wish to become a slave to a constant upgrade merry go round. As before most will just pick a point in time and install it, make the mods they need to make a usable working live shop and stick with it.

It's wonderfull news that supporters are getting aditional code and early access to new versons. I'm sure they are very happy with this.

However I don't see the point of you constantly posting this out side the closed club! It's of no use to anyone who is not part of the closed club. If they are part of the club then they will already know about it. osC forum has never been a place for hard selling! I'm sure people can make desisions without it beeing constantly pushed into their faces.

This second hand cars sales (chugging) approach is not a nice look for osC  😊 but if that's the route chosen then so be it.

27 minutes ago, René H4 said:

@peterpil19, how is the sales in the second hand car business?

LOL 😂

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

I provide a fairly regular, small updates;

With actual step by step instructions on exactly what to do to perform the update;

• upload X
  • uninstall Y
  • delete Z

I also provide a zip file of just the changes. 
I also link to diff (comparison) files.  
I also provide direct SQL as and when needed.

With a large update, say once a year...you'd get none of that.  

This way...you have a choice;

You can perform the small updates as they come out, or you can ignore them and just do a large update when that comes out. 

It makes no sense, to me, that anyone would be upset by having more choice.  

Archived