• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Documentation Initiative

Dan Cole

'Nothing ventured, nothing gained' --- In order to achieve, you need to act and take risks.

I think we can all agree that the existing documentation is a bit dated.  A lot has changed since it was written and it is in bad need of an update.  Doing so will no doubt require a ton of work but if we crowd source it, I'm sure we can come up with something useful for the entire community.  If you want to help out and give something back this is your chance.   It's an opportunity for everyone to get involved.

I think a good place to start would be to document what each of the menu options, on the admin side, does.  As a start and example, here is what Fredi Rubinshtein and I came up with.    

Navigation Bar and the NavBar Modules

If you agree that something along this line in needed and would like to help out just pick a menu item and post here which item you've decided to tackle.  We don't want to duplicate the effort.  I'll try to keep track of who is doing what and create a bit of an index.

For those tackling a menu item please try to follow the example and provide a brief explanation, with screen shots of the steps involved and what they do.  It would be nice if we ended up with a document that looked as if it was part of a single effort.

Let's do this.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jack I'm aware of that and just need the time to have another look at what Robert @Heatherbell has done.  It'll be nice to have some documentation to refer users to and refine as we go forward.

Dan

4 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

It'll be nice to have some documentation to refer users to

I'm on the final furlong - a couple more TOOLS=> to do - just been updating for 1.0.3.0 - needs more ongoing checking for errors/omissions to correct before making it available to Gary in any format to suit his purpose if he requests it.

3 minutes ago, Heatherbell said:

Please see FB for email for providing feedback though you should be able to find it on the wiki.

I know where it is and will have another read when I get some time.   Sounds like  you're a lot further along now.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, valquiria23 said:

I'm not good at documenting in English, but I could help translate to Spanish if it's of interest.

If you really want to help, that shouldn't be a problem....why don't you write it up in Spanish, do the screen shots etc and we'll get someone to convert it to English?

Dan

3 minutes ago, valquiria23 said:

Pass me what you advanced and I will do some missing part.
Note that my screenshots are not going to work since my test site is in Spanish.

If you agree that something along this line in needed and would like to help out just pick a menu item and post here which item you've decided to tackle.  We don't want to duplicate the effort.  I'll try to keep track of who is doing what and create a bit of an index.

Maybe header tags? or header modules. Just let me know what you select....regarding the screen shots maybe a fresh English install would work....you probably want a blank slate to work with anyway.

Dan

9 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

regarding the screen shots maybe a fresh English install would work

Translating from English to Spanish so that someone later translates it into English seems like an inesan job.

The best thing will be that when you have the final documentation in English, send it to me so I make a Spanish version.

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

1 minute ago, valquiria23 said:

The best thing will be that when you have the final documentation in English, send it to me so I make a Spanish version.

Yeah....but that's not going to happen.  I have no intentions or documenting it myself....I wanted to set things up so others can get involved and have an opportunity to advance osC.  Since you'd be just doing it once and someone else will translate it, it should be no different than someone doing it in English and you translating it to Spanish.   Same effort and perhaps insanity.   If you're not interest...no problem.

Dan

Would it not be better to simply take the existing fully formated Official document and simply update it? change pics as required Update sections as require would save a lot of time I wold think. I have an openoffice copy if it's of any use. Much of the admin and shopside is still the same as far as using the software.

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

Would it not be better to simply take the existing fully formated Official document and simply update it? change pics as required Update sections as require would save a lot of time I wold think. I have an openoffice copy if it's of any use. Much of the admin and shopside is still the same as far as using the software.

Absolutely.  If you're going to tackle a section that is included in the existing documentation then by all means use that as a starting point. We don't want to reinvent the wheel, we're just going to improve it.    The biggest challenge will be the many modules and options that have been introduced since the documentation was originally developed.  Those are probably the areas that require the most effort and where the greatest need exists.

Dan

Archived