• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contact us email marked as spam - other emails not

Rosyweb

Hello all, 

so the problem is that the emails generated from the contact form are ending up in peoples spam folders, but the order emails direct from the system are getting through fine.  

I'm trying to work out why the filters differentiate these emails and if there is anything I can do to stop this.  Has anyone else come across this problem?   I wondered if it is because the contact form emails have a return path that is from the person filling in the form - rather than the return path being the website the email originates from?  

I'm using v2.3.4.1 CE   but its not the version that is the problem its the email headers I guess.   Many thanks

Hi JcMagpie

This was on a test contact email from me.  So not spam content.  

I have been checking the headers.  So something in the header is different, of course the reply to - return path would be, as this is replaced by the person's email address who filled in the form.  

But I'm not so sure what I'm looking for as there is so much info in the header.   Perhaps it is simply the return path being different that spams this?

1 hour ago, Rosyweb said:

emails generated from the contact form are ending up in peoples spam folders

confused so is it just your test mail or are customers using contact us going into your spam folder?

either way check with your host to see if any filter changes have been made at server level. Also check your mail server, if people have been spamming your contact us form then it may have got you black listed.

No short cut's on this you have to secure all form from this type of abuse. how is up to you try google recaptcha, add-on in the apps store

or jack's

or both.

Thanks JcMagpie.   Yes it goes straight into spam whether its genuine or not (even when I fill it in) and yes spam does come through it so it probably has simply been blacklisted as you suggest.  Yes I think the captcha is the only answer.  Thanks!

Archived