• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

captcha or recaptcha

zpupster

hello support,

We are using:    Installed Version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1 CE

our welcome emails were getting bounced back.

we contacted our host . 

The bouce-back notification is legitimate. Your messages have been reported as spam by users and thus our outbound filter is blocking them. I have reviewed your website and your contact forms are not protected by CAPTCHA, thus are perfect target for crawlers/bots to send unsolicited messages and subscribe random mail addresses to your service.

You would need to adjust all of your contact forms to include a CAPTCH, as well as go through the subscribed users and remove non-legitimate ones. After that we can remove the address from the blacklist.

OK so we installed Honey Pot Captcha https://apps.oscommerce.com/t3rEO&honey-pot

contacted support again they responded:

I am afraid the HoneyPot plugin would not be sufficient to combat spam bots. The plugin embeds custom CSS fields that should be read and filled out by crawlers, however, this is only if they even fetch the CSS and alter it. You would need to implement a proper CAPTCHA for your contact forms.

Let us know once this has been done, so that we can review and remove the mailbox from the blacklist.

What would be the recommended Captcha add on to use so we can get removed from blacklist????????

TY

12 hours ago, zpupster said:

What would be the recommended Captcha add on to use so we can get removed from blacklist????????

Your host is giving you incorrect information regarding Honeypot. But you may be misunderstanding what is going on. Once you are blacklisted by some other server, nothing you do on the site will remove that. You have to fix the reason for the blacklist and then request your removal from the blacklist. Or wait a few days since many servers will drop the blacklisting if no further spam is received from your site.

There are other forms on the site that allow spam to be sent and your host vaguely refers to this with "all of your contact forms". They can tell where the spam is being sent from, assuming they are a decent host, and should be able to tell you exactly where it is coming from. It may not even be a form on the site if you are using forwarders for your email accounts.

So you can apply all of the captchas to your contact us page and still have the problem. But for Honeypot, try sending an email from your contact us page with a url and/or email address and if it doesn't stop it, then you do not have the settings set correctly.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@SCH_001Thanks for pointing that out. If that is what the op meant by blacklisting then that is a little different. Any host will block the emails of an account if that account is sending out spam emails since that will affect other sites on the server. Usually all one needs to do is show the host that a change has been made to prevent the spam. The op's host, from the way I read the reply, is just refusing the fix based on their, incorrect, evaluation of the script instead of acceptable it as fixed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I recently had this problem with outgoing welcome emails. All other emails generated by the store were sending fine. They were being reported as spam by the outgoing server filter. The emails were being prevented from being sent by my hosts 'spam expert' system. When I contacted the hosts I was told to read the CAN-SPAM regulations. I also needed to addd an unsubscribe link to every email being sent out by the store apparently, and also some kind of recaptcha. When I pointed out that the emails were not marketing emails but transactional emails and that they were part of the sales process and could not be unsubscribed from, and they were not part of the regulations my hosts went quiet on me and said they would look into it.

In the end I changed the email title line from the original 'Welcome to', to something different and all seems to be working again, although I expect this is something to do with the hosts doing something as they were in the wrong but would not admit it. It could be worth changing the text of the email just to see.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Steve,

I am using siteground. Who was your host??I am having difficulty getting the google captcha to work.

my contact_us.php page works fine as an outgoing mail as you stated.

I can not find a captcha addon for 2341 cE, 24, and siteground does not like honeypot captcha.

TY

32 minutes ago, zpupster said:

I tried this--  it did not work for me I will try again

I have it running on CE edge, frozen and Phoenix 1.0.2.2 so it will work. Be carfull to follow all the instru ctions, also you need a google account to get your keys as it will not work without them.

If you get stuck either post on support thread or here with exact vesion your running and what is not working about it. Also any info in your error logs

TY Everyone ,

It is working now.  

One problem we have, our store has a buybacks form(which is more or less a duplicate of the contact_us.php form).

I think I can handle adding to the module and configure it, but you never know.

Thanks again for all the support you gave me.