14steve14

Would you upgrade your store to the latest Phoenix

This is just a simple sort of question. If you are using oscommerce in any form from 2.2 or 2.3.1 up to latest Edge or Frozen version, would you upgrade to the latest Phoenix version?  If not why not? Be honest. I am not here to push one version over another, just trying to find out store owners reasons for either upgrading or not upgrading.

If you would not upgrade why not?

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

I will answer my own question first. This is my thoughts on why I wan to upgrade my store.

I have Phoenix as a test site that I am working on when time and finances allows. Over the years I have adapted and altered a version of Edge that is currently my live site.  My current live site runs happily on php5.6 and apart from the odd blip every now and again it works faultlessly and does what it is supposed to do. It has many addons added, and some are currently not available to work on Phoenix, but I am looking for others. My biggest worry when finally updating the site is that the database update may have to carried out by someone that knows more than I do and that may cost a few pounds.

My reasons for wanting to upgrade the current site is because the software used to run the site have moved on. PHP versions are faster and more secure. Some are not going to be supported for much longer. Bootstrap4 is so much better than BS3 and it is easier to make small changes to the site. Phoenix gives me more options to make the site as I want it. Its modular so its really easy to add features with only one click and change a few settings. There is no cut and paste coding for now.

I am also a monthly paid up supporter of Phoenix because I want to see the project move forward and as a business I understand that code time costs money and it should not be expected that someone gives their time for free so I can earn money. Some of my profits should go back to help the coders improve what I am using for free. In the few months since Phoenix was released so much has been done and lots of new features are available.

If I had a bricks and mortar store I would need to pay to keep the structure of the store clean, tidy and updated and its the same with my website. It needs to be up to date and it needs to make the whole shopping experience good for my customers.

2 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

My biggest worry when finally updating the site is that the database update may have to carried out by someone that knows more than I do and that may cost a few pounds.

Don't worry - we did worry needlessly before doing it ourselves - you can do it! 👍

I will be upgrading but my current site has not yet officially launched. Once it is live I will start work on converting it to Phoenix but as it is not primarily a shop it will take a little time to do.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 14steve14 said:

This is just a simple sort of question. If you are using oscommerce in any form from 2.2 or 2.3.1 up to latest Edge or Frozen version, would you upgrade to the latest Phoenix version?  If not why not? Be honest. I am not here to push one version over another, just trying to find out store owners reasons for either upgrading or not upgrading.

Hi Steve,

Like you I have a live shop based on 2.3.4BS which is heavily modified with altered modules, core and database modifications (Header Tags SEO, Qt Pro, Price Break per Qty, Newsdesk, Big Image, itemCondition, availability management, etc) and moving to Phoenix starting from scratch is too much work.
Before I had started from scratch with new v2.3.4BS and I had imported all my previous osc v2.2 modules and core changes but with Phoenix it seems there is less work to upgrade my current script to fit with it.

I made the transition to PHP 7.2 last week, the catalog part is done, I still have the admin part to do now.
Transition to Bootstrap 4.x dosen't seem to me a priority knowing that I already modified Bootstrap 3 to integrate the (missing) MS grid size.

If you need help to do the same, I can help you. 

Edited by milerwan

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

1 hour ago, 14steve14 said:

I started using osC over 18 years ago, paid a deloper to set up the sites and he did a wonderful job and I was very happy with results. He based the sites on 2.2a which at the time was the current version. Over the 15-16 years they ran all he ever did was a couple of security patches. He never once insisted i change to a newer version and as I had no problems with the sites I never did.

I only took the desision to move to edge a few years ago based on some poor advice from an old host. They insisted PHP5.6 would no longer be available. Moved to new host with edge and new host says you can use 5.6 as long as you like, it's up to you.

All sites now on Edge with BS3 and they will be staying on this as they are running fine are stabel and have been modified to give me all the functonality I had in my 2.2a sites.

Will i change again? not sure maybe if and when V3.O comes out but no rush.

3 hours ago, milerwan said:

moving to Phoenix starting from scratch is too much work.

Amen.  That's my first answer.

My website originated in 2005 with osC 2.2 MS2.  And if it weren't for some pesky emails from Google telling me:  Your pages are not mobile friendly

I'd still be on 2.2  The Google emails gave me something to think about...and worry about...but, it was the loss of a long-time job in 2018 that gave me the time and opportunity to seriously consider upgrading to a responsive version of osCommerce.  So, I did.  I think it's Edge, but I am not at all sure.  The package I installed simply references 2.3.4.1 CE and nothing else. 

And it was a nightmare!  I had ever done anything like it before.  But, I was up for the challenge and I pulled it off.

I also ended up going from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.0 and the speed difference is very noticeable.  Glad that happened, too.

Having to lose a few older contribs along the way broke my heart.  Learning how to navigate the new file structure was a beast, in the beginning.  For the most part, I am very happy with what I have now.

My site is fast.  My site is responsive & mobile-friendly.  My site is modular.  Google loves me.  :)

So...what exactly is the selling point of Phoenix then?  I just don't see one.  Nothing compelling enough to get me to scrap what I have and start over again.

I do think new users should be steered to Phoenix.  But, as a longtime site owner with real customers and real things to pack and ship...

I'm not upgrading unless I absolutely have to.

- Andrea

Hello everyone

I don't have a business, I became an oscommerce fan a 3 years ago when I offered help to a family member to update their broken site of osc 2.2 due to an old version of PHP.
I do it as a hobby in my free time, on the way I learned a lot from SQL, PHP, BS3 and HTML. Much thanks to the help of community users. That is why I believe in the need to share and help each other.

With much effort and thanks to the help of all of you, last year I finished an EDGE site that works flawlessly in PHP 5.6 and 7.0. My hosting told me that it has no plans to remove version 5.6. That is why I am testing a new FROZEN site that is already mature and has several addons in the market.

Phoenix looks great, but I need more information to make a decision to see if I change to Phoenix or continue with Frozen.

Best regards

Valqui

Running Old EDGE, setting up a new Frozen site with many nice addons available on the market and waiting to be admitted to Phoenix club!

Community Oscommerce fan :heart:

5 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

My biggest worry when finally updating the site is that the database update

Do not worry Steve  , if I did it, you could also do it !!!

Running Old EDGE, setting up a new Frozen site with many nice addons available on the market and waiting to be admitted to Phoenix club!

Community Oscommerce fan :heart:

5 hours ago, milerwan said:

1 hour ago, puggybelle said:

Amen.  That's my first answer.

I do disagree with  these statements.  I have a site based on frozen, and it will do until my test environment using Phoenix is up and running.  Phoenix is easier to use in terms of its modular format.  The latest Product_info layout confirms this.  The sitewide hook system is also very flexible.  I've  just added custom text based upon the payment method selected by the customer, without modifying the core files.  Just two additional files define the hook, and the text inserted just where I need it. (I'm not a professional programmer)

I'm having to upgrade old addons which were based on BS3, but that is just necessary with any upgrade.

I don't expect to have a live Phoenix site running until mid-next year, but in the meantime I'll develop my knowledge of Phoenix and redesign my site and make it very flexible to meet the changing needs for the future.

osC BS gold live - osC CE in development (awesome)

@14steve14  

I have been updating shop from own cart script ---> oscommerce 2.1---> 2.2 ( which is heavily modified with altered modules, core and database modifications)  ---> 2.3 --->  2.3 GOLD ---> 2.3 EDGE ---> 2.3 FROZEN .. and I am planning to go for latest Phoenix version ( already on server for testing and updating) when the sales season end  hopeful on April/May ...  
between the updating I lost some
modules because they are done by someone who have never be on the forum any more and are not needed at moment .. 

On 10/7/2019 at 3:22 PM, milerwan said:

it was the easiest thing I have done .. check this 

as @Mikepo said 

On 10/7/2019 at 9:13 PM, Mikepo said:

Phoenix is easier to use in terms of its modular format The latest Product_info layout confirms this.  The sitewide hook system is also very flexible.  

You need time on the begin and spend some money.. but after that  it will be so easy on the future. after more people making, updating add-ons to sitewide hook system.
Phoenix is the future.. @burt has done really good work and still doing and updating it  (so easy to update from A to Z)... when everyone know that oscommerce become slowly dead. 

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

@Mikepo, @Omar_one, @Heatherbell, @peterpil19,

On 10/7/2019 at 2:22 PM, milerwan said:

Like you I have a live shop based on 2.3.4BS which is heavily modified with altered modules, core and database modifications (Header Tags SEO, Qt Pro, Price Break per Qty, Newsdesk, Big Image, itemCondition, availability management, etc) and moving to Phoenix starting from scratch is too much work.

What I mean is too much work to take a new copy of Phoenix and add all my previous installed modules and modifications.

In my case (and maybe for some of us), it is faster to adapt the new features of Phoenix (new files) to old sites responsive (2.3.4BS or CE).
NB: It depends on the level of modification of the site of each member.

At no time did I say that we should not migrate to Phoenix code... :sleep:

8 hours ago, Omar_one said:

Phoenix is the future.. @burt has done really good work and still doing and updating it  (so easy to update from A to Z)... when everyone know that oscommerce become slowly dead. 

Sure Phoenix's code is the future and we are grateful to @burt for his immense work.
Without him Oscommerce CMS would be of the past.

Edited by milerwan

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

@JcMagpie Thanks.

@puggybelle Thanks.

@milerwan Thanks.

@Mikepo Thanks.

@Omar_one  Thanks.

This is what this thread is here for. Its good to see that others have the same sort of thought processes that I do.

I fully understand about the time and investment in the old sites we all have, and its hard to give up something that is working fine if it can be altered slightly to improve it. Do we all need to upgrade I am not sure. I use an upgrade as a time to install the latest version of addons if there is one, and a time for a bit of housekeeping. Change the look, add a few more bits and its ready to last a few more years.

What I dont want to do is to see oscommerce die. Its a great bit of software that in many ways is better and easier to use than many of the other offerings.