• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sub Category not showing in clean install of Phoenix v1.0.2.5

I can't seem to to get any Sub Category to show in a clean install of Phoenix. Anyone else notice this?

Under Fruit I added a "test" category with "test" product and I can't see it. I have Sub Category List  enabled in the Module - content.

Any suggestions whats going on?

Steve

image.thumb.png.b166746d4313effbe190e553df604810.png

image.thumb.png.6cc6fdd37429a09205de7ebd1e6b7146.png

image.thumb.png.433a8f24b7069e5df32cd193136384bc.png

image.thumb.png.09f736151594d58f4a590f321fd6d8c8.png

Hi,

Sub-categories (index_nested) only appear if your products are at the end of the category tree not before. Otherwise index_products appears instead.

So if you moved Lemon, Oranges, Pears etc. into the test folder, you should see your sub-category test  appear when you click on fruit.

Also the box in column-left can be modified to display sub-categories. You need to edit the code for it, there is a line which talks about how deep to show categories. Just increase it from 1 to a number which reflects the depth of your category structure.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

There is an admin dashboard module you can install to check your catalogue structure for exactly this kind of problem. It's present in many stores with large trees and it's not easy for an admin to notice.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/05BV7&catalogue-hierarchy-check-dashboard-modu

If you want to have mixed categories and products, you'll need an extra subcategory listing module in modules/content/index_products

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Before you do anything, recommend you work out what category structure you actually need.

That will determine whether you need a solution above for products mid-category or can live with the default behaviour.

Peter

CE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Support the Project, go PRO and get access to certified add ons

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Hello, we are using CE Phoenix 1.0.2.0 and having a similar issue, but not quite the same.

We have multiple subcategories within a category. There are no rouge products, they're all in categories or subcategories. Used BrockleyJohn's suggestion of the dashboard module, found one rouge product, deleted it, no affect.

When we click on a parent category, say "Can Liners" we only see one subcategory. There's several subcategories loaded on the admin side. Checked the database records for parent/sub relationships and don't see any issues there.

Changing the sort order around will change the subcategory displayed, but, still only one sub-cat is displayed. 

Looked in index.php for peterpil19's suggestion on changing the depth to something greater than '1' but not quite sure how to proceed:

// the following cPath references come from application_top.php
  $category_depth = 'top';
  if (isset($cPath) && tep_not_null($cPath)) {
    $categories_products_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from products_to_categories where categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "'");
    $categories_products = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_products_query);
    if ($categories_products['total'] > 0) {
      $category_depth = 'products'; // display products
    } else {
      $category_parent_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as total from categories where parent_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "'");
      $category_parent = tep_db_fetch_array($category_parent_query);
      if ($category_parent['total'] > 0) {
        $category_depth = 'nested'; // navigate through the categories
      } else {
        $category_depth = 'products'; // category has no products, but display the 'no products' message
      }
    }
  }

Any ideas? Many thanks, in advance!
Colin Stewart

assuming your using stock cats box go to

public_html/includes/modules/boxes/bm_categories.php

and change 39

$OSCOM_CategoryTree->setMaximumLevel(1);

to the number you require, $OSCOM_CategoryTree->setMaximumLevel(3);

and you get..... that's it. or install a beter cats add-on.

image.png.b6103c1ac0233d727630a18aa9312a81.png

like flyout cats, many options.

image.png.90c81b64955d7bda9f4268cb0c245a2c.png

The standard delivered module with display all the next level categories when you go to a category. With no code changes.

It sounds like that's not happening for you. Please confirm @stefan1959

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Correction John is right if you have the correct modules turned on the sub cats will show on index

image.png.e52143d1c4f569333fd7e64e5d8a0939.png

this shows subcats on index

image.thumb.png.09074e9f717c77a17e633c60023ee42e.png

but it will not show the subcats in the cats box unless you make the core edit then you get

image.png.9ce8d2ee9fb6c2d449a43bc1f0037647.png

Now this is fine on a pc but it will not work on mobile phone! I still only get top level showing in box on mobile view.

I  don't see that it matters if the menu options are there or not since you have to scroll down past the images to get to them. Who's going to do that?

12 hours ago, BrockleyJohn said:

don't see that it matters if the menu options are there or not since you have to scroll down past the images to get to them

🙂 I beg to differ John on my site cats come first, also cats should expand to show subs as without that customer has no idea he has to scroll down to see results of press! Would be diferent if when you press a cat  the screen scrolled auto to new image  but thats not how it works at the moment, stock install on mobile press cat in box and you just get a page refresh back to top of page? but never mind OP is happy so all good.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:27 AM, JcMagpie said:

assuming your using stock cats box go to

public_html/includes/modules/boxes/bm_categories.php

and change 39

$OSCOM_CategoryTree->setMaximumLevel(1);

to the number you require, $OSCOM_CategoryTree->setMaximumLevel(3);

and you get..... that's it. or install a beter cats add-on.

Thx, how did you get the sub-menu move to the right?

That screenshot you posted, @JcMagpie......

cats.JPG.28077f0dce76088d885b79d50e14491b.JPG

Reminds me of something I had in my old 2.2 site called Dynamenu.

Is it responsive?  Does that come with the install of Phoenix or is it a contrib available in the apps marketplace? 

- Andrea

It's based on superfish, It is responsive but not perfect, I don't know of any deep cat capable responsive display. No it's not on the apps as it's just not a perfect solution. You can make it by using this and making it a box,

or if you just wish to test it I can pm you the box version I'm using.

or use a header cat

But as I said I'm not aware of anyting that is a perfect solution for cat display if you have deep cat's for mobile view.

Archived