• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

admin - installing modules

nsf43

In admin mode, upper right, there are messages "Install module(nn). 

Is one supposed to add all those modules, automatically?  There is no indication of what is being installed.  Having gotten almost to the point of going "live", I am a little nervous about adding these?  Please advise.

Thanks in advance!! Nancy

Depends on what page in admin? There are hundreds of modules but you don't necessarily need them. Click install Modules button where you see it and a list of modules that are available will show.

E.g. from admin go to Modules=> Navbar Modules and then click Install Modules - the number you see in the button is the number of modules available and which will appear when you click the buttom. Click on a module in the list and then click Install Module button to install.

Don't randomly install modules unless you you know you want or need them.

Perform a test check in your shop as that's the only really important thing to confirm is working and go from there.

Come back if you need more help.

Thanks! I'm still not sure I will know which ones to choose since I am so new to this project. 

BTW, I'm in US.  While I am aware of spelling differences between our versions of English (finalise and finalize), the grammar in some of the messages is incorrect.  I majored in Math and English (the novel I'm reading has so many errors, it makes me crazy).  If anyone cares, the grammar in my shop will be correct once I am officially live. (Should anyone want to copy).

Also, is there anything special to do besides changing PayPal over to "live" in order to BE live?

@nsf43
If all you have to worry about is grammar, you're doing alright! You haven't said what version you are running - hopefully the latest Phoenix - you should be.
Like I already said - install a module if and when you need it - get the shop running and you will see what you need for it to work 'just' how you want it but working is all you need to worry about first.
If you have installed your site to a live server, you are already live unless you have password protected your entire site whilst developing.
Once your Paypal is active do a test purchase to check your site, as we said before.

21 minutes ago, nsf43 said:

Thanks! I'm still not sure I will know which ones to choose since I am so new to this project. 

It's quite simple, you have 2 types of modules

1) functionality--- payment , zones, tax ,shipping  These you need to pick what you need for your shop to function in the way you requires it.

2) display-- mostly content  again main ones are already on. The others again depends on the look you need for your shop. In content you can just install and see what you like. If you like it keep it if not just turn it off as you may change your mind.

the only documentation is for the official software but much of it is still relavent, most of admin is still the same.

https://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3

oh and yes don't bother telling me my spelling and grammer sucks 😊 I know.

Thx again...it is not protected. And yes, latest Phoenix.  I am alternating between making sure the colors are right, adding products, and verifying text.  I've done a couple of fake purchases, but still have Paypal in Sandbox mode.  I am sure I will find things I missed as soon as I go Live ;). That was always the case with customers in the old days....

Here you are...I know some may be direct quotes. However, just because the original author uses poor grammar, there is no need to propagate bad habits.  

1) For the dates: "We will be closed..." use either ordinals or cardinals, no mixing

We will be closed from the 18th of December, 2019 to the 7th of January, 2020 or We will be closed from December 18, 2019 to January 7, 2020

2) You can still use the website but orders cannot be placed until we reopen in the new year.

3) May not matter, but there is no Area Code in the phone number

4) Conflicting dates for "opening"

5) Place any message you want, here (remove "to" and add comma)

6) We are closed. (add period)

In Product Info

1. It costs 5x as much to attract a new customer than it costs to keep an existing one. (Source: seohosting.com) Tweet this Stat!

2. 68% of lost customers leave brands because they are upset with the treatment they have received

3. On average, loyal customers are worth up to 10 times as much as the cost of their first purchase.

4. 48% of customers who had a negative experience told  at least 10 or more others.

6. On Twitter, over 80% of customer service related tweets are negative or critical of the brand in question, a. A large

9. 68% of  site viewers quit because of the attitude of indifference toward the customer

10. It's 6-7 times more expensive to acquire a new customer than it is to keep a current one. This is redundant. Use either this one or #1. Try not to add confusion to the mix. (IBM will tell you this as well)

11. 3 in 5 Americans (59%) Either say 59%, or 3 in 5, not both because 3 in 5 is 60%.  

12. 70% of buying experiences are based on how the customer feels they are   either "the customers feel they", or "the customer feels he/she feels"

13. Customers who engage with companies over social media spend 20 -40% more money with those companies than other customers spend.

14. may causes unnecessary

You need to  Strike a happy medium and roll out updates only when absolutely required ( such as bug fixes ). New features should be planed in planned updates say every 6 or 12 months.

If your you are rolling out updates every week,  then many customers may just give up and not install them which and that defeats the whole purpose of doing the update.

Archived