14steve14

Problems with new customer email being marked as SPAM

I am having a bit of a problem where all my 'New Customer' emails are being returned and marked as spam. I have not altered the email from that as in the standard code. The problem started early last week. My hosts have apparently changed nothing and I have restored a copy of the website before this point.

The hosts are suggesting that something in a standard email does not comply with CAN_SPAM requirements. Has anyone else had similar problems as I can see nothing really different between my older edge version of the emails and the latest Phoenix ones.

If I send the text of the email that has been bounced back to a different email address using the same email as the store sends from within my hosting account the email is received fine.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Posted (edited)

have a look at the headers sent in old vs new mails, I had same issue years ago but can't remember much beyond that something was added or missing in there

my ms2.2 site includes "X-Mailer: osCommerce Mailer" whereas new test site does not
I "think" that had something to do with it

Edited by cigarsforless

Jim Bullen - President

The Cigar Hut Group of Companies

Installed add-ons: (that now need to be upgraded to OSC CE Phoenix)

PWA, MVS, Easy Populate, Dynamic Sitemap, Featured Products, MVS Order Editor, MVS Shipping Estimator, Google XML Sitemap, About Us, Ad Tracker, Address Enhancer, Also Purchased, Backorders, Category Descriptions, Dynamic Meta Tags, Contact Us Email Subjects, Country state Selector, Extra Address Line, Order Number in Email Subject, OSC Affiliate, Product Extra Fields, Review Approval System, Reviews in Product Display, Sold Out, Sold Out (but Displayed), Ultimate SEO URL's, Updated Spiders, Welcome Email Password, Pending Order Email, Who's Online Enhancement, CCGV, Easy Discounts, Customer Comments, Request a Review, Sales Report, plus many many more!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 14steve14 said:

does not comply with CAN_SPAM requirements

That has been around for some time and I'm not aware of any new restrictions in 2019? maybe other's do. So if you have not changed your email setup (default text) and your not pushing out marketing emails then nothing should have changed.

Unless you host has started using a new spam filter on the mail server.

feel free to send a test email to one of the test site and will see if it gets flaged as spam.

Edited by JcMagpie

Just had a quick look and don't see any new bit's for the UK.

Email marketing and text messages

You’re only allowed to send marketing emails to individual customers if they’ve given you permission.

Emails or text messages must clearly indicate:

• who you are
  • that you’re selling something
  • what the promotions are, and any conditions

Check that you are not sending emails to anyone who’s asked not to receive them, using the Email Preference Service.

If you buy or rent a mailing list, ask the supplier if you have the right to use it for email marketing.

Every marketing email you send must give the person the ability to opt out of (or ‘unsubscribe from’) further emails.

You must tell customers if you add them to a list of people who do not want to be emailed.

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/direct-marketing

50 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

That has been around for some time and I'm not aware of any new restrictions in 2019? maybe other's do. So if you have not changed your email setup (default text) and your not pushing out marketing emails then nothing should have changed.

Unless you host has started using a new spam filter on the mail server.

feel free to send a test email to one of the test site and will see if it gets flaged as spam.

I had not changed anything and just in case something had been changed some how I restored the whole site to a point before I was having the trouble which was only a few days ago.  I did read through a standard new account email and can see nothing that should not be there as it's a transactional email not a marketing email. What I have done is to alter the email title just to see if it would make any difference and it's a case of wait and see. 

This morning no returned emails. Whether its the title change or the fact that my hosts did something their end and cleared the cache on Spam Experts I wont know. What I may do is put the email title back to what it was and see if it does it again. If it does I will know how to correct it.

Posted (edited)

I was having similar issues with customers using hotmail accounts. New account / order emails would get rejected. Emails I sent them directly were fine. Highly frustrating.

So I registered a hotmail account and played around with the email content until they stopped getting rejected.

Removing the name of the store and the 'separator' line which appears at top of emails (needed to be both) worked. I do not know why. It makes no sense to me.

NAME OF STORE
------------------------------------------------------

Edited by peterpil19

PROUDLY PASSIONATE PHOENIX SUPPORTER

Full-time I am a C-suite executive of a large retail company in Australia. In my spare time, I enjoying learning about web-design.

Download the latest version of CE Phoenix from gitHub here

Join the Phoenix Club. Become a Phoenix Supporter.  Gain access to special codes and modules and help the project thrive. Read here

For future reference, another possibility is to check if you've been blacklisted.  https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If you look in the extended headers of an email that you send to yourself, you can get all the IPs through which the email passed. 

A blacklist would have exactly the behavior that you describe.  It will start without warning or changes.  And stop the same way. 

Always backup before making changes.