• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

John Brockley sent some great info on setting this up.

I have installed SourceTree

Set up my github account

Forked Gary's

Cloned in SourceTree so fork is now local.

Been away for a few months and current up to May 28 - Accessibility.

Created a branch at May 28 - Font Awesome

Instruction say - Copy your code into this branch. This records it as a set of changes to Gary's "core".

Don't see how to copy my files with all the changes into SourceTree

image.png.e02a6c9979519e7a70c659de968bd250.png

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Doug

If you want to copy files that are not in a repository into your branch, you just drop them on the local directories in file explorer.

If you want to get files from another branch in a repository you have to pull that branch into your repository and merge it into the branch.

Are you trying to do one of these, or something else I haven't thought of?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Sorry I just read your post a bit better and I see it's the first that you're trying to do.

You should make a branch at the version of Gary's that you downloaded - so if that's what you did, then great.

Then copy your site files over the top of the filestore of your local repo where sourcetree is looking. The exact method will depend on where your modified files are - you could be using ftp or just copying them. It's not something you do in Sourcetree, you just use your normal tools for copying files from one place to another.

For example, if I was working on a site that started with the 'Frozen' release, I would:

1. create a fork of Gary's repo on github
  2. decide where I'm putting the files on my local laptop, eg. a folder called 'dev'
  3. in sourcetree on my laptop, clone the new fork with the repo set to the dev folder - this should download all the files in the master branch from the fork into the dev folder on my laptop
  4. then I create the new branch at the 'Frozen' release

I gather that you've done all this already

My next step would be to use an ftp program to download the whole site into the local dev folder on top of the master files.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Thank you ever so much.

I have forked Gary's master and cloned it into a folder named "CE-Phoenix"

In sourcetree I created a branch at May 28th

So if I am understanding correctly I am to ftp all my files into "CE-Phoenix" folder and overwrite the cloned master files.

2 hours ago, Dnj1964 said:

I have forked Gary's master and cloned it into a folder named "CE-Phoenix"

In sourcetree I created a branch at May 28th

So if I am understanding correctly I am to ftp all my files into "CE-Phoenix" folder and overwrite the cloned master files.

Yes, that's right. After doing that you will see in Sourcetree a lot of Unstaged files that show the differences between your files and Gary's. It's worth going through them to check that they are real differences and not just a bit of formatting - you can discard individual lines and groups of lines, to keep the amount of change to a minimum. This is worth doing because it will reduce the number of conflicts you get in the future. You can use the list as a work list and 'stage' each file when you've checked it.

NB if your github repository is public, it's best not to copy your configure and htaccess files into it. Just make sure that the ones in your site are read-only so you don't overwrite them by mistake sometime. If you have already copied them, discard the changes to these files instead of staging them.

When you've been all through them, check that Sourcetree is pointed at your branch (highlighted on the left as it is in your screenshot) and then do a Commit which saves the changes in your branch in your local repo and do a push which copies the branch to your github fork.

Thank you, I never would have figured that out in a million years.

Gonna give it a shot, hey what could go wrong except everything...

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that.

6 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

Yes, that's right. After doing that you will see in Sourcetree a lot of Unstaged files that show the differences between your files and Gary's. It's worth going through them to check that they are real differences and not just a bit of formatting - you can discard individual lines and groups of lines, to keep the amount of change to a minimum. This is worth doing because it will reduce the number of conflicts you get in the future. You can use the list as a work list and 'stage' each file when you've checked it.

NB if your github repository is public, it's best not to copy your configure and htaccess files into it. Just make sure that the ones in your site are read-only so you don't overwrite them by mistake sometime. If you have already copied them, discard the changes to these files instead of staging them.

When you've been all through them, check that Sourcetree is pointed at your branch (highlighted on the left as it is in your screenshot) and then do a Commit which saves the changes in your branch in your local repo and do a push which copies the branch to your github fork.

• 1 month later...

Made an absolute mess of the first install of source tree.

Reinstalled source tree.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Phoenix and saved to a folder       C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\npppp\2341-EDGE-GOLD\EDGE COMMITS\CE-Phoenix

Now at the clone stage

Have 4 boxes

Default assigned local address is C:\user\xxxx\Docs\CE-Phoenix

https://github.com/dnj1964/CE-Phoenix

C:\user\xxxx\Docs\CE-Phoenix

CE-Phoenix

Local Folder: [Root]

After cloning I will have files in both locations

Downloaded Files:    C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\npppp\2341-EDGE-GOLD\EDGE COMMITS\CE-Phoenix

Folder created during cloning:   C:\user\xxxx\Docs\CE-Phoenix

After creating a branch at May 28th...yes a bit behind!

Which folder do I copy my files too?

Guessing the one created during the cloning process.

Used the other folder in the previous install and after commit no files to change.

Thanks for helping actually figure this out and making it work.

Archived