I'm back....sorry.

Finally I have most of my cosmetic changes made. Then I started building my products.  Stopped for the night.  Next day, I try to return to admin and get the 500 Error. 

3 times this has occurred. Each time, I rebuild and reinstall.  The 500 goes away, until the next day when I want to add more products.

I know a 500 is some sort of DB issue, when the host doesn't know what is wrong. However, I cannot spot the problem.  I do not see anything wrong with the DB or code.  I even built a new DB.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

No the error 500 is just an error to say they could not work out what is wrong so they say error 500! You will need to check your error logs and with host for server error logs.

The HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP) 500 Internal Server Error server error response code indicates that the server encountered an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the request.

This error response is a generic "catch-all" response. Usually, this indicates the server cannot find a better 5xx error code to response. Sometimes, server administrators log error responses like the 500 status code with more details about the request to prevent the error from happening again in the future.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/500

Thanks for the info. I had a 500 several years ago, and it turned out to be a typo in the DB - that must have lodged in my brain...meanwhile, I am still looking.

It would appear that the app hangs trying to return from message_stack.php (admin/includes/classes/) in the function "add_session". Is this meaningful to anyone?

Also, there are no paths in the configure.php files. Is that correct?  I would have thought the "Install" feature would have filled these in.

define('HTTP_SERVER', ''); // eg, http://localhost or - https://localhost should not be NULL for productive servers
  define('HTTPS_SERVER', '');
  define('ENABLE_SSL', false);
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '');
  define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', '');
  define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', '');
  define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'true'); // secure webserver for catalog module
  define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', $DOCUMENT_ROOT); // where your pages are located on the server. if $DOCUMENT_ROOT doesnt suit you, replace with your local path. (eg, /usr/local/apache/htdocs)
  define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN', '/admin/');
  define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT . DIR_WS_ADMIN);
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT . DIR_WS_CATALOG);
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');
  define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

// define our database connection
  define('DB_SERVER', 'localhost'); // eg, localhost - should not be empty for productive servers
  define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'SparkyUser');
  define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'Covington43');
  define('DB_DATABASE', 'SparkyDB');
  define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');
  define('STORE_SESSIONS', '');

You should not post your admin and password on the forum. Change these to keep your site safe.

Yes on install these should contain the correct paths. Without knowing what your running on it's hard to say why it's missing. Talk to your host as it could be somthing is wrong with write permisions on your server.

I see your site is working fine on the front end! did you import the database from your old site? Quite posiable that thiges got mesed up when you did this. All depends on what your importing. Should only bring in some tables not all. bringing in old sessions and config will mess things up.

I understand about not showing passwords, etc. But that is the least of my worries. Once I get this thing running as a whole, I shall fix things like that.

I actually started over from scratch, building the DB. I have started from scratch multiple times now, as I am trying to have a clean build and install.  This time, most of the visuals were good, so I started over on the DB build. There are a couple of odd things, but I can't fix them because of the 500.  So, I have put in debug messages, trying to figure out where it stops.  I posted that above.  If I recopy just admin, the 500 goes away. But then weird things happen in the front end.  It would seem that the admin code is trying to post an error into the "messsage_stack", but I do not know enough about the code to figure out what error has been raised.

Then I noticed the configure.php was not getting filled in on the install. I hand added the database items, and perhaps the error is something like no path for Cookies, or some such.

install sould not be so complicated. If it's still not working after several attempts then clearly somthng is not right with the setup. Only someone with access to your server can help you debug.

If you download a new clean copy of the software and do a stock install and check if both front end and admin install correctly.

Make sure you can access admin and shop side.

Make sure you can add a new product and deleat a product without any errors.

Make sure SSL installs corectly.

Make sure redirects are working correctly.

If all this works then do a backup. Then and only then do a database import and even then I would do one table at a time and only those tables that are required. Do not import tables like sessions admin or configuration as they will mess up the install.

I would guess the most likly cause of the probelms is a bad DB import but I could be wrong.

just done a new install and all worked as expected without any issues using latest Phoenix download.

Your admin configure.php for stock install with SSL should be something like this.

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'https://yoursite.co.uk');
  define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://yoursite.co.uk');
  define('ENABLE_SSL', true);
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
  define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/your admin');
  define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/your admin');
  define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://yoursite.co.uk');
  define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'https://yoursite.co.uk');
  define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'false');
  define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/home/yourpath/public_html/');
  define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/your admin/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_ADMIN', '/your admin/');
  define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/home/yourpath/public_html/your admin/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/');
  define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/yourpath/public_html/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');
  define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');
  define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');
  define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

define('DB_SERVER', 'www.yoursite.co.uk');
  define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'username');
  define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'password');
  define('DB_DATABASE', 'yourdbname_store2');
  define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');
  define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');
  define('CFG_TIME_ZONE', 'Europe/London');

Apologies if this is obvious (but it can easily be overlooked and may be a posibility) -

Do you ftp from your local m/c to the server before your install?

If so (and you normally make changes locally):

The install will update the config. files, the file you listed looks more like a pre-install config.?

Don’t forget, after install you need to download the config. files from the server, they will be different to the local ones.

If you change the admin folder name during the install, change the local folder name before doing anything else.

Well, that was painful!  3 more restarts and I finally saw the problem....when creating my own "admin", somehow a folder was marked unusable.  It was not noticeable until I started comparing every file from my file server to the online version.  And I suppose that is why one of the "configure.php" files did not get updated. 

Anyway, thanks for "listening" to my issues!  Maybe it is smooth sailing from here....

Maybe you will find something to Buy! :)