• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Time for a Bottom Up Rebuild?

cdetdi

18 hours ago, cigarsforless said:

simple to install, but over complicated in some aspects and be prepared to pay thru the nose for each and every must have add on, basics like ups shipping will set you back 79 bucks if you want live rates, same for usps, fed ex the list goes on and on. much rather support osc and tweak some code myself than pay a grand or 2 a year to woocommerce

Every business has startup or running costs and website development for an online business should be included. But if you are just playing at websites then I see your point it can work out expensive. I had a look at opencart and there developers release a free version of a full addon that does not include every feature as a taster. Great idea and one that should be done here, but part of every sale should go back into the pot to help pay for future core code updates and changes.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

agree on both parts, woo would have cost me a small fortune just to get to the point where i could actually determine if it would do the job correctly as suits my business needs, turned out i would have to buy so many modules just to test it out that I gave up that route.

As far as osc having a free version of add-ons and paid for full featured ones, I think that would be a great idea to help fund the project
get the bells for free but pay for the whistles

Jim Bullen - President

The Cigar Hut Group of Companies

Installed add-ons: (that now need to be upgraded to OSC CE Phoenix)

PWA, MVS, Easy Populate, Dynamic Sitemap, Featured Products, MVS Order Editor, MVS Shipping Estimator, Google XML Sitemap, About Us, Ad Tracker, Address Enhancer, Also Purchased, Backorders, Category Descriptions, Dynamic Meta Tags, Contact Us Email Subjects, Country state Selector, Extra Address Line, Order Number in Email Subject, OSC Affiliate, Product Extra Fields, Review Approval System, Reviews in Product Display, Sold Out, Sold Out (but Displayed), Ultimate SEO URL's, Updated Spiders, Welcome Email Password, Pending Order Email, Who's Online Enhancement, CCGV, Easy Discounts, Customer Comments, Request a Review, Sales Report, plus many many more!

Unfortunately this has gotten way off-topic from Paypal, and this is my fault for not properly naming the topic and this showing up in the new topic feeds and users not knowing what this started out as.  Apologies...

Two forks diverged in a git, and I— I took the fork traveled by burt, And that has made all the difference.