• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Install checking for database doesn't do anything

lynne

Hi,

I'm trying to install a test version of a few ecommerce carts for a customer to experiment with, and this cart isn't moving through the auto install process for me.
The database has been created, a user added, the configuration file permissions were changed to 755, the zip file was uploaded and extracted under the publichtml.
I start up the install procedure and everything checks out ok. After I enter the database info, the little orange banner says it's testing the data base and the little yellow gear goes around and around.... and around.... and around endlessly.

I've delete everything and started over 3 times.

Please advise?

@lynne

1) Do NOT use the last 'official' version of osC. It is very much out of date. Instead, use the Community Edition 'Phoenix' (see @burt's signature above).

2) I'm *assuming* you are using your host's server, and not an in-house development server. Although this is a little out of date, here are instructions for installing osC on your host's server ...

HTH

Malcolm

@lynne

How did you create the empty database? Did you use a tool such as PhpMyAdmin? Or, did you use your host's cPanel tools?

Did you make sure that you wrote down the database server name (often 'localhost'), database name, user's name, and user's password correctly?

M

The 1st attempt, I used the phpMyAdmin wizard. The 2nd time, I created it manually via the cPanel's mySQLdatabses tool (which by the way I've used probably at least 50+ times over the past 10 years, so I'm very familiar with it).

I always default to 'localhost', but when that didn't work, I tried the IP address the 3rd time. That didn't work, either.

I'm pretty sure I got the database name, user name and user password correct as it's the same ones I'm using for the live site under a different domain name. But I think after 3 tries with this version, and 3 tries with the previous version, and getting the same result... the problem lies within the install process itself. If I didn't  have the credentials right, the install process should just fail with an error message, not just spin endlessly. That's always been how other installs I've done worked.

Either way... I can't keep burning the candle on this one.

BUt thanks for the quick responses!

Hello,

You have another solution, download the DB via PHPMyAdmin manually

Go in

catalog/includes/configure.php , 
admin/includes/configure.php

fill manually.
It must work if everything is correct

in localhost/..../install/install.php?step=2 you will have your path if you do not know  and to include in configure.php

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Archived