• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

banner_manager - how to.....

In all honesty I feel kind of silly asking this question, but I just can't figure this out.  I'm trying to add a carousel picture to the front of my website and banner_manager appears to be the best way to do it.  In my old site v2.3.4 I modified the index.php and wrote in the code to do it.  I'm trying to modify less this time and keep things more within the lines of OSCommerce.  I'm currently using following versions:

Apache 2.4.41

-PHP version 7.2.21

-MySQL 5.7.27

-OSCOM CE Phoenix v1.0.2.0

My question is really on how does banner_manager work.  I can go into admin/tools/Banner Manager and create a banner here.  I can set a banner group.  But, how do I get the banner to display on my site.  I have looked everywhere within the admin area to find a place to control the banners.  Can't find it.  Or at this point do I need to add it to the pages I want manually?

Thanks for any help

The banner manager is a core module that only helps to create banners but does not display them on the shop pages. You need another content module to display the banners created. Try search the appmarket, there are plenty carousel and slideshow contributions. My particular preference is the Jssor Slider by @Jack_mcs. Beware some of them are not updated for Phoenix and may need some tweaking.

@kgtee  @JcMagpie  thanks to both of you for the response.  makes more sense now.  i thought i was missing something within the admin console.  i'll look at the options for getting them to display or i'll add the banner in myself.  thanks again for the help.

@JcMagpie thanks for the information on the banner add-ons above.  Looks like you are the creator of most of those.  I hope you don't mind me asking you a question about install on JcM Header Carousel Banner V1.0 Phoenix.  I made the changes to the two files and saved them, but i'm struggling with the next instruction of "Now simply install and turn on like any other add-on".  I went through the admin area and I can't find an add-on to install.  Do I install through the admin area or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks

2 hours ago, spoma said:

I made the changes to the two files and saved them

So you made edits to the banner files in admin, ok but...

You also have to install all the new files in the includes folder and then....

Go to admin/Modules/Content and click on install modules in top right corner

pick JcM carousel banner  and install.

Then follow instruction on making a banner in the banner manager and thats it.

@JcMagpie thanks for the help.  makes much more sense now.  somehow when i extracted the files I didn't get the includes files and only got the admin files.  I was looking for additional and didn't see anymore.  I just extracted again and they were there.  thanks for the help and sorry for the question.

Archived