• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

You must have Javascript enabled

Hi all, I have found that some of google and facebook pages say "you must have Javascript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website"

Which is not the best of things to tell the public. How can I resolve this / stop this happening?

On face books it's only as the type of ad from Facebook wanted me to promote my website showing my a sample of what an ad could be...

image.png.4ca062dc2b46ef758364e818fe10ed78.png

You could edit the noscript message and put a paragraph as the beginning with a welcome to the site message, a summary of it or something along those lines...

it's in the language file at the bottom

// noscript helper
define('TEXT_NOSCRIPT', '<p><strong>JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser.</strong></p><p>You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website.<br><a class="alert-link" href="https://www.enable-javascript.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Click here for instructions on enabling javascript in your browser</a>.</p>');

It wouldn't do any harm to tell people what they're missing with js turned off anyway

while you're at it you might want to get rid of "utilize" :shudder:

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

12 minutes ago, burt said:

Turn on Open Graph HT Module.  So many things to explore...

is there one for non-product pages now?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Yep already have Product OpenGraph Module in header tags installed.

Grepwin only found the script in english/modules/content/header/cm_header_noscript.php so now sitting here trying to work out what to change the test too

16 hours ago, BrockleyJohn said:

is there one for non-product pages now?

No, I assumed that the link from FB would be to a product page.

17 minutes ago, SCH_001 said:

Yep already have Product OpenGraph Module in header tags installed.

If you use the OG tester tool ( https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/ ), on a product page it should give a lot of useful data, I just tried the Pears on demo Phoenix;

fb_1.jpg.37c31d93ba77a134628cebe70cbaf98a.jpg

fb-2.jpg.af35e35c72d1a606e69ceb4dde4f6c63.jpg

I suppose that the OG module should be updated for a sitewide use, as someone on FB might link to your homepage or specials page or something.

Ok so the link preview for specials.php is

domain name
business name
Then the you must have java script stuff

and then
og:description  You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website. Click here for instructions on enabling javascript in your browser.

at the top of the report it says
Warnings That Should Be Fixed

Inferred Property The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.

Missing Properties The following required properties are missing: og:url, og:type, og:title, og:image, og:description, fb:app_id

----------------------

So I guess this has to do with your comment of " the OG module should be updated for a sitewide use" is this easy to do?
Is there anything else I can do to stop the Javascript stuff coming up for the og:descrition?

• 5 months later...

What is noscript tag?

As the name implies, we can use noscript to render alternate content. Anything within < noscript>< /noscript> tags will render only when JavaScript is disabled . Users might disable JavaScript for a number of reasons. A handful of people even install browser extensions like NoScript to prevent the browser from running JavaScript. It's better to have the default be non-javascript , and then let a javascript code overwrite with a javascript enabled page.

Archived