• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade Path TO Phoenix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @RonCain I think you should start a new topic on that question. So if you choose to reply please start a new topic

To answer your question yes and no,
best plan is to install Phoenix fresh either on a test domain or another directory of your current domain and set it up how want with what ever add_ons etc you require then use easy populate to export your products from old version and import them in to the new version. Then either learn howto or employ one of the guys around here to copy your customers and orders new and old over to the new install and last step move the new install to where it should be. It's not too hard, I have just done this myself.

12 hours ago, RonCain said:

is there an upgrade path from oscommerce to phoenix

What *exact* version of osCommerce are you on and how mutilated (eg with core code changes and addons) is it.

Straightforward option is to migrate some of your database tables from 2341 to Phoenix.  Many shopowners have done this and it is straightforward if you have a technical proficiency.  If you are not technical my suggestion would be to post at the Commercial Area and get some quotes to have your shop professionally updated;  https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/forum/79-commercial-support-inquiries/

I've seemed to have migrated the database ok , I didn't even has to use a conversion script, but I only moved parts of the database not everything. Products, customers and orders section for eg seemed to have moved OK, and I manually changed config via the portal. Biggest headache are the out of date modules, that I'm still working on with help from the community.

Steve

4 hours ago, stefan1959 said:

I've seemed to have migrated the database ok , I didn't even has to use a conversion script, but I only moved parts of the database not everything. Products, customers and orders section for eg seemed to have moved OK, and I manually changed config via the portal. Biggest headache are the out of date modules, that I'm still working on with help from the community.

Steve

Posting a list of the tables you moved and the steps involved might be of interest to those who will being following in your footsteps.

Dan

On 8/13/2019 at 11:02 PM, Dan Cole said:

Posting a list of the tables you moved and the steps involved might be of interest to those who will being following in your footsteps.

Dan

I didn't really document what I did, it was done on the fly.

I might do a clean install and check the tables that transferred ok.

Watch this space ...

3 hours ago, RonCain said:

It appears that the oscommerce project is stale or dead and the CE is the only way to move forward with oscommerce. Is that conjecture correct? I only have a small shop and may choose to start from scratch.

At this moment, today...Phoenix is the only viable option for a shopowner who wants a php7 ready and responsive version of osCommerce.

I work on Phoenix every day, pushing it forward as best I can and I have a good group of shopowners and developers backing me up and giving ideas and advice.  If I wanted to start up a shop or to update an older osC version, I would utilise Phoenix and become involved in where it goes next.

Thanks Burt that is an answer I can deal with. I have been running an OSCommerce shop for nearly a decade. It is the first product that does nearly everything we need. We use the shop to allow people to order publications which we offer at no charge, something many other products were unable to deal with.

But as time has moved on OSCommerce seems to have become stale with no updates / upgrades in a few years. As you mentioned it lacks responsiveness and PHP7 nativity. We have upgraded our server to PHP 7 about 2 or 3 years ago.

Although OSCommerce still works well the lack of responsiveness causes issues for analytics, SEO etc and we have had some minor security issues with it. We would like to add honeypot to reduce spams.

We would not want to leave and reboot our store if development were continuing on OSCommerce; but we need to be realistic and we need to take action. Phoenix looks great and I notice many OSC people are involved in the project.

Ron

2 minutes ago, RonCain said:

We would like to add honeypot to reduce spams.

Can now be done with ZERO core code changes.

3 minutes ago, RonCain said:

we need to be realistic and we need to take action. Phoenix looks great and I notice many OSC people are involved in the project.

Now is the time to do it then.  Take action, starting today.

41 minutes ago, RonCain said:

is there an installation manual somewhere? 

What exactly are you looking for or having trouble with Ron?  There is no installation manual beside the general documentation that you'll find listed in the documentation tab at the top of the forums.   It's a bit dated by might be enough to get you started.  Otherwise there is lots of information all over the forums on different tasks involved in setting things up.  For Phoenix we're currently talking about what is needed, so your input would be appreciated.  Of course if you're stuck on a particular step, just ask and someone will, I'm sure, help out.

Dan

12 minutes ago, RonCain said:

So same install for a new shop as osc 2.3. Sorry I just love documentation.

As an experienced osC user you shouldn't have any problems but if you do just post back and someone will help you out.   Also if you can make notes of the steps you took, you could also post those back here.  It might be of help to someone following in your footsteps.

Dan

8 hours ago, RonCain said:

thanks Burt and Dan. Will get started on this soon and let you know. Have done a few OSC installs so should not be a problem

The only difference you will find is that Phoenix has the ability to choose whether or not to load the sample data (products/categories etc) as part of the installation procedure.

Hi all:

Installation is complete. Just rebuilding catalog as we have only a few products.

We used to have English, Spanish and French available. I added the new Phoenix compatible Spanish but there appears to be no French. Am I correct?

There seems to be some picture size changes the store pictures I used previously are much to small. Can you let me know the new picture sizes?

Also is there an SQL transact or something to import my users accounts from the 2.3.4.1

7 hours ago, RonCain said:

Also is there an SQL transact or something to import my users accounts from the 2.3.4.1

Use export with phpadmin on the 2.3.4.1, use custom export.

select only the customer tables, plus I  tick the Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION / EVENT / TRIGGER statement

then import into CE. Remember to backup before doing this in case  import causing a problem.

Maybe you can leave off customer_basket and customer_basket_attributes, not sure if they needed.

Steve

P.S. View the .sql before import and look whats getting imported, also I like to make sure the tables ENGINE=InnoDB, if not change it to that.

image.png

Archived