• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New UPS XML Shipping Module available

Question:

I have installed UPS XML.

It seems to work fine.

1) Does this just get a rate or does it create the UPS order?

2) If it creates the UPS order, How do I get the UPS order number?

3) Anybody have anything so I can print the UPS shipping label??

Thanks

Rich

Question:

1) Does this just get a rate or does it create the UPS order?

2) If it creates the UPS order, How do I get the UPS order number?

3) Anybody have anything so I can print the UPS shipping label??

I would like to know as well!!!

Also, I have tried to set up a log so I can verify the info to/from UPS as well as an error log and for the life of me I can not figure it out. I have the log activated in upsxmal.php - my issue is with creating a log file. How ans where do i need to do this?? More how then where actually!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Did I mention I need this information - Yesterday :'(

PS - If you are using the UPS XML contribution can you (or should you) be using the UPS Worldship as well???

Edited by TBMak

I would like to know as well!!!
Read the friggin manual:

The module connects to UPS and retrieves a list of available shipping methods and prices and presents them to the user.

That's it, no more, no less.

Also, I have tried to set up a log so I can verify the info to/from UPS as well as an error log and for the life of me I can not figure it out. I have the log activated in upsxmal.php - my issue is with creating a log file. How ans where do i need to do this?? More how then where actually!
Ever made a new file in something like Notepad (if you are using Windows)? Leave it empty or don't (the server won't mind, it will just append the new information to the file) and save the file as upxml.log, upload, make sure it has permissons to be written to for the webserver (this is important, chmod 777 I think) and that is it.
Did I mention I need this information - Yesterday
Did we mention that the questions on this forum are answered by volunteers? For free, in their own time. Perhaps this kind of remarks tick them off?
PS - If you are using the UPS XML contribution can you (or should you) be using the UPS Worldship as well???
It all depends on your shipping needs I guess. If you use UPS for shipping quotes but decide to deliver it yourself nobody is stopping you (see above for what this module does).

I've installed this module UPSXML v123 and it was working fine out of the box for a few weeks and now I'm getting the dreaded:

Rating and Service 1.0001 0 An unknown error occured while attempting to contact the UPS gateway.

With a cURL error: Error from cURL: Error [6]: Couldn't resolve host 'www.ups.com'

I haven't touched anything! (I did install the HeaderTags contrib and took it down to see if that was the problem but it wasn't)

Is the "couldn't resolve host" error an issue with my server or is it ups?

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen lots of post dealing with this issue but no fix seems to work for me.

Hi All,

We had a serious shipping miscalculation in our cart recently and I'm hoping this module will fix it. We have a heavily modded 2.2ms2 version and are currently using the stock USPS and UPS modules. A customer ordered three cases of cassette albums. Each case weighs about 20 pounds and has to be shipped separately. Instead of calculating the shipping charges for separate boxes, the cart combined the weight as if we were shipping one huge package and undercharged the customer by $20.00. It did this for both UPS and USPS, which is exactly how the modules were designed to function.

On smaller items in our cart, this is perfectly fine and we want the cart to do exactly what it did; but for cases of products, we need something that will know when a product is very large and is shipped separately and will charge the appropriate charges. We don't want to charge flat rates because local customers will end up paying way too much for shipping.

I've looked through some of this thread and I think this module will work, but I need someone to verify that it meets our requirements. We need it to:

1. Have a way to differentiate between large products that are shipped separately and small products that will be shipped together in one package.

2. Charge the appropriate shipping charges based on what is determined in #1.

3. Allow us to choose what UPS methods we want to ship by.

4. Quote shipping charges that include insurance, fuel charges, residential/commercial rates, rural zones, etc.

Also, all of our shipping has been weight based and we would like to continue that way if possible.

As I said before, I think this module will work; but before I spend hours installing and testing the module, I would like someone to verify that it will work for us. Thanks!

Corinne

We have recently installed OSCommerce on our server. We downloaded the latest version available and are running oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113

It appears that there is no UPS Shipping Module installed by default with this version. Or, I'm a complete idiot and can't seem to find it. <_<

Is the contribution discussed in this thread the same shipping module that is outlined and described at the link below under the osCommerce Shipping Module Introduction? Located here:

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...ing_Modules/226

After reading this tutorial/introduction at this link, it made it appear that a UPS module existed by default after installation of oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113. Either we screwed up on the installation, or it is a module that is added after the fact. ?????

It would be helpful if I could know if this thread topic and discussion is related to the correct module to download and install? If not, I would be grateful if someone could steer me to the module described in the link above? Or, let me know if this thread and module is a better one to use with our shopping cart.

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Ted

Edited by webheads

We have recently installed OSCommerce on our server. We downloaded the latest version available and are running oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113

It appears that there is no UPS Shipping Module installed by default with this version. Or, I'm a complete idiot and can't seem to find it. <_<

Is the contribution discussed in this thread the same shipping module that is outlined and described at the link below under the osCommerce Shipping Module Introduction? Located here:

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/A...ing_Modules/226

After reading this tutorial/introduction at this link, it made it appear that a UPS module existed by default after installation of oscommerce-2.2ms2-051113. Either we screwed up on the installation, or it is a module that is added after the fact. ?????

It would be helpful if I could know if this thread topic and discussion is related to the correct module to download and install? If not, I would be grateful if someone could steer me to the module described in the link above? Or, let me know if this thread and module is a better one to use with our shopping cart.

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Ted

Ted,

This thread is actually for the UPS XML module, which is not the original UPS module that comes with the cart. The UPS module should show up in your admin section. You should also be able to see Flat Rate, Per Item, Table Rate, United States Postal Service, and Zone Rates. The default is the Flat Rate. If you want UPS, you need to install it there by first clicking on the UPS line to select it and then clicking on the install button on the right. Hope this helps!

Any comments on my previous post?

Corinne

Ted,

This thread is actually for the UPS XML module, which is not the original UPS module that comes with the cart. The UPS module should show up in your admin section. You should also be able to see Flat Rate, Per Item, Table Rate, United States Postal Service, and Zone Rates. The default is the Flat Rate. If you want UPS, you need to install it there by first clicking on the UPS line to select it and then clicking on the install button on the right. Hope this helps!

Any comments on my previous post?

Corinne

Corinne,

Thanks for your input. I do not see a line anywhere for UPS. Attached is a screen shot. I have all shipping methods enabled and and I've initiated the edit screens on all of them to see if there was a UPS option.

Am I missing something here? I could be a complete bone head and it could be staring me in the face.

>>>Any comments on my previous post?<<<

Seems like we are asking both of our questions for a similar reason. In your case, it is to see if it will work in your scenario, and in my case, it is to just install the correct shipping module.

Unfortunately, I can't assist you with your question, because I haven't installed the XML module.

Hoping someone can give me input on the attached screen capture and whether I'm just missing something that is obvious.

Ted

shipping_modules_screen_captures.jpg

Corinne,

Thanks for your input. I do not see a line anywhere for UPS. Attached is a screen shot. I have all shipping methods enabled and and I've initiated the edit screens on all of them to see if there was a UPS option.

Am I missing something here? I could be a complete bone head and it could be staring me in the face.

>>>Any comments on my previous post?<<<

Seems like we are asking both of our questions for a similar reason. In your case, it is to see if it will work in your scenario, and in my case, it is to just install the correct shipping module.

Unfortunately, I can't assist you with your question, because I haven't installed the XML module.

Hoping someone can give me input on the attached screen capture and whether I'm just missing something that is obvious.

Ted

shipping_modules_screen_captures.jpg

There is no UPS module in the OsCommerce install. It was taken out because of a UPS licensing issue.

Hi All,

We had a serious shipping miscalculation in our cart recently and I'm hoping this module will fix it. We have a heavily modded 2.2ms2 version and are currently using the stock USPS and UPS modules. A customer ordered three cases of cassette albums. Each case weighs about 20 pounds and has to be shipped separately. Instead of calculating the shipping charges for separate boxes, the cart combined the weight as if we were shipping one huge package and undercharged the customer by $20.00. It did this for both UPS and USPS, which is exactly how the modules were designed to function.

On smaller items in our cart, this is perfectly fine and we want the cart to do exactly what it did; but for cases of products, we need something that will know when a product is very large and is shipped separately and will charge the appropriate charges. We don't want to charge flat rates because local customers will end up paying way too much for shipping.

I've looked through some of this thread and I think this module will work, but I need someone to verify that it meets our requirements. We need it to:

1. Have a way to differentiate between large products that are shipped separately and small products that will be shipped together in one package.

2. Charge the appropriate shipping charges based on what is determined in #1.

3. Allow us to choose what UPS methods we want to ship by.

4. Quote shipping charges that include insurance, fuel charges, residential/commercial rates, rural zones, etc.

Also, all of our shipping has been weight based and we would like to continue that way if possible.

As I said before, I think this module will work; but before I spend hours installing and testing the module, I would like someone to verify that it will work for us. Thanks!

Corinne

Hi Corine,

While it will be time consuming I think you will find it very worthwhile to read through the whole manual that comes with this contribution as well as the posts in this thread starting in the Fall 05. You can set items you want to ship in their own box by marking them "ready to ship" and those items will get quoated as a stand alone box. You can also limit how many of an item go into a box by putting a limit on the box weight in the packaging area. It will also uses a dimensioal algorithym to limit how many items go into one box.

I modified the quick updates contribution to be able to modify height, weight, lenght, and ready to ship so I can adjust things easily as time went on. In the end it seems quickest to use SQL to modify them though.

I think you'll find this module is awesome and you can accomplish all your goals with it. But, it will take some time and effort. I find the log very helpful in getting things tweaked. The quotes I'm getting are very close as long as I have my products set up correctly.

John Wisdom

There is no UPS module in the OsCommerce install. It was taken out because of a UPS licensing issue.

Thanks for the input and update. When did it get removed?

And more importantly, does that mean it doesn't exist at all anymore?

Or, is it still available as a module for installing after doing the initial default install of the entire shopping cart?

If anyone knows where a thread is for this module, I would be grateful for the link and the steer in the correct direction.

Sorry for the hijack of this thread.

Ted

Jan,

You have great patience and I commend you. While it's easy to get ticked off by a few post by people that are too lazy to do the work it takes to find the answers they need, there are many more learning from this thread. Your work here and on this module is a big part of this modules success. Your efforts are great appreciated.

By the way, it's using my 48x8x6 box now, but I'm not sure what I did. I have been tweaking things ongoing.

John Wisdom

Hi Corine,

While it will be time consuming I think you will find it very worthwhile to read through the whole manual that comes with this contribution as well as the posts in this thread starting in the Fall 05. You can set items you want to ship in their own box by marking them "ready to ship" and those items will get quoated as a stand alone box. You can also limit how many of an item go into a box by putting a limit on the box weight in the packaging area. It will also uses a dimensioal algorithym to limit how many items go into one box.

I modified the quick updates contribution to be able to modify height, weight, lenght, and ready to ship so I can adjust things easily as time went on. In the end it seems quickest to use SQL to modify them though.

I think you'll find this module is awesome and you can accomplish all your goals with it. But, it will take some time and effort. I find the log very helpful in getting things tweaked. The quotes I'm getting are very close as long as I have my products set up correctly.

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your response. It has been both informative and reassuring.

I did read through several sections in this thread; through the "dimensions.txt", "readme.txt", and the "changes.txt" files from the download; and through the expanded list of updates on this contribution's download page before I placed my post. I guess after days of researching twenty or so shipping modules and searching through numerous threads, somehow my brain just did not absorb that section about "ready to ship" boxes.

Anyway, thank you for bringing that feature to my attention and also letting me know where to start reading in the thread. This thread has over 47,000 posts, so its a like finding a needle in a haystack to get the information you need. Your direction to Fall '05 will, I'm sure, be very useful.

Also, I did see Jan's mention (and now yours) about the "manual". I was never able to find that - unless its those text files from the download that I mentioned previously. Could you tell me where the manual is if it isn't those files?

Thanks again for your help. You have helped to convince me that our shopping cart problem will be solved with the addition of this module. I will inform my boss of my findings and hopefully we will soon have a working solution.

Sincerely,

Corinne

Ted,

I apologize for my misinformation about the UPS module. I had no idea it was pulled. Just trying to help.

Corinne

John,

While it's easy to get ticked off by a few post by people that are too lazy to do the work it takes to find the answers they need,
Sorry for that, I seem to get a bit cranky lately.
there are many more learning from this thread.
You are probably right. The majority of the users will solve their problem on their own, but we only see the ones that can't (or prefer to rather ask than spend the time).
Your work here and on this module is a big part of this modules success. Your efforts are great appreciated.
Thanks.
By the way, it's using my 48x8x6 box now, but I'm not sure what I did. I have been tweaking things ongoing.
Haven't looked at it myself yet. I'm working on an SPPC (Separate Pricing Per Customer) modification at the moment and (as always) it takes more time than you assumed it would :'(

Don't be sorry for that, because I wouldn't have taken that as well as you did.

What people need to realize is many questions have been answered in this thread and if they read through the posts they will find the answers to most questions. What's even better is I found answers to questions in this thread before I even had run into the problem.

SPPC is another very good contribution. Perfect for store owners that want to sell retail and wholesale out of the same cart.

John Wisdom

I've installed this module UPSXML v123 and it was working fine out of the box for a few weeks and now I'm getting the dreaded:

Rating and Service 1.0001 0 An unknown error occured while attempting to contact the UPS gateway.

With a cURL error: Error from cURL: Error [6]: Couldn't resolve host 'www.ups.com'

I haven't touched anything! (I did install the HeaderTags contrib and took it down to see if that was the problem but it wasn't)

Is the "couldn't resolve host" error an issue with my server or is it ups?

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen lots of post dealing with this issue but no fix seems to work for me.

Solved my own issue. Just did a complete tear down and reinstall of this module and I'm back up and running again. Must of touched something I shouldn't have!

Corinne,

By manual, I mean the associated readme files, but I got a lot out of this thread particularly with the packaging routine. Probably start Dec 05 and you'll get most of the pertinent information.

Anyway, I really think you will find this shipping module worthwhile. Setting up your product dimensions well is time well spent and that's where I have spent a lot of time tweaking.

Good luck with this and if I can help you just let me know, but I basically only know how to make it work and what it can do.

John Wisdom

Must of touched something I shouldn't have!
Never seen that one before. The error Error from cURL: Error [6]: Couldn't resolve host 'www.ups.com' seems to indicate a (temporary) DNS problem so it might have been a glitch?

First, let me say thanks to Corinne for answering my questions. No worries, I know you were just trying to help. :thumbsup:

===========================

On another broader note, I have no idea if some of the comments here about people unwilling to read and learn are possibly directed at my questions posted above? I sense that they might be somewhat. Then again maybe they aren't directed this way. If they are, I would imagine you have looked at my number of posts and have possibly deduced in your mind that I am impatient and only posted because I won't spend the time reading, learning and trying. If so, you are very, very wrong indeed.

I have spent countless hours and hours and hours over the past months evaluating, reading and learning about osCommerce. Please notice my join date. This is when it started. Not an old timer here, but there are months of reading that I've done. I have installed various carts and I have about 4 different carts in various stages of development. I have also installed various modules and fixes. And I'm very grateful to the folks that have spent the time to kindly share these with everyone. I realize how much time they take. I hope in the future I can also add my own material to "give back" to the community here.

I am a member of another forum on the web and I'm seen as an old hand in that forum because I've been around for years. I tend to give a lot of advice in that forum because I've been around so long. I almost feel obligated to do so because I have learned so much there. However, at no point have I ever complained to newbies in the other forum about their questions. I don't take their endless questions "personal" because I realize there will always be new folks coming around that have maybe not had the time to read over every inch of material. A person in "this" forum that I greatly respect is ToyiceBear. A very very patient and helpful individual who has the capacity to treat repeated questions "like water off a ducks back". ToyiceBear will answer the same question over and over and over again without a whimper. I hope I can emulate ToyiceBear's examples of patience in the other forum and maybe in this forum in the future.

The fact that I have few posts here in THIS forum maybe should tell you that I rarely ask questions. Instead I read thoroughly. And, I do this specifically because I don't want to waste other people's time by rehashing old topics.

However, my questions above about the UPS module was due to MISINFORMATION on another "official" help page dealing with shipping. Not simply impatience. My next LOGICAL question after finding out the errors in the help section was to find out if this module IS the correct UPS module to install? This is also a question asked after reading and noticing there are a large group of different shipping modules and hacks that people have written. Which one is the best is a basic question. Not impatience.

This thread is 45 pages long and I am asking for and looking for a basic UPS module? Again, a basic one to start off. Probably the one that used to come as a default module. The fact that this thread is 45 pages tends to tell me that it is not so basic. It would be great to have the question answered.

If there is one thing I have learned about osCommerce is you go in small steps so that you don't overwrite and replace things that are currently working. This XML module will probably work, but I would like to inch my way forward first to test the waters. Unless this module is very easy. I guess Corinne and I are on the same page here. We know how much time you can spend going down the wrong path. Is that impatience? I don't think so. I would more say it is experience working with this cart and the various modules and hacks that people have written.

What really needs to maybe happen is the "tuturial" on the default UPS module that was available with the earlier version should be deleted by a moderator in this forum. If it was, I would probably have never come into this thread and ask my question and my number of posts would have remained "0".

Instead, I now have a few posts to my name, and still don't have my question answered. Instead, I have the feeling that I should leave and don't ask anymore questions because I'm impatient and I've spent no time learning. So, if the comments above were partially directed at me, that's how I feel. If they were not, please inform me so.

And once again, thank you VERY much for all of the time you have devoted to this thread. :thumbsup:

:) Cheers,

Ted

Ted,

On another broader note, I have no idea if some of the comments here about people unwilling to read and learn are possibly directed at my questions posted above?
I guess you are talking about me and no, they were not pointed at you but meant in a very, very general sense. If you hang around these forums long enough you will find that you come across a number of people (help vampires) who immediately start posting questions the moment they have an error or cannot find things in a few minutes.

These people should do their own research before asking a question.

However, at no point have I ever complained to newbies in the other forum about their questions. I don't take their endless questions "personal" because I realize there will always be new folks coming around that have maybe not had the time to read over every inch of material.
I try to avoid complaining too, it is not helpful. However, as the article I linked to above explains the daily avalanche of questions whose answers could be found quickly in the documentation or with search does tend to turn away the more knowledgeable people in the long run and I have the impression that has happened in these forums over the last year or so.
A person in "this" forum that I greatly respect is ToyiceBear. A very very patient and helpful individual who has the capacity to treat repeated questions "like water off a ducks back". ToyiceBear will answer the same question over and over and over again without a whimper. I hope I can emulate ToyiceBear's examples of patience in the other forum and maybe in this forum in the future.
Well, I am not that patient and it also means that you can't answer the more difficult questions that take 15 minutes or half an hour to think about and test. Then only the simple questions get answered.

In fact it wouldn't be bad if newbies here were honestly told that if they start changing osC code by adding a contribution it would be a good idea to read a beginners book on PHP (and perhaps MySQL) to avoid making and recognizing simple syntax errors. That would save them a ton of time in the long run IMHO.

A lot of people get frustrated by things that they can't get to work and blame on osC, PHP5, or the contribution whereas the problem is sitting in front of the computer screen.

However, my questions above about the UPS module was due to MISINFORMATION on another "official" help page dealing with shipping. Not simply impatience. My next LOGICAL question after finding out the errors in the help section was to find out if this module IS the correct UPS module to install? This is also a question asked after reading and noticing there are a large group of different shipping modules and hacks that people have written. Which one is the best is a basic question. Not impatience.
You are 100% right, it is something that should have been explained in the download, or the documentation that the UPS module was removed.

From the 2 or 3 remarks of team members on this topic it appears that were was some run-in with the UPS legal department and it was pulled. I have never seen information on what exactly the problem was. As far as I am aware UPS never went after the contributors to the UPS XML contribution so what the problem was?

This thread is 45 pages long and I am asking for and looking for a basic UPS module? Again, a basic one to start off. Probably the one that used to come as a default module. The fact that this thread is 45 pages tends to tell me that it is not so basic. It would be great to have the question answered.
The basic module you are looking for is UPS Choice. Let me warn you beforehand that the impression I got over the years from feedback by users is that the UPS XML tends to give more accurate quotes, even without the dimensional support. If you have a test server you can install them both and look at the different rates they are quoting at the same time, for the same package(s). And different they are, but why?

This XML module will probably work, but I would like to inch my way forward first to test the waters. Unless this module is very easy.
It will take you more time to get the developer key from UPS than to install the UPS XML module in my opinion. I think you should be able to install this in less than 15 minutes. Compared to things like CCGV (Credit Class and Gift Voucher) or SPPC (Separate Pricing Per Customer) it is a walk in the park (and even more easy to disable, just one setting in the admin section).
What really needs to maybe happen is the "tuturial" on the default UPS module that was available with the earlier version should be deleted by a moderator in this forum.
You are right. At least give a clear warning were to turn for alternatives would be in order.

Hi Ted,

My comments were not aimed at you and I'm sorry if you thought they were. I'm a member of several forums geared towards different things and I just know that people get burned out with repeated questions. Actually, the comments that people make about needing an answer immediately gets old. We are all forum newbies at one time or another and sometimes people just need things to be stated bluntly. Trust me, I know what you mean about spending a lot of time reading in this forum. But, it seems some people don't even consider searching their questions, which is often the quickiest route to a solution.

I guess I didn't explain my answer well enough, but really the UPSXML module is not difficult to install and you don't have to use the extra capabilities if you do not want to.

However, I ran my OSC site for 3 years just using table rate and that is a super simple shipping method. The advantage to it is customers can easily tell what shipping will be based on a table you can create in your shipping page. I just based it on dollar volume and it worked pretty well untill I started dealing with more OS1 boxes going from Florida to California. Food for thought for the time being.

On another note, there are some cart packages of OSC that have a lot of the popular contributions already loaded in. In some ways they are easier and some ways they're not.

John Wisdom

Never seen that one before. The error Error from cURL: Error [6]: Couldn't resolve host 'www.ups.com' seems to indicate a (temporary) DNS problem so it might have been a glitch?

I thought it might be a temporary glitch too but after 2 days I was getting concerned. So I just did a complete teardown and reinstall and that seem to do the trick. But who knows maybe it was a glitch and was fixed by time I did the reinstall!

I have installed this module and everything has gone smoothly. I have run into one problem. I only accept paypal for right now. When the user checksout, all the totals are correct(subtotal, tax, and shipping). However when they are redirected to paypal to pay, the shipping charges only display $1 and not the actual shipping charges. Is there a option in the admin panel that I forgot?

I tried to do a search, but this forum doesn't let you search a specific thread, so the results were useless.