• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Support thread for JcM Header Stock Banner V1.0 Phoenix

JcMagpie

No I have no plans to do anything further with this. I have no idea what Phoenix's plans are, if it goes then you will either have to stick with current version or find another solution. I have frozen my add-ons at 1.0.1.2 and have no plans to do any further updates. Just too many changes to keep up with. Sorry.

Just because phoenix is removing it does not mean you have to, you could just keep using it. The changes you make are up to you.

Also I'm sure there will probably be a replacment add-on of some sort.

Edited by JcMagpie

5 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

No I have no plans to do anything further with this. I have no idea what Phoenix's plans are, if it goes then you will either have to stick with current version or find another solution. I have frozen my add-ons at 1.0.1.2 and have no plans to do any further updates. Just too many changes to keep up with. Sorry.

Just because phoenix is removing it does not mean you have to, you could just keep using it. The changes you make are up to you.

Also I'm sure there will probably be a replacment add-on of some sort.

Thank you for your prompt response.

This works up to 1.0.2.8 by the way.

Edited by LeeFoster

Ok thank's good to know, It's just that as I have only tested on 1.2  so that's all i can advise. 

I'm sure I have done header banners add-ons that do not use the osC stock banner code. So you could just use one of them check in the apps store.

This is one running on this 2.4 test site. It just pulls the images direct from a folder. Just requires you to manualy manage when the show.

Header Banner using image folder

image.thumb.png.dcf095d30627c0d492e8dda269044dc6.png

So you still have options.

No sorry would require editing core files if all the files and functions used have been removed and Iwould imaging the SQL tables will also go.

You can use this insted

The BS4 version will work fine you can see it running on v1.0.3.0 here My Phoenix 1.0.3.0 test site

image.thumb.png.e7a8577b939c885aa58bd307003113bd.png

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

No sorry would require editing core files if all the files and functions used have been removed and Iwould imaging the SQL tables will also go.

You can use this insted

The BS4 version will work fine you can see it running on v1.0.3.0 here My Phoenix 1.0.3.0 test site

image.thumb.png.e7a8577b939c885aa58bd307003113bd.png

Can the advert be a link? And can it be amended to be more than 3?

26 minutes ago, LeeFoster said:

That's what the advert add-on is doing. Sure you can edit code to add as many as you like I belive it has 4 slides. It's just a case of copying exsting code.

As the images are defined in a language file you can pull them from local folder or link on another site, it's up to you.

Or take a look at @Jack_mcs Jssor Slider  as it's by a developer it's more likly to be updated and supported on Phoenix.

7 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

That's what the advert add-on is doing. Sure you can edit code to add as many as you like I belive it has 4 slides. It's just a case of copying exsting code.

As the images are defined in a language file you can pull them from local folder or link on another site, it's up to you.

Or take a look at @Jack_mcs Jssor Slider  as it's by a developer it's more likly to be updated and supported on Phoenix.

I'll have a look at both thanks

2 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

No it wouldn't require core changes.  Just add a hook file to add

global $cl_box_groups;

foreach ( $cl_box_groups as &$group ) {
  if (BOX_HEADING_TOOLS == $group['heading']) {
    $group['apps'][] = array(
        'code' => 'banner_manager.php',
        'title' => BOX_TOOLS_BANNER_MANAGER,
        'link' => tep_href_link('banner_manager.php')
    )
  }
}

in a listen function.  You can put the necessary defines and requires in the file but outside the class.   This can be hooked into the admin siteStart, as that runs after the variable is built but before it is used.  Any catalog changes from the original banner manager code could likely be implemented as an injectAppTop siteWide hook. 

Then you just upload the files into the right places and run SQL to make any necessary database changes. 

Note that for someone upgrading to 1.0.3.0, they could just skip deleting the files and running the database changes relevant to the banner manager.  The only part that they really need to do is updating the files that reference the banner manager, and the hook files will fix that. 

Always back up before making changes.

2 hours ago, LeeFoster said:

Ok a quick update for you to test. Works fine on my test site. Has been setup for 8 banners. The default install will place Halloween banners on your site ? so chnage as you like.

All images and text pulled from lang file. If the image exists then banner will show if empty ' ' then will not show.

It's just a quick mod to make it work without the stock banner code ( no not going to add to the add-on I just dont have the time to keep admin code upto date)

JcM Header Stock Banner carousel V1.1 Phoenix.zip

20 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

If I'm reading things correctly...it'll become available as an app....there is just no reason for it to remain as part of the core.   Removing it will give the development community free rein to build it out as they wish.

Dan

1 hour ago, Dan Cole said:

If I'm reading things correctly...it'll become available as an app

No matter, if and when it is available people have the option now of using it or not. As they say more than one way to skin a cat 🙀

😊

7 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

No matter, if and when it is available people have the option now of using it or not. As they say more than one way to skin a cat 🙀

😊

Agree...I just wanted to make it crystal clear.  Simply because it is being removed from the core doesn't mean it'll no longer be available.

Dan

😊clearly not as clear as needed as people were asking what would happen without it. Still never mind sorted now. Original version has been updated to inclued stock banner code so just copy all the admin files over as well. It's a NO core change as far ad the code goes, but as the banner tables have been removed from the database you will need to add these back. I have included a SQL file with all the required infomation. However be warned BACKUP your database before you make any changes to it.

It's as simple as opening phpmyAdmin and going to your database then click the sql and then copy the provided code into the window and press go. It will automaticly add the required tables to your database. If your not sure then get some one to do it for you. Be sure to BACKUP first.

image.thumb.png.c1eab3eeeb8a10091086a9d83c4b33a3.png

If all goes well you wil have your old banner manager back.

image.png.1ca16efc9a8b38ade47c27e44282a056.png

For me it is also important. Banner Manager removed. How to be?
My banners advertise my products. I analyze user click activity of banners. This helps determine the popularity of products.

Now you need to create a new module or save the old version of the Admin?
If a new banner module is created, I think it can be simplified, but leave compatibility with the database in which there is information. This is important for older stores that have used this option for many years.
If someone will create a module, you need to pay attention to the graph function. she is very outdated. To graphically display banner statistics, you can use the modern options of the BS.

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

I was simply putting back the original functions for those that use them nothing more. Development of any new version is best left to those working on the core. If you need BS4 then that already exists, I did not use it as I'm not sure many people are using the BS4 admin.

image.thumb.png.fa942b548cc8acd251dea31c7fd97ad7.png

I tried to install the Admin BS, but deleted it, since I have many additional modules and it is not successful to adapt them.
The new modern Admin is necessary for the Phoenix. But no one does it.
What version of BS Admin do you use?

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi