• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What to do with .com and .co.uk

14steve14

As many will already know I have a .com oscommerce site up and running. I now been able to buy the .co.uk. What should I do with the .co.uk. Some have suggested just having a redirect to the .com which seems a bit of a waste, whilst others have suggested having a fixed page website with things like information pages and practical advice rather than have all the links on the oscommerce site. Sort of turn it into a blog type site if that makes any sense with links to the old site.

What would be best for the business and the website whilst also considering SEO.

I may even use it for testing a copy of Phoenix for now.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Pointing it to the .com site just does that. It won't gain you anything other than making sure anyone using that domain name ends up on the other one and you prevent a competitor from using it. Having the .co.uk point to .com may be useful for UK searches since google UK will return those due to location.

Creating an information site can be useful for SEO purposes, if done correctly. You can use a link from it to the .com site, or vice versa. But not both if you end up with a duplicate site since google may punish for that. But don't expect anything useful from the search engines right away. They will usually delay ranking for many months to insure the site is real. Otherwise you could create a hundred shops today and point them all to one site in an attempt to help that site. But I think having a different site with a similar name might be confusing to your visitors. They may type in .co.uk by mistake and see that you don't have products and assume the site is no longer available for products. So you would want to make it clear the sites are related.

Personally, I think the name is too similar to the original to be anything other than a pointer to the original. One exception might be if you want to target your UK visitors differently, like giving them a discount or location-specific options. The .co.uk site will generally be returned to UK searchers for the same search term over the .com, though that assumes the pages are setup for the same keywords.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived