• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best way to import larger numbers of products & images

V8200T5

Hello everyone,

I have tested a large number of different shop software in the last few months to find the one that has the most advanced import feature for products and images because I want to automate product creation and management as much as possible through the use of CSV files. I find it quite astonishing that most agencies seem to see this as a one-off task just for migrating between different shop systems or the inital setup and then never touch it again. In every forum there are threads discussing that the import modules freeze when importing large amounts of images, etc. and I wonder why no one seems to have tackled this and created a more permanent solution.

May I ask what number of products you are managing with osCommerce and what solution do you use to manage them?

I want to import 100k products with at least double the amount of images, because most products have 2 or more images. With other shop software I tried it takes about 30 minutes to import 500 products and images. Would this be about the same for osCommerce?

How are the images saved in osCommerce? For such a large of number of images they should be splitted into different subfolders, to allow easier management and I saw there is already a plugin for that, although it hasn't been updated in a while.

Is easy csv import by milkman45 the best import plugin for osCommerce or are there any other solutions?

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi V8!

A number of our clients have websites with a sizeable DB of products. Some have around 500k products or similar. 

I suppose it depends not just on the software but also on the server, and how the images are made available to the scripts. Although 500 products for 30 mins sounds SLOW :) 

I'd be happy to let you try some of our scripts if you'd like to pm me.

Kind regards, 

Vadym

Business Development
osCommerce

Archived