• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hi,

I am running osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1 CE  and intermittently get misssing orders up till now I have not had much luck in finding why However today a friend placed two orders and one went walkabout.

I checked the database for orders and there is no order with the number stated, So I am guessing that the payment success script would not do anything. I checked the shopping carts in the database and no entries for that customer. The customer did NOT get a confirmation email.

Any idea where I should look next? Some help with the order process would be great.

Thanks

Allan

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at that LOL) but did you ask your friend why they placed the second order? I assume they noticed something wrong and repeated the order.

Dan

In most cases this is due to customer not completing the order! I regularly get customer emailing me a screen grab of the check out saying where is my order! When you look at the screen grab you normaly find it is not order confermation!

The best solution is to install add-on for recover carts which will show you incompleat orders. It will probably need updating

https://apps.oscommerce.com/bY2eV&recover-cart-sales-for-osc-2-3-1

or if you just need a simple report then use this,

2 hours ago, astecme said:

Any idea where I should look next?

Is it always with the same payment module? Which payment module? If you enabled the COD or Check/Money Order module does it fail?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

On 6/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, astecme said:

Yes sorry,

The missing order is the first of two, he ordered 1 part on the first order and 4 on the second. I only use the paypal app and both orders were paid for, the order nos in paypal are sequential e.g. xxx79 and xxx80 the first order does not exist in my database.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:57 PM, astecme said:

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

In most cases this is due to customer not completing the order! I regularly get customer emailing me a screen grab of the check out saying where is my order! When you look at the screen grab you normaly find it is not order confermation!

The best solution is to install add-on for recover carts which will show you incompleat orders. It will probably need updating

https://apps.oscommerce.com/bY2eV&recover-cart-sales-for-osc-2-3-1

or if you just need a simple report then use this,

There are no carts for this customer as referenced by his customer no.

If it's relating to PayPal only then this can happen if the customer fails to return to store after payment. If you suspect some code is failing check your error logs to see if any clues are in it.

9 minutes ago, astecme said:

The missing order is the first of two, he ordered 1 part on the first order and 4 on the second. I only use the paypal app and both orders were paid for, the order nos in paypal are sequential e.g. xxx79 and xxx80 the first order does not exist in my database.

Does anything show up for the missing order, in your paypal apps log?  Maybe there is a clue there as to what went wrong.

Dan

Are you using IPN with paypal? This should complete the order.

I suspect he's coming back to the site in such a way that the order gets put back in his basket instead of completing

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

4 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

Are you using IPN with paypal? This should complete the order.

I suspect he's coming back to the site in such a way that the order gets put back in his basket instead of completing

Yes I use IPN, The basket does not exist nor does the order.

14 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

Does anything show up for the missing order, in your paypal apps log?  Maybe there is a clue there as to what went wrong.

Dan

No, paypal log is empty

4 minutes ago, astecme said:

No, paypal log is empty 

Then I'm not sure what to say other than PayPal might have had a hiccup on their end.   Every now and again (fortunately not often) I have had something similar happen and never been able to trace it down.

Dan

Starting at the beginning. Did the customer actually pay for both orders. If so did they get a PayPal confirmation email and can you see the payment received in your PayPal account. If the payment was successfully was an order number/invoice created  in the PayPal payment area. If there was is this invoice number missing form your oscommerce sales area. Does the customers cart empty or are the items still in there. As a second order has been placed this may be hard to find out, but the customer could tell you about the items when they created the second order.

The next bit is about the module you are using in oscommerce. Are you using the PayPal App or one of the older payment methods.

I expect that the customer was not returned to the correct page on your site. They may have just left the payment page as they thought they had finished.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

3 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

Starting at the beginning. Did the customer actually pay for both orders. If so did they get a PayPal confirmation email and can you see the payment received in your PayPal account. If the payment was successfully was an order number/invoice created  in the PayPal payment area. If there was is this invoice number missing form your oscommerce sales area. Does the customers cart empty or are the items still in there. As a second order has been placed this may be hard to find out, but the customer could tell you about the items when they created the second order.

The next bit is about the module you are using in oscommerce. Are you using the PayPal App or one of the older payment methods.

I expect that the customer was not returned to the correct page on your site. They may have just left the payment page as they thought they had finished.

Yes, Customer paid for both orders, Paypal sent confirmation of payment. The first order was NOT confirmed by SC, the second was.

In Paypal I have sequential OSC order nos and both transactions have the correct customer no.

I am using the paypal app, If they did not return to the site then IPN should have taked care of it should it not?

There are no remaining carts or other orders around the same time for the same customer.

42 minutes ago, astecme said:

Yes I use IPN, The basket does not exist nor does the order.

Most payment modules are designed to work in such a way that if the customer cancels back from the payment provider, their order is deleted and put back into their basket.

If they are returning from the payment provider to the wrong url after paying (or accessing another url themselves), the order (in the preparing status) could be being deleted wrongly.

If they subsequently place another order successfully then their basket would get deleted.

If you are using IPN then you'll get a log in paypal that you can look at (iirc it's called IPN history). If you're using the paypal app you get lots of info in osc admin. If you're not using the paypal app, I'd do so.

Occasionally IPN develops a backlog in which case they might get back to your site before the IPN arrives, so that whatever is wrong gets a chance to cockup the orders.

Do you have a return url set in paypal?

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

1 minute ago, BrockleyJohn said:

Most payment modules are designed to work in such a way that if the customer cancels back from the payment provider, their order is deleted and put back into their basket.

If they are returning from the payment provider to the wrong url after paying (or accessing another url themselves), the order (in the preparing status) could be being deleted wrongly.

If they subsequently place another order successfully then their basket would get deleted.

If you are using IPN then you'll get a log in paypal that you can look at (iirc it's called IPN history). If you're using the paypal app you get lots of info in osc admin. If you're not using the paypal app, I'd do so.

Occasionally IPN develops a backlog in which case they might get back to your site before the IPN arrives, so that whatever is wrong gets a chance to cockup the orders.

Do you have a return url set in paypal?

Ah,

If the customer cancels out of paying - then I get an order that has no payment history in it. If the basket is retained until paypal comes back with a response and OSC THEN converts the basket to an order then since OSC gets the basket by customer no then I should have 5 items in the basket and a payment mismatch.

I dont understand the logical flow in OSC once the customer starts checkout though so I dont know that my logic is valid.

Off the top of my head the flow is:

on the way from checkout_payment into checkout_confirmation it creates an order in preparing status (basket still there)

if they never come back or pay, it stays like that

if they cancel back they should end up at checkout_payment with the preparing order deleted

if they confirm back they should go through checkout_process which updates the order, adds history, deducts stock and empties basket

if the IPN gets there first, it does all the above updates and adds an IPN history, if the customer got there first it just adds IPN history

NB osc IPN processing just silently ignores anything without a matching order because you get IPNs for all paypal payments whether they relate to osc orders, ebay orders, invoice payments etc

1 hour ago, BrockleyJohn said:

Off the top of my head the flow is:

on the way from checkout_payment into checkout_confirmation it creates an order in preparing status (basket still there)

if they never come back or pay, it stays like that

if they cancel back they should end up at checkout_payment with the preparing order deleted

if they confirm back they should go through checkout_process which updates the order, adds history, deducts stock and empties basket

if the IPN gets there first, it does all the above updates and adds an IPN history, if the customer got there first it just adds IPN history

Oh, Forever with OSC if the person goes to paypal and then abandons I get the order left with no payment history. I will look at checkout confirmation

Archived