• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Thoughts on the review system

Thinking about reviews today. I think it would be nice for the store owner to be able to respond to a review. Many reviews have questions or comments where a response is warranted. Also, I have had some customers expressing a wish to be able to upload photos to include with their review. Reviews are very powerful and making them more interactive/informative would be a huge plus.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

some of my ideas

is this review helpful button/counter

sort order by star rating high/low first

show only 1 star reviews etc

also as default it will order the reviews by the rating, would it be better to sort by date so the latest review is first possibly include the date of the review

Phoenix support now at https://phoenixcart.org/forum/
App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

2 hours ago, Smoky Barnable said:

Reviews are very powerful and making them more interactive/informative would be a huge plus.

I think things are changing regarding reviews, there are so many companys selling fake review that consumers are questioning the value of reviews.

Some of the big review sites have been found wanting! One review of the market found only 11% of reviewers recomend trustpilot!! not exactly encouraging is it. So what chance has the small indipendet website of convincing it's users that the reviews it's posting are to be trusted?

image.thumb.png.47d7bec8ea5498e1c372321c5863c7f2.png

This Forbes article is worth reading. I thnk the days of reviews beeing a trusted part of a website may well be coming to an end.

This Is Why You Should Not Trust Online Reviews

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherelliott/2018/11/21/why-you-should-not-trust-online-reviews/#1d71e6ac2218

Well, the most obvious thing is to permit only confirmed actual purchasers with an account to post reviews. State that clearly, to improve trust. That should keep out fake reviews. The store would have to keep around purchase records for some period of time, say, one year (bar reviews after that period), and could automatically check that the account did in fact purchase this very item within the last year.

As to the ability to respond, especially to refute bad reviews (not necessarily to censor or edit them, just present the store's side of the story), that sounds useful. I'm not sure that it would be good to permit a back-and-forth (a conversation), as that can get out of hand pretty quickly in this day and age (when almost everyone online lacks any civility whatsoever). One review per account, up to one response by the store.

If you have a Google Buissnes accout you can make use of the Google reviews service, it's free and easy to use.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3474122?hl=en-GB#

Get reviews on Google

Reviews on Google provide valuable information about your business to both you and your customers. Business reviews appear next to your listing in Maps and Search, and can help your business stand out on Google. 

To get reviews on Google, encourage your customers to spread the word about your business by following these best practices:

• Remind your customers to leave reviews. Let them know that it’s quick and easy to leave business reviews on mobile devices or desktop computers. Learn how to leave Google reviews 
  • Reply to reviews to build your customers' trust. Your customers will notice that your business values their input, and possibly leave more reviews in the future. You can also create and share a link that customers can click on to leave a review. Find out how to read and reply to reviews  
  • Verify your business so your information is eligible to appear on Maps, Search, and other Google services. Only verified businesses can respond to reviews. Learn how to verify your business

Reviews are only valuable when they are honest and unbiased. Read more in our review posting guidelines.  If you see a review that’s inappropriate or that violates our policies, you can flag it for removal

Archived