• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question for Ambassadors

peterbuzzin

I'm considering being an ambassador, I like some of the features it provides.

One thing that did take my interest is the commercial enquiries but wondering how many it actually receives considering that osCommerce although well known is very much behind the competition these days/almost dead.

Thanks

If it still don't work, hit it again!

Senior PHP Dev with 18+ years of commercial experience for hire, all requirements considered, see profile for more information.

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC version (the community-supported responsive version) here.

Hi Pete and welcome to the forums.  It is nice to see more developers actively posting here.   To answer your question and for what it's worth, there were 15 requests for commercial support since the beginning of the year.  Not a lot but on the other hand there is not a lot of competition either. :)

Dan 

When I asked for commercial support I only got replies from people that are just here for the purpose of getting work. Those people never contribute anything back to the community, and would not allow their work to be released back so others could use it. I could see no addons that any of them had produced, and any feedback I could find was not always the best. Needless to say I never went with any of them, but saying that never got the work done even after posting on sites like people per hour.

If looking for work, try to build a relationship with the forum first and continue to do this. It will create a better impression.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've used different accounts on the forum over the years and contributed where I can. I did release my own updated WorldPay module/addon based on HDLP's 'official' addon as he hadn't updated it for sometime and the callback would fail everytime.  I'm starting to get more involved now as I think it's a bit of a shame that the forum is a little like a ghost town now compared to the old days.

Yes a plus side of being an ambassador is being able to view commercial enquiries but I'm also interested in the App/addon promotion as there are many I'd like to release that I've made commercially over years through employment.

Maybe you could help me with a question I have about that, its says about promotion but is there anyway to be able to also restrict editing/contribution of an addon/app once added/uploaded?

HDLP's addons are locked so only he can change them. I'd like to be able to do the same because I've seen how messy contributions to existing addons by other users can become and the problems of introduced errors or bad coding practices by those additional contributors.

If not I might have to take the route of adding a placeholder file as the contribution so it's listed and host externally like on github etc.

Senior PHP Dev with 18+ years of commercial experience for hire, all requirements considered, see profile for more information.

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC version (the community-supported responsive version) here.

9 hours ago, peterbuzzin said:

I'm considering being an ambassador, I like some of the features it provides.

Nothing to do with paid work, It's about beeing involved and wanting to give back to the community for me.

3 minutes ago, peterbuzzin said:

Yes a plus side of being an ambassador is being able to view commercial enquiries

The last time I checked on of the main pay per hour sites had over 40,000 osC projects of which 28,000 had been completed. Like all paid work you get what you pay for. I have used developers on this site and have been very happy with the work they have done, and  it's been very good value.

1 minute ago, peterbuzzin said:

HDLP's addons are locked so only he can change them. I'd like to be able to do the same because I've seen how messy contributions to existing addons by other users can become and the problems of introduced errors or bad coding practices by those additional contributors.

You can lock your add-on's if I remember corectly they are locked by default. It's only a few beer's jump in and join. :)

Last time I added an addon I didn't think locking it was an option. I'll have to check it out again.

Thank JC

Perfect! Although I'm assuming you're logged in as an ambassador, I wonder if it's the same for a standard user. I'll check it out, but thank you again JC

@JcMagpie and all, I'm thinking I may be productive this weekend and upload an addon/app.

I usually use the stock v2.3.4.1 (available from here https://www.oscommerce.com/Products) in my day to day activities at work as a base (although our base of it has been heavily modified over the years and resembles little of the original codebase).  For the addon I want it to be of use for the greatest amount of users but have longevity also. 

So with the above in mind, which of the versions of osC that are flying about at the moment would you recommend I base it upon?  And would you mind linking me to where I can find it (whether that be on github or elsewhere) as the other issue I've found that is although people say "Use this version xyz" finding it is another matter.

Thank you!

No simple answer to that question. You have

The one that is probably most in use of the CE versions.

CE BS3 Frozen here https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip 

Then you have CE BS4 EDGE moving target, changes as progress is made

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce

I have a copy of CE BS4 Frozen at time of first issue which is Basicly Frozen CE with BS4 if that makes any sense. Can be got from test site

https://chilleddisplays.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/57

I personaly have been limiting my add-ons to Frozen BS3 and BS4 only as I don't have time to do anything else.

@Hotclutch I agree it would be useful to have version numbering.  If osC is to be taken seriously as a contender once again (which I hope it will one day) then it does need to start offering itself more professionally in that sense. 

The above is in no way meant to cast a shadow over those who are contributing as I think you all do a great job and make huge efforts but I think the bigger picture needs to be at the forefront of peoples minds.  If it is then traction will be gained naturally and more people will come back or try out osC for the first time and the community will grow.

@JcMagpie let me see if I've got this correct then.....lol

Is release ready and the Frozen name possibly relates to the fact that no further development is going to be done to it?  And is, if you like, the next one to move on to from stock v2.4.3.1 as offered from https://www.oscommerce.com/Products in terms of natural progession/evolution?

Is that release ready but with the caveat that it's always being developed/worked on?

Is CE Frozen (so release ready but with no further development) but you've swapped out BS3 with BS4?

😊 Yes that's about it.

5 minutes ago, peterbuzzin said:

but you've swapped out BS3 with BS4?

No nothing to do with me I just took a snapshot on first issue so I had a stable BS4 version. It's basicly BS3 Frozen updated to BS4.

Edge is work is progress so not much point making add-on's as any update could cause them to stop working.

1 minute ago, JcMagpie said:

No nothing to do with me I just took a snapshot on first issue so I had a stable BS4 version. It's basicly BS3 Frozen updated to BS4.

Fair enough, sorry to implicate lol.  So why isn't that considered the default offering for new installs as it has BS4 and BS3 will eventually be deprecated?  Or is it? lol

If it is and not just something some people install some of the time, then it might be best if I code in compatibility options.

So to give you some idea

This is a CE Frozen BS3 test site.

https://justfastfood.com/

This is a CE Frozen BS4 test site.

https://chilleddisplays.co.uk

This is a Clean CE Edge referance site as of end April.

https://jcmagpie.com/

And just for completeness this is an official 2.3.4.1 refrence site

https://jcmagpie.co.uk/

1 minute ago, peterbuzzin said:

So why isn't that considered the default offering for new installs as it has BS4

Very few add-on's available at BS4 also only just issued a few months ago so not many people using it.

1 minute ago, Hotclutch said:

I would say it's best to look at BS4 edge as a base to develop on.

BS3 is deprecated and far inferior to BS4, no point in developing anything using BS3 anymore.

I agree with your logic, however I'm looking to make the addon I'm planning available to the greatest amount of users.  Making it compatible with BS3 and 4 is no biggy really, it's just class names mostly with a few added bits of html markup for some element, ideally i want it it to be usable even for 2.3.4.1.

4 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

Very few add-on's available at BS4 also only just issued a few months ago so not many people using it.

Ah I see, ok that helps thank you!

3 minutes ago, peterbuzzin said:

ideally i want it it to be usable even for 2.3.4.1.

Good point official is still probably the largest user base for osC ( in my  opinion ) as of 18 months ago I was still using 2.2a! 😊. However more and more people are slowly upgrading.

EDGE BS4 is still under development and continuous changing occur. You may publish an add-on for it and a few days, weeks, months later you have to update it to keep it compatible.

Meanwhile FROZEN is frozen and your add-on will stay working with it. That's why I still didn't begin to update my FROZEN BS3 add-ons for latest EDGE and BS4. I prefer to wait for the next stable release. 😉

Most users/developers here recommend EDGE BS4 only for developers or shop owners with coding skills to be able to update FROZEN BS3 add-ons themself.

Good breakdown @raiwa thank you!

So I think I will target Frozen BS3 (with BS4 compatibility option) and v2.3.4.1 with my addon. 

As a side note, I'm trying to work out why your name is familar to me.  I'm going to scan one of my installs for your name and see if I owe you some credit lol.  Couldn't find anything so probably just interacted on here at some point.

Archived