• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Sent newsletter, now not recieving confirmation emails...

pete2007

I sent a newsletter via oscommerce newsletter manager yesterday but now I am not receiving my order confirmation emails.

Is it possible that my IP address and email is now blacklisted? Is there anyway to check?

Is there anyway to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Well talk to your host, many like Go *******dy  will have limits set for number of emails sent per min/hour/day.....

So deppending on how many you sent you may have been black listed. Talk to you host and find out.

Personaly never been a big fan of ecarts beeing used for mass mailing too risky as you may get your domain black listed, much better to use a proper email marketing tool or services, mail "monkey"  😊 or some other you have many to select from, they are designed for this type of mass mailling work.

Your host ought be able to tell you if you're on some spam blacklist. They may even tell you that they added you because you sent out too many emails in a short period. They don't want their servers listed as spammers, either.

It's fine to email newsletters from your shop's domain, but it should probably be left to a proper bulk email application that knows how to obey host limits for per-minute, per-hour, per-day mailings. It should also try to distribute evenly and at a polite rate to major email systems like gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc., so they don't feel overwhelmed and report you as a spammer. Do you really need to get all 5000 emails out within one hour? How about over 2 days or so? Needless to say, all mass mailings must be explicit "opt in", and should include a reminder that the recipient signed up to receive them, and a reminder on how to easily unsubscribe. The latter two items reduce the chances that a recipient will report you as a spammer, simply to stop receiving mass mailings from you.

Perform a reverse blacklist list search (type that into Google and you'll get loads to test on) using the IP address your site is hosted on.

We ripped out the newsletter functionality from our osC installs years ago. It wasn't a bad idea 10+ years ago but it's way to easy to get blacklisted now. Recipients are fickle and lazy and they'll mark any email they don't like as spam.  Also they're non-compliant, at least the stock osC on the homepage isn't. It doesn't offer an unsubscribe link in the email.

Use mailchimp, it's free for up-to 2500 recipients I think and rules out the possibility of being blacklisted.

Full mailchimp integration is a module (already have it running on several stores) I'm planning on releasing if I do decide to become an ambassador. 

If it still don't work, hit it again!

Senior PHP Dev with 18+ years of commercial experience for hire, all requirements considered, see profile for more information.

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC version (the community-supported responsive version) here.

Thank you for the reply @peterbuzzin

The issue has now been resolved, we found out that a module on our server automatically kicked in called spam assassin, so I turned this off and our emails are working again.

Safe to say we won''t be using the osc newsletter module again and we will definitely look into your recommendation for the mailchimp module.

Good old SA! Great when it works properly but a monster sometimes when it starts scoring high on things and then trying to work out what is triggering those high scores. Glad you got it sorted.

There are 3 mailchimp modules/addons already. One has 360 in its name made 10 years ago which relies on a deprecated mailchimp API so doesnt work anymore. There are two others one made 2 years ago and another which is v2 of the same addon updated about 15 days ago.

I found those usable 2 modules/addons lacking and the issue I have with those is that they are essentially javascript plugins that only send the information to mailchimp and doesnt record it in you store or vice versa. So when someone registers on a store and ticks the newsletter box or a pre-registered user goes to their account and tick/unticks to subscribe those actions wont be registered with mailchimp.

This leaves you then with compliance issues as the user will say for example that they unsubscribe via your store but you'll still be sending them emails because mailchimp doesnt know they have unsubscribed.

The addon I'll be adding updates the store and mailchimp at the same time so that the newsletter status of customers in the store matches that in mailchimp and vice versa. I need to clean up my code and make it easier to install first but I'll add it once done.  

Senior PHP Dev with 18+ years of commercial experience for hire, all requirements considered, see profile for more information.

Is your version of osC up to date? You'll find the latest osC version (the community-supported responsive version) here.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:30 AM, peterbuzzin said:

The addon I'll be adding updates the store and mailchimp at the same time so that the newsletter status of customers in the store matches that in mailchimp and vice versa. I need to clean up my code and make it easier to install first but I'll add it once done.  

First off welcome to the community.

Cant wait to see what you come up with. Something like this has been missing for ages. I currently have to export newsletter subscribers from the website and upload to mailchimp, then unsubscribe manually. It does not take long, but is a pain in we all know where. What I never get to see that may upset some users is those that unsubscribe using their site account feature and they never get unsubscribed from mailchimp.

An addon wil make things so much easier Like I say, cant wait to see what you come up with.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

39 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

First off welcome to the community.

Thanks Steve, I've actually had this account since 2006 I'm just being more proactive now ;)

The addon is already built and working just fine in several of my employers clients stores I just need to package it so that it's more inline with the expectations of how addons/apps should present/integrate themselves when offered here (we have our own forked codebase of osC and so can get away with less formalities lol) and write up some instructions/guides.

Feel free to follow my profile and as soon as it's ready I'll announce it, that way you won't miss out on the notification.

Archived