• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Over 20,000+ USPS Debug Emails this morning!

ArtcoInc

I've been using the USPS shipping module, along with the 'Ship in Cart' add-on, for several years. I have the Debug Emails turned on. Everything has been working fine until this morning.

This morning, I received over 20,000 Debug Emails, in something like 6-8 hours! I had to disabled the Debug Emails in Admin.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

TIA

Malcolm

No, but it sounds like your store has a problem. What are these error reports (debug emails) telling you? Very similar problems? Do you need to check whether an upgrade is needed on your USPS module? (Wasn't there one recently?) Did your host just upgrade PHP? Have you been hacked?

@MrPhil

I suspect it was a hack attempt.

Ever since I launched the shop years ago, I have had 'Debug Emails' set on. So, any time a customer puts an item into the cart, and clicks on 'Get Shipping Quote', or they enter into the checkout_shipping page, the USPS module would send me the Debug Email. I would get them when someone was just checking to see what the shipping cost would be, and abandoned the cart afterwards.

What struck me is that I received so many of them, is such a short period of time. Unfortunately, I did not examine any of them, and I spent most of the morning deleting over 20,000 from my computer (I don't use a web based email, so it was causing serious problems with my computer here (yes, I was raised funny, remember?)).

I also received two emails this morning saying that two 'Tell a Friend' spam efforts were blocked.

So, like I said, I suspect that it was a hack attempt.

Thanks!

M