• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Bootstrap Themes from WP or Opencart? Have someone try?

Its not secret that now OSC have a lack of nice, moderns themes, mainly beacouse only free addons can be placed on the app market. Bot there are tonns of nice smooth templates for WordPress and OpenCart solutions.

Have someone try to adapt these themes to OSC Bootstrap edition? Some nice themes are free like this https://colorlib.com/preview/theme/onetech/

Let us know how you get on with this.

Most things can be altered in oscommerce by adding to the user.css file so there is no real need to have loads of crappy looking templates or themes. There are also bootstrap themes that can be easily applied.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

You can't produce a theme for the community version(s) by just adding to user.css

There are no free themes, no one is going to waste their time developing for releases which are not official.

38 minutes ago, Roman_SE said:

mainly beacouse only free addons can be placed on the app market

Has nothing to do with free or not! 

CE Bootstrap has no need of the old type of theme templates, It is totaly moduler front end, so you are free to make it look how you like, just make the modules install and turn on.

Everything you see in your sample page can be achived on CE by simply adding the required front end module. Oh and yes many are available FREE from the app market.

Your only limitation is your imagination. 😊 go be imaginative push the boundaries.

3 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Has nothing to do with free or not! 

CE Bootstrap has no need of the old type of theme templates, It is totaly moduler front end, so you are free to make it look how you like, just make the modules install and turn on.

Everything you see in your sample page can be achived on CE by simply adding the required front end module. Oh and yes many are available FREE from the app market.

Your only limitation is your imagination. 😊 go be imaginative push the boundaries.

Could you please show the example of so good looking template for oscommerce as I posted above? I have search on the app market by words "template" and "theme" and find nothimg. On google I found the one https://www.tonerpak.com.au/osc/ but they looks too simple and not "premium" (detailed)

10 minutes ago, Roman_SE said:

Could you please show the example of so good looking template for oscommerce as I posted above

CE is moduler you make your own layout by turning modules on and off. If you wish to have a ready made layout then go look at one of the partner's sites and you will have plently to pick from.

https://www.oscommerce.com/Services

I have working shop on ms 2.2 with many updates over the years, but now I have to migrate to some new engine coz OSC not improved at all... Yes you can make shop from zero< but if you just want buy some sweet theme and start - you cant do it... Its very disappointing.

45 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

CE is moduler you make your own layout by turning modules on and off. If you wish to have a ready made layout then go look at one of the partner's sites and you will have plently to pick from.

https://www.oscommerce.com/Services

If you mean two vendors with old looking, and really ugly themes...  One of those either have not workinf site... Just look at theme forest. We can see over a hundred themes for opencart, presta, woo but only 3 theme for oscommerce. One of them is really applicable, but have many bugs too... 

7 minutes ago, Roman_SE said:

3 theme for oscommerce. One of them is really applicable, but have many bugs too... 

Those are for old versions of oscommerce. The appearance of the latest CE version can be made to look like the template you linked too with most css changes. That's makes the template market pretty much useless since the template would just consist of one file and maybe a few images. So if you are looking for pre-made templates, you won't find them on template sites.  I'll PM a page that shows templates based mainly on css changes.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

20 minutes ago, Roman_SE said:

I have working shop on ms 2.2 with many updates over the years, but now I have to migrate to some new engine coz OSC not improved at all... Yes you can make shop from zero< but if you just want buy some sweet theme and start - you cant do it... Its very disappointing.

If you want to use oscommerce look for many posts with links to the community version called Frozen. Its the latest incarnation of oscommerce and is used in many shops, its just not official. Its the only version really supported here and the only one that has addons created for it.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

25 minutes ago, Roman_SE said:

If you mean two vendors with old looking, and really ugly themes

Rather harsh i think! 😊 you need to remember that front end design is a matter of personal taste, what you think is nice others may not like and vice versa.

With the focus on mobile devices now more and more people are opting for clean and simple layouts that work on both pc and mobile. The fancy layout you link to is very busy and most of it will not be visable on mobile devices.

At th risk of geting more harsh comment's you can take a look at one of the test sites and see how busy you cn make CE look also 😊  would not reommend it for a live site.

https://chilleddisplays.co.uk/

all done with simple add-ons and css.

as previously mentioned with CE Bootstrap, you can easily make your own template, it is just a case of moving some of the modules around, then using some css to change the colours

below is some css changes that i made to the breadcrumb to change the look. so similar changes can be made to any other part of the website

image.png.ace98522fd0b06017037c1d07c5c31a8.png

Phoenix support now at https://phoenixcart.org/forum/
App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

@Roman_SE

I think the important question is: What do you consider a theme? Is it a color scheme? Is it the page layout? Both? Or something completely different?

In the past, theme developers would hard-code their changes to alter the shops appearance, and to add additional features. Unfortunately, they did so by changing core code, messing with the safe functionality of the shop. This is why, in the past, themes were looked down upon.

In the Community Edition of osC, the use of Bootstrap, plus the new modularity of the code, substantially alters the appearance of the shop, and the recommended ways to make changes to the shop.

1) Obviously, you will need to design and upload your personalized logo(s).

2) The page layout can be changed by enabling or disabling modules in admin, and then moving them around (by setting their sort order). Additional modules, such as banners, sliders, and other scrolling eye candy, can be installed to add to the 'look and feel' (as well as adding additional functionality) of your shop.

If there is a function or feature you want, and there is no add-on available, you can write your own (or hire someone to write one for you). Then, you can include this new module where ever you want.

3) Changing the Bootstrap color scheme is pretty simple. There is at least one add-on that loads a variety of Bootstrap color schemes, and allows you to select any through Admin. You can also build your own color scheme, if you so choose.

4) Lastly, you can adjust just about any color in your shop with css. Background colors and/or images are also changed with css.

All of this is done without altering ANY of the core code.

In addition, at least one developer here does have a line of commercial themes for the Community Edition of osC. AFAIK, all of them do not require any core code changes.

So, the question again is: what do you consider a 'theme'?

M

@Roman_SE

5 hours ago, Roman_SE said:

Could you please show the example of so good looking template for oscommerce as I posted above? I have search on the app market by words "template" and "theme" and find nothing. On google I found the one https://www.tonerpak.com.au/osc/ but they looks too simple and not "premium" (detailed)

http://www.oscommerce-templates.co.uk/

M

The CEs are not finished products that can be released as is. It's going to be interesting to see what Harald does about them, when / if he eventually makes an announcement.

The CEs give no consideration to theming whatsoever. The idea of modifying a single CSS file to create a professional theme is nonsense, so put that out of your heads.

At the very least you need to modify the template or tpl files. Keep in mind that some template files still have php in them. If you want to create a non bootstrap theme you are going to have to make core code changes as well.

To the OP: If you like those themes and you lack the skillset to adapt CE, you should consider using those updated CMSs - what you are asking for does not exist with osCommerce right now.

12 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

At the very least you need to modify the template or tpl files.

This we already do as in you make a new module you have a new tpl file. I personaly think CE is quite easy to customise. For a ecart ( and lests not forget that is what osC is) you need 3 main pages.

1) Index or home page, this everyone will need to customise and they can as index on CE is moduler

2) Product info page, again this it totaly moduler in CE and you can make it look as you like.

3) Product listings page, This is the one weekness in CE this page is not moduler and any change requires core changes. However even this can with a few edits be made to look as you like.

So it's not perfect but what is.

18 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

This we already do as in you make a new module you have a new tpl file. I personaly think CE is quite easy to customise. For a ecart ( and lests not forget that is what osC is) you need 3 main pages.

1) Index or home page, this everyone will need to customise and they can as index on CE is moduler

2) Product info page, again this it totaly moduler in CE and you can make it look as you like.

3) Product listings page, This is the one weekness in CE this page is not moduler and any change requires core changes. However even this can with a few edits be made to look as you like.

So it's not perfect but what is.

The general advice on this forum is to confine changes to the user.css, and not to touch core files, which includes the tpl files. This is wrong.

There should be a template set, which the user can modify to produce their own theme. This is not possible with CE.

It's surprising how much can be achieved by amending user.css.   The idea of the tpl files is that shopowner will micro-adjust these - so (in my opinion) these files should be seen as is the user.css - core files but changeable.

Back in 2015 when the bootstrap build was new, I tried to get other developers on board (seo, theming etc) - but there was little interest, so I did what I thought would make life easier.  It for sure aint perfect but it's not too bad.

It sounds to me like a lot of people are looking for a "one button install" customization of their store to a given layout (call it a "template" or "theme" if you want). OK, how could that be done, without having to manually edit user.css, turn boxes on and off, etc.? I suppose some "template updater" thing could append some CSS to the end of user.css (rather than overwriting the whole file), import images, and update the database box entries to turn stuff on and off. Beyond that, is there anything else that can be done without editing "core" files? Maybe a "template" could auto-install certain add-ons? Beyond that, some "tpl" files might be overwritten or modified, but then we have to think about the possible consequences of this, with regards to updatability and maintainability.

Auto update of user.css and box settings could take care of a lot of minor layout stuff, but to add new functionality (seen in a lot of "templates") is a whole new game. That could involve touching a lot of core files, but given the current architecture of osC, that may be unavoidable. At least, they could be essentially add-ons, and are therefore (in theory) removable.

The next thing store owners will want is to regularly change among a number of themes, by holiday or season. Try to keep that in mind when designing anything. At the least, it should be a simple thing to back out the current template/theme and install a new one. Note that there might therefore be a "template.css" invoked just before "user.css". Done right, a seasonal update might be just a replacement of template.css.

Is anyone familiar with how other themeable applications such as WordPress do it? Perhaps some ideas could be stolen from that.

The template the OP was showing as what he wanted is quite basic, If you actualy download the examlpe you will find it's not just a shop. They have a cover page index.html which is the fancy page which just links to sections in the shop.html

Look at the shop.html and it's nothing special vertualy the same as anything you can do with CE. Even the fancy index.html cover page is not that special it's just a few sliders using owl carousell used at full width across the page. They just dont use any borders so they flow into each other.

I would load the exapme but its too big for forum.

image.thumb.png.98680e3e16c5f54ee09f0fa4fa4a9f9d.png

Yes it is using bootstrap 4 but they have used  many custom class's to allow more control over the look, Also they have used more media brakes to give a better performance over more devices.

[Table of Contents]

1. 1600px
2. 1440px
3. 1280px
4. 1199px
5. 1024px
6. 991px
7. 959px
8. 880px
9. 768px
10. 767px
11. 539px