• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce website given refresh

JcMagpie

Lovely. Not a word about what osCommerce is or can do for you. Just "please send us money and join our club". If someone was curious about osC and came to this page, they'd be turned off pretty quickly. Not good marketing.

9 000 !! How many works, really ? That's the problem. It's the race that will have the most modules that do not work. It's a shame.
This comment is also valid for all e-commerce tools (but other cms) and even worse for Android.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

59 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

9 000 !! How many works, really ?

😊 with any project that's been around for a while like osCommerce you wll have old stuff, Let's not forget that many people still use 2.2! and that at one point 2.2 was the bees knees.

As they say when looking forward do not forget from where you started.

The same can be said of any big project!

As of June 2018, GitHub reports having over 28 million users and 57 million repositories (including 28 million public repositories), making it the largest host of source code in the world. I not sure how many of these are still relavent today?

1 hour ago, Gyakutsuki said:

9 000 !! How many works, really ? That's the problem. It's the race that will have the most modules that do not work. It's a shame.
This comment is also valid for all e-commerce tools (but other cms) and even worse for Android.

There's 2 ways of looking at it. I don't think its a shame at all ... a huge achievement in fact to show what's possible. What's a shame is what is happening now.

@Hotclutch

Just I said, it the same thing for all marketplace. The interpretation of shame is not good. Everyone works on the number, but the reality is different.

I agree the number is evidence the community has been dynamic for a long time.

500 add on / year

0.02 add on / member

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

The only good thing about this site is it's forum.

Many people will find out (too late) that they have downloaded a Non-working version of OS commerce from  oscommerce.com.

What would *my* customers do if i'd sell them a sprocket without teeth?

Sorry customer, well, yeah, we sell it but it will not be usable out of the box, you'll have to mill the teeth on yourself or by a good mechanic that you need too hire for €€€€.

43 minutes ago, René H4 said:

Many people will find out (too late) that they have downloaded a Non-working version of OS commerce from  oscommerce.com.

The official software is what 90% of people use, most people will download from their hosts servers NOT this website.

Also official software is the only one most hosts will support. Official software is the one that has the most market penitration and most used add-on's.

Official software is stable and runs fine out of the box. Yes it's not bootstrap we all know that.

57 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

The official software is what 90% of people use, most people will download from their hosts servers NOT this website.

Where did you find these figures? Or is it just a good guess?

Sure why not wet finger in air :thumbsup: it's all good. You will find many people have made the official version responsive. Some with bootstrap some without.

It may be look hard to you or me but for a developer it's not a big deal. Some have even taken osC 2.4 and used it to make successful responsive ecarts.

Not all projects will be successful some wither and die before they even get of the ground. That is why it's best to keep an open mind and work on a number of projects, that is the true spirit of open source.

Just for a bit of fun I decided to install official osC and make it responsive! yes it will re-size to which ever device you use to look at it with. It took all of 10 miniutes to do. It was just to show that it is posiable and not as hard as people may think!

No the test site is not perfect but then nither am I 😊 it was just a quick hack to show that it's not such a big deal. The profesionals are much better and doing this trust me.

Also please dont confuse responsive and Bootstrap, yes Bootstrap is responsive but it's more that just media queries, it's a full framework.

So take a look at the test site on your phone or tablet and go from landscape to portrait and you will see official osC in a basic responsive form. https://www.jcmagpie.co.uk/

Yes I know I have not sorted out the images! it's just to show that grid 960 can be made responsive.

Screenshot_20190505-142149.png

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say, works fine on adroid phone and tablet. No scrolling required except up and down as allways. But then I can only check on the devices I have! Could be some it's not working on sure , but never mind as I said was just for a bit of fun.

Screenshot_20190505-142157.png

Archived