• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where to start for newbie

coolfi

On 5/2/2019 at 12:47 AM, coolfi said:

Hi all.

I've just been reading but I don't know where to start, the more I read the more confusing it gets.

I am currently testing it on my  localhost ubuntu server and all is working as it should but which version to use I've tried everything from official and community supported, not being coder just can't find a decent one with good templates.

Oscommerce being opensource why can't I find decent templates that are easy to install?  the one I could find are too old or don't work due to my limited coding skills.

Would anyone be kind enough to upload oscommerce with pre build in template that looks and feels modern and sleek?  That I can install and test?

Thanks and much appreciated.

I dont wish to sound harsh, or to try to put you off, but if I was starting from new, I would avoid official OScommerce like the plague. Its old, its not been updated in years and it is not mobile friendly. It has loads of other faults as well, so too many to list here. There are better free ecommerce platforms out there.

Well thats the official release anyway. What you will find on the forum is a version called community, bootstrap, edge, gold frozen and many other names, but they are all the same. Use one of the latest versions, frozen is the best and latest and you will have a decent website to start with. No need for templates as the CSS is easy to change. All latest addons created and developed are for this version rather than the official version, so that must tell you something.

Like any new software it takes a bit of learning, but it is not that hard to pick up basics. This forum is great if you need help.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

5 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

called community, bootstrap, edge, gold frozen and many other names, but they are all the same

Whoa! Caution there. They're of the same development family (Gary Burton's efforts), but are distinctly different releases. "Edge" is the continuing bleeding edge development effort (changes frequently), and is currently about Bootstrap v4 enabling, and Bootstrapped admin. "Frozen" is the May 2018 snapshot of "Edge", still at Bootstrap v3 (with admin not Bootstrapped). Use "Frozen" unless you're willing to put up with frequent changes to "Edge". Avoid anything earlier, such as "Gold", "BS", and "CE" (obsolete); as well as the official versions (obsolete). People still refer to "BS" and "CE" in a generic sort of way, but any actual releases under those specific names that you come across are obsolete (that's the external names; internally they may still be labeled "2.3.4.1BS" or even just "2.3.4.1"). I provide a set of patches for "Frozen" in my signature, as well as links to both "Frozen" and the current "Edge".

15 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

I dont wish to sound harsh, or to try to put you off, but if I was starting from new, I would avoid official OScommerce like the plague. Its old, its not been updated in years and it is not mobile friendly. It has loads of other faults as well, so too many to list here. There are better free ecommerce platforms out there.

Well thats the official release anyway. What you will find on the forum is a version called community, bootstrap, edge, gold frozen and many other names, but they are all the same. Use one of the latest versions, frozen is the best and latest and you will have a decent website to start with. No need for templates as the CSS is easy to change. All latest addons created and developed are for this version rather than the official version, so that must tell you something.

Like any new software it takes a bit of learning, but it is not that hard to pick up basics. This forum is great if you need help.

Not at all, any advice appreciated.

So far I've learned a lot here, from very post made and tips provided.  I have narrowed it down to use Frozen which I understand is from 2018 the latest and some patches for it.  but latest apps and templates still confuse me, which for which and where they go.

Also good point from Steve about mobile friendly, but as yet I have to find a free template for that as yet.

Also the problem has been resolved about blank boxes in the admin, and it was php issue, however still no best seller box on the right side pane, I assume it will appear once orders are filled?

What's wrong with this image?

image.png.dc1cc94c6ef0907e0f2bff595464e9b2.png

takes a few clicks to make a template for anyone of these carts. Used it just to see what the others were doing and I'm not surprised people go for alternatives.

https://blog.templatetoaster.com/how-to-create-bootstrap-website/

Yes you need to pay for it but it's peanuts, I only did a quick look to see what was on offer I'm sure there will be other alternatives but I've not found one that covers CE.

Maybe someone else has found one.

Archived