• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

version with php7.2

zpupster

hello support,

i run OSC 2.3.4 ( frozen or edge ?? do not remember)

today our site was hit with a lot of errors showing on  the homepage.

php version was updated from 5.6 to 7.2. Boss was notified not me.

the provider for this site turned off  errors, so it is time to upgrade.

So what version is working with php 7.2?? 

thanks,

zpupster

If it's 2.3.4BS you're on, it's not Frozen or Edge (perhaps Gold). Anyway, 2.3.4.1BS Edge I think is 7.2 compatible, though you'd have to check with @burt to be sure. If it isn't, it should be close. I don't think Frozen is fully 7.2 compatible, though it shouldn't be too far off (it is PHP 7.1 compatible, if you can get your site backed down to 7.1). Any chance of going to PHP 7.1? It is still in service (is current). I'm not sure, though, that anything earlier than Frozen will work on 7.1 without some fixes.

Mr. Phil,

I am on lunarpages , and they said there was no chance of lowering the php version on the  server.

I thought I had a choice of what php version to use on my  site in Cpanel. I guess not  -now.

alternatively, I could look for another host. I have been with lunarpages for quite some time now. I would hate to change

TY,

Zpupster

@zpupsterYou can add this code to the includes/application_top.php file. Look for the error_reporting line and replace it with these:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT & ~E_USER_DEPRECATED);
  ini_set('display_errors','0'); 

Please note that the above is not a fix. It will just hide, most times, errors from displaying on the shop. It can hide real problems, though that is usually not the case on a working site.

Also, even if your basic shop is compatible with 7.2, that doesn't mean the addons installed are. You would have to look at the messages to know for sure and to get an idea as to how to fix them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@zpupster, Lunarpages has been slowly upgrading its shared servers to 7.2 by default, with 5.6 and 7.1 available. Mine was done just a couple months ago. They added in cPanel (possibly LPCP on your server) a "MultiPHP manager" which lets me select the PHP level -- the default was 7.2, but I set mine back to 7.1 so Frozen would run. They would not force everyone to 7.2 with no way to switch to an earlier version, as that would break too many sites. Obviously you've missed something, or haven't communicated clearly to them what the problem is. There's no way any host is going to change default PHP levels just for one user. If you're not on a shared server, you should have enough control over the PHP version to do the change.

Frozen is 7.1 compliant. I think it still has a lot of problems on 7.2. Edge I think is mostly or entirely 7.2 compliant, but you'll have to check with @burt to be absolutely sure.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:40 PM, MrPhil said:

Edge I think is mostly or entirely 7.2 compliant, but you'll have to check with @burt to be absolutely sure.

7.2 work has not commenced - not enough support in the Community to make it happen in good time.

16 hours ago, Heatherbell said:

@burt

Is there any support we can add? How can we help?

Without getting into too much detail, I have to take time out of my usual schedule to give time to moving osCommerce forward.  I've tried to increase that time in a number of ways, but what I've tried hasn't worked out in the way I'd hoped.  

There's a distinct lack of enthusiasm (amongst most [not all] shopowners), so I am only able to give 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there.  I don't blame shopowners - why give cash/time/effort when someone else will - there are some (not many) shopowners who are willing to be the ones keeping the project alive and I thank them for that. 

I'm aware it's no way to run a project that shopowners depend on, not having regular updates in good time.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:39 AM, Heatherbell said:

@burt

Sincerely hope my comment was not taken as criticism, far from it - sorry if it is naive - just reaching out and genuinely wanted to know how I can add support or help.

While Gary won't mention it -- he is far to humble 😀, you can provide support by purchasing one or more of his excellent add-on modules.   For details see his Club osC forum.  Funds obtained in that way are ear marked by him, so he can to continue provide support for the community versions of osC.

Dan

@Dan Cole

Again, pardon my naivety, I didn't know how to help. Our family business relies on Oscommerce and the core of good people here - our thanks to them. We have just purchased his 28 days 2018 and 28 days 2019 and encourage others to do the same. In themselves worth every penny and more - we can unreservedly recommend them to anybody and burt for his kind, patient and professional support - they also work flawlessly (unlike the (deliberately?) badly coded modules recently flooding the forum by one member which help nobody - I smell a rat - let others beware).

4 hours ago, Heatherbell said:

@Dan Cole

Again, pardon my naivety, I didn't know how to help. Our family business relies on Oscommerce and the core of good people here - our thanks to them. We have just purchased his 28 days 2018 and 28 days 2019 and encourage others to do the same. In themselves worth every penny and more - we can unreservedly recommend them to anybody and burt for his kind, patient and professional support - they also work flawlessly (unlike the (deliberately?) badly coded modules recently flooding the forum by one member which help nobody - I smell a rat - let others beware).

I would say this is an understatement. 🙂

I also purchased 28d19, and it completely changed the looks and functionality in a positive manner.

By the end of Jan. I was in doubt if I would buy it, but now I am very happy with the purchase and looking back there was absolutely no doubt necassary!

I must say that I also purchased one of Gary's theme's which I am very happy with, not ot say extremely happy.

(One thing I cannot comment on, is the other members add-ons, since I have not installed these.)

20 hours ago, Heatherbell said:

@Dan Cole

:thumbsup:

Dan

On 4/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, Heatherbell said:

@Dan Cole

@Heatherbell

If you do not like some addons do not use them, you did not pay for it and therefore you can not complain. It seems to me that you should apologize to that person to whom several others are very grateful.

I appreciate if the administrators ( @Dan Cole  @Harald Ponce de Leon  @burt can make disappear these last unnecessary comments that are only to offend.

Best regards.

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, MrPhil said:

@zpupster, Lunarpages has been slowly upgrading its shared servers to 7.2 by default, with 5.6 and 7.1 available. Mine was done just a couple months ago. They added in cPanel (possibly LPCP on your server) a "MultiPHP manager" which lets me select the PHP level -- the default was 7.2, but I set mine back to 7.1 so Frozen would run. They would not force everyone to 7.2 with no way to switch to an earlier version, as that would break too many sites.

Famous last words. My LP site just got banged when they dropped PHP 5.6 and 7.1 (which I was running on) last night and went to 7.2 ONLY. I just chewed out Support for not only doing this, but failing to notify me about the impending change. Anyway, it looks like getting patches for Frozen to run on 7.2 becomes a high priority, as I don't like simply suppressing "deprecated" warnings.

Update: It turns out they did send emails headlining "5.6 being withdrawn" and saying that 7.2 would be the default and PHP 7 is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nowhere did they mention that PHP 7.1 was also being withdrawn due to "severe security issues". Is anyone familiar with that? I'm willing to go to 7.2, but really got blindsided by their abrupt removal of 7.1 (which is still a supported version). Is this a real problem, or does this host have their head stuck where the sun don't shine?

MrPhil, my shop has been running on 7.2 for allmost 1,5 years now. As far as I know no problems.

Maybe the person who set my shop up took care of patching, but my guess is he did not.

I must say that I make no use of any Paypal module. These modules are a pain at the moment looking at the topics started for support questions at the moment.

Cheers, Rene

If Frozen is running "without problems" on PHP 7.2, either someone patched it or (more likely) suppressed "deprecated" warnings. Eventually, they'll come back to bite you (when that deprecated feature is dropped), so you'd better at least be aware of the situation. I'm starting through it right now, and so far have found a handful of create_function() calls and constructor name = class name issues. I'm sure there's lots more to come -- and that's just the core code.

If anyone can point out already-published work on making Frozen PHP 7.2-compatible, I'd appreciate it. If you want to work with me, splitting up tasks and swapping patches, feel free to PM me or post here or in the Frozen Bugs list. If there's interest, I'd be happy to post my work-in-progress patch list on my site, for you to download and look at. Maybe some of them @burt has so far overlooked in his Edge work, and would be happy to have them brought to his attention?

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

so you'd better at least be aware of the situation

I definetely am.

Also I would be happy to provide a financial contribution to a project, but I think we need more than one person to support....:-)

I am not capable of technically support, I do not have the skills, sorry.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, MrPhil said:

Nowhere did they mention that PHP 7.1 was also being withdrawn due to "severe security issues". Is anyone familiar with that? I'm willing to go to 7.2, but really got blindsided by their abrupt removal of 7.1 (which is still a supported version). Is this a real problem, or does this host have their head stuck where the sun don't shine?

I think this is more likely just an excuse for what they did. If they are using Easy Apache 4, it comes installed with more than one version of php. The host can remove the extra versions and that sounds like what they might have done but it seems like wasted effort to me. If your host uses cPanel, take a look in it to  see if there is a php selector icon. Maybe it's there and the tech you spoke with was not aware of that option.

8 hours ago, MrPhil said:

If anyone can point out already-published work on making Frozen PHP 7.2-compatible, I'd appreciate it.

Frozen won't run 7.2 without warnings. I've posted a fix or two for some known issues in threads where they were needed. But even if did work with 7.2 without warnings, the problem you will have are the addons. Many of those that have been converted, and maybe even some new ones, will need updating and that isn't something that will happen very easily.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

2 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

If your host uses cPanel, take a look in it to  see if there is a php selector icon. Maybe it's there and the tech you spoke with was not aware of that option.

It does, and I already checked. "MultiPHP" offered PHP 5.6, 7.1, and 7.2 until a few days ago. Now it's only 7.2. I get the feeling that someone panicked over some 7.1 vulnerabilities and killed 7.1 rather than wait for the next upgrade (hiding 7.1 in the meantime).

Anyway, I'm looking at what needs to be done to get Frozen happy with 7.2. Just the built-in PayPal app is going to be a monster, merging Gary's changes (some of them for Bootstrap) with the later (5.010) edition in the app (and then various patches floating around and then maybe 5.018 level out-of-the-box). Then who knows how much needs to be done to the rest of Frozen. 😧

I'd be happy to drop the whole project if I could be confident that a stable Edge with full BS4 and 7.2 upgrades and PayPal updated was just around the corner, but I'm not holding my breath. And who knows what Harald is working on... I just can't wait until something shows up there (if it ever does).

Archived